SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How to shatter an objective lens on a NightForce scope...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to shatter an objective lens on a NightForce scope... Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
This was forwarded to me by our local long range group. These guys are local to me.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yikes! Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
That sucks!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I would have thought the lens would have to be much hotter, but I guess that propellant can come out very cold.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yeah, with the can upside down, the liquid comes out instead of just gas. Pretty much like dry ice.

We use the stuff a lot at work (IT) for when computers come in from the field. Even upright, you can get bursts of the 'liquid' which converts to gas pretty quickly.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you know you're having a bad day when...

------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Yeah, with the can upside down, the liquid comes out instead of just gas. Pretty much like dry ice.

Yep.

You can break open cheap metal locks (bike locks, padlocks, etc.) using a can of compressed air and a hammer. Turn the can upside down, douse the lock with the freezing liquid, then quickly hit it with the hammer. The brittle frozen metal shatters/snaps off.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Well I learned something interesting today....

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The propellant is often a refrigerant, and when they go from high pressure to low pressure they get really cold...

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
That compressed air in a can ain't all it's cracked up to be...

Or is it?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
What's amazing is that if you watch the whole video, the shooter continued with the match and shot quite well, in spite of the disaster.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that’s some rough luck, but good on the shooter for persevering and shooting a great match even with a shattered lens.

I can’t see where I’d need this information for my own purposes, but it seems like an important thing to know and tuck away nonetheless. Thanks, Tony. Smile

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
That's cool he finished.

Yeah physics, gotta suck the fun out of everything.
The glass got hit with a blast of about -100F as the liquid turned to gas.

It's how AC systems work, drop the pressure and it drops the temp when it evaporates.
Blow air over the evaporating freon inside the evaporator and out comes cold air.

I saw a valve break on a 3,000 Gal LPG tank.
By the time it got shut off the entire back end was a solid block of ice.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I wish they got a view through it in that video, I'm curious how much it actually distorted the view.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I’ll bet those auto glass guys could fix that right up.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post