SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bushmaster M17S
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bushmaster M17S Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
Yeah, that's the first bullpup I ever owned. The price was right.

It's interesting seeing the customization now available.

I dumped a lot of rounds through mine, it was nothing if not a typewriter. Other than that it was a pretty accurate brick shaped turd.

I briefly owned a USR during the ban, then a looong hiatus until for a moment new AUGs were MA approved.

Currently, my side chick is totally the KelTec RFB. I sorta feel like I need an X95 just to round out the stable.

Bullpups. I like bullpups a lot. The M17S is not sexy in any way, but I shouldn't have sold it. Not so bad I'll go out of my way to buy one now.

For some reason, the FSgigantic2000 never grabbed me though. Nor did the Pexpensiveanemicammo90.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well as a bullpup guy I would take the FS2000 over the X95 unless the caliber conversions mean something to you. I wanted to love the X95 but real life ownership has dented that. I often wonder given the parts needed how my FS2000 ever runs, but for thousands of rounds it has.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Tell me more of the X95 shortcomings, Usul.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Time Wounds
All Heels.
Picture of Cope
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Yeah, that's the first bullpup I ever owned. The price was right.

It's interesting seeing the customization now available.

I dumped a lot of rounds through mine, it was nothing if not a typewriter. Other than that it was a pretty accurate brick shaped turd.

I briefly owned a USR during the ban, then a looong hiatus until for a moment new AUGs were MA approved.

Currently, my side chick is totally the KelTec RFB. I sorta feel like I need an X95 just to round out the stable.

Bullpups. I like bullpups a lot. The M17S is not sexy in any way, but I shouldn't have sold it. Not so bad I'll go out of my way to buy one now.

For some reason, the FSgigantic2000 never grabbed me though. Nor did the Pexpensiveanemicammo90.

I had a preban M17S that went kaboom on me one day. Out of battery ignition is rough. I sent it back to Busmaster, and not wanting to lose the flash hider when they replaced the receiver, they sent me a factory letter stating that the new serial number replaced the original number. Thus, it was grandfathered as a preban. BM did not charge me a dime, and fully covered it. I sold it years ago, but it was an interesting piece.

I also owned a NIB USR that I never got around to firing during the ban years. Sold it for a slight margin in still unfired condition.

I have had an FS2000 in my pile for years, but have yet to fire it.

When you say "brick shaped turd", and although not a bullpup, the closest thing in my current mess is a BM "Assault Rifle". The receiver is definitely not devoid of sharp edges.

Time marches on...

----------------------------
Evolve. Revolve. Dissolve.

Posts: 1878 | Location: WNC | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Another bull-pup lover here!
The biggest complaint I had about the M-17S was the weight ... I've had several, they keep pulling me back in. My last one, I had the barrel was trimmed to 16.25", receiver slotted, added rails & forward grip and replaced the "carry handle for an optic mount. All the parts came in a couple kits from the company that now owns the new and totally redesigned model and if I come across one of their new ones, I might just have to get it.

Besides the M-17S several AUG's, a PS90, Valmet M82 and a couple other AK type pup's, Tavor (which I disliked even more than the M-17S) ...I never could bring myself to buy an FS-2000 or the new X95, which I may be cheating myself ... But I've decided to just be happy with my AUG A2

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The M17s is a carrier heavy gun, a lot like the USC or Thompson.

The response to the Tavor amuses me, because of all the shitting on the AUG that happened before anyone had experienced the Tavor.

I've handled the X95 enough that I might buy one, but, the advantages over the AUG are limited.

Arc.

Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Arc, I've been following your RFB adventures, and have a strange love of the bullpup myself. My first and only (at present) is a very early AUG A3 (serial #16x). Out of curiosity, how do they decide what's legal in MA - is there any rhyme or reason, or is it arbitrary?

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Currently, it's an ambitious AG who "reinterpreted" established BS permanent AWB law we have thanks to Mitt Romney.

