SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    14.5"/16" barrel options nowadays...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

14.5"/16" barrel options nowadays... Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
Picked up an Aero Precision M4E1 lower today, mostly on impulse. Not a big a step up from my usual Anderson Arms fare, but still nice. Gonna get a matching upper and start piecing together a new carbine to be a home for my Saker ASR.

I am floored by the number of barrels out there now. In the past, I've always gotten BCM barrels. I thought I might splurge for something like a Daniel Defense barrel, but they seem to be scarce as hen's teeth now.

Any recommendations? Looking for mid-length, medium profile. I shoot M193 mostly.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16191 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Criterion barrels get a good rep these days, as does Sons of Liberty Gun Works.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Value for money i have been really happy with my raineer barrels

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the price of a typical BCM or DD barrel, you can find options from Wilson Combat. Holiday sales at Wilson generally reduce the price by 20%. Most WC barrels will be made with stainless steel, and they will be among the most accurate barrels you can find for the price range.

Posts: 7886 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've owned 3 Faxon barrels (8" 9mm, 16" "gunner profile" 6.5 Grendel, and a 20" heavy fluted .223 Wylde) , and have been happy with all of them. The 20" will group almost as tight as my bolt-action Savage. They're a good balance of price and quality, and have become my go-to for AR Barrels.

Posts: 8647 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Noveske has some useful barrels.

Posts: 92 | Location: NM | Registered: May 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To date I've used Faxon, Ballistic Advantage, Noveske, BCM...performance-wise I've noticed little difference between them. But that may be due to the skills (or lack thereof) of the "operator" than anything else.

-MG

Posts: 2008 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting on Sons Of Liberty to have the 13.7" back in stock and use their NOX flash hider with it.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I went with one of those Criterion CORE barrels in 14.5. Just gotta wait on it.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16191 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Ballistic Advantage barrel and I'm quite happy with it. The rifle I built from it is quite accurate. I have no complaints about the finish, the cuts are well machined and everything is in spec, all for a very reasonable price.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I built an AR for someone and used an Aero Precision 1\7 chrome lined barrel. Accuracy and reliability was as good as any other rack grade rifle.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post