SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Brownells BRN-10 AR-10
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brownells BRN-10 AR-10 Login/Join 
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted
I think I might be in for one of these. Not a perfect clone but pretty darn close. Cool to see some previously unavailable AR variants coming out. Two versions, one in the Dutch style with the brown furniture/ 3 prong flash hider and one in the Portuguese style with black and a different type flash hider. I'd never be able to afford an original, but I think I could have some fun with this one if I had to Wink

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/owKAD0HnGmI

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
I really wish they'd spend a bit more time developing it into a more accurate clone...they went through all this effort to end up with something that's 75% correct, IMO...but maybe this will give the retro community incentive to develop more correct style parts to be retrofitted...who knows.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
I really wish they'd spend a bit more time developing it into a more accurate clone...they went through all this effort to end up with something that's 75% correct, IMO...but maybe this will give the retro community incentive to develop more correct style parts to be retrofitted...who knows.

I'd guess they were trying to make it more compatible with current DPMS/SR25 parts. I'm with you though, I'd have ponied up for a totally correct version. Brownells did listen to a point, originally they were just going to use the normal FSB and late in the game changed it to the correct style after people complained. The biggest cosmetic thing I've noticed is the use of a slip ring instead of the more permanent one piece hand guard..that and the mags.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Andyb,

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I had put down a deposit on one last October(?), got tired of waiting after a couple months, even though I'm not supposed to shoot anything with that heavy of recoil ... I have hopes Mayo Clinic and the med's they have me on can not only stop but reverse my osteoporosis due the steroids a previous doctor had me on but nothing is guaranteed!

I'd heard reports of loose hand guards and there was something else so combined with my other problems I canceled my order ... I do kick myself though for not getting one when ArmaLite re-introduced them a few years back.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
I had put down a deposit on one last October(?), got tired of waiting after a couple months, even though I'm not supposed to shoot anything with that heavy of recoil ... I have hopes Mayo Clinic and the med's they have me on can not only stop but reverse my osteoporosis due the steroids a previous doctor had me on but nothing is guaranteed!

I'd heard reports of loose hand guards and there was something else so combined with my other problems I canceled my order ... I do kick myself though for not getting one when ArmaLite re-introduced them a few years back.

I hope your health improves my friend, and many 308's find their way into your life Wink

Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
I'd guess they were trying to make it more compatible with current DPMS/SR25 parts. I'm with you though, I'd have ponied up for a totally correct version. Brownells did listen to a point, originally they were just going to use the normal FSB and late in the game changed it to the correct style after people complained. The biggest cosmetic thing I've noticed is the use of a slip ring instead of the more permanent one piece hand guard..that and the mags.

Yeah I get that they're trying to do with maximizing the use of existing/off shelf parts, and honestly I wouldn't mind if they kept these on the internal parts.

Truth is, the nature of the retro cloning world places 99.9% of the emphasis on the correctness of appearance.

Without it, it just looks like a cheap knockoff that would satisfy neither the serious collectors nor shooters.

So unless some other company starts to offer clone correct retrofit parts, I find it difficult to justify buying this.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
I hope your health improves my friend, and many 308's find their way into your life Wink

Thank you Andy, I’m the meantime I seem to be doing OK with the 6.5 Creedmoor for my long range stuff

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post