As far as any bullpup, they are "non-AR pattern" so can be sold readily.

Frankly, there is an AUG A1 with a triangular scope I need at my local fun shop which is ancient history. But for everyone else, anything "non-AR pattern" is the prescription right now.

Arc.

Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Currently, it's an ambitious AG who "reinterpreted" established BS permanent AWB law we have thanks to Mitt Romney.

As far as any bullpup, they are "non-AR pattern" so can be sold readily.

Frankly, there is an AUG A1 with a triangular scope I need at my local fun shop which is ancient history. But for everyone else, anything "non-AR pattern" is the prescription right now.

Gotta love those totally rational gun laws. Thanks for the explanation.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Bullpups, levers, anything non-AR has shot up here. Gun laws are stupid.

Arc.

Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there a bullpup conversion for the M1A that came out a few years back? I vaguely remember something about it, but then it seemed to disappear.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
Wasn't there a bullpup conversion for the M1A that came out a few years back? I vaguely remember something about it, but then it seemed to disappear.

Bulldog IIRC was the name

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
There are a few M1A bullpup conversion stocks out there, none of them are cheap. Especially if you don't already have an M1A. Never really interested me, but I bet the trigger is very nice. As long as whatever the transfer bar is, isn't garbage.

Arc.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
<SNIP>

The response to the Tavor amuses me, because of all the shitting on the AUG that happened before anyone had experienced the Tavor.

I've handled the X95 enough that I might buy one, but, the advantages over the AUG are limited.

And few if any of those people that were shitting on the AUG had any experiance with it.

I'll be paying attention to your discovery about the X95 ... It may encourage me to try one on for size ... on the other hand, it's more likely I'll be content with what I have and am familure with.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I consider the X95 wholly redundant to the AUG, but I do feel compelled to own one just to really get into the nitty gritty.

If it's better, great. My AUG is an old chum at this point, and considering when it was developed, I'd say calling it a reliable established platform is warranted. One thing I do need to do is get the NATO stocks.

Arc.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
For some reason, the FSgigantic2000 never grabbed me though.

Well, it surely isn't for everyone, but I'm glad it's still an option for folks in your state. I love my space guns, and I guess I can leave it there since the pros and cons have all been widely discussed all over the internet. Smile

I bought mine after being cured of badly wanting Tavor. A buddy of mine was one of the first on the local waiting list and one of the very first to pick one up in this country, and we were the first ones at our local range with a Tavor. It absolutely cured me of wanting one, on the spot. Just thought it was unimpressive and sucky, with shit balance and uncomfortable handling to boot. Haven't handled or shot an X-95, which theoretically cures most of my issues with the Tavor, but for the price range, I think I'd just rather poney up a bit more and pick up another FS2000 in the original non-rail config.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have a Tavor now and like it; it’s a handy little platform, if a little beefy.

My first bullpup was a Norinco 86S. All metal, reliable, and fun to shoot. I wish I had never horse traded that one off.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Thanks you guys ... Now I'm going to have to clean a bunch of guns again ... All this talk about bullpups and I've got to take the AUG out, and while I was getting it out I figured I might as well take out the whole family ...

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I had a GB for a while. It wasn't reliable, I couldn't find ammo it liked. It was used, no box, so perhaps it had been beat up or something. Interesting guns, on paper. Bit of a brick.

Arc.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a plugged gas port, but you probably checked that.

This is my 3rd one, never had any problems from any of them unless the ammo was underpowered.

I really like the feel, but they are on the heavy side and since they didn't get any military contracts parts are non-existent, but I only gave $700 for it, in the box with extra mag, cleaning tools, manual & warranty card, it's the most complete one I've had.
Other than that, they're kind of like Desert Eagles and HK Mk23's ... I run across them at a good price (cash or trade), completely forgetting why I got rid if the last one ... They're big heavy and don't do anything a Glock17 or Beretta 92 won't do ... but on the "up-side" I've never lost money on any of them Smile