SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Can we talk Ak-47's?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can we talk Ak-47's? Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
Have an AK I'm quite pleased with. A Hungarian parts DDI that I put a Zhukov stock on (Like the lop) their MOE hand guard, and a CAA pistol grip. With one of their MOE attachments I have the ability to go single or dual qd attachment for my sling. Love the setup. Just need a RS regulate and glass and it is finished.

I had my mind or heart set on a VEPR as my primary (I like to have dupes) as I love my VEPR12 but I watched some of Rob's videos (AKOU) of him testing the VEPR (many thousands of rounds) and he said parts are not easy to come by for it should I need them, only one main source. I think long term and I had a line on one of the last VEPR's remaining. One of the wood/thumb hole stock versions. It was under $1k which in today's prices, well they are what they are. That line about the parts got me thinking...I want to buy a 2nd AK but I want a quality version, that will be my primary, one that will last me the rest of my life, a hoss, and one I can get parts for it should I need it. So now background is out of the way...the questions.

1. VEPR AK parts that difficult or PITA to get should I need them?
2. That thumb hole wooden stock, can the Zhukov and MOE furniture (CAA pistol grip) be mounted up easily? Will I need to install a tang?
3. Should I just step up to an Arsenal?
4. If Arsenal Milled or stamped? And which model considering I'm gonna replace the stock, and hand guard with Magpul furniture, as well as the grip. I really like the SAM7SF but seems a shame to buy it only to take it apart and replace the folding stock that comes with it. The Zhukov stock has the ability to really lengthen the LOP and it fits my long arms. MOE hand guard is a given as well since it allows great attachment possibilities for whatever I may do. I have the CAA grip on my VEPR 12, DDI, and even had it on my SIG556.
5. Which milled Aresenal model do you recommend and from where?
6. Anything else you recommend I'm all ears.

I want to narrow it down, plan the funds out over the next few. o this or go ahead and get a VEpR while I still can provided I can mod it how I want. TIAFAR.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Apparently VEPR parts supply has always been a little hit or miss. I went ahead and jumped at the last minute just because I think I can still find any parts I'm likely to need. Having said that...

The slant-back VEPR will require an adapter to mount any other kind of stock. The adapters on the market (Krebs, ACE, Desert Fox) reportedly work well, but getting a neat fit to the back of the receiver may take some luck and some work. There are a variety of adapters on the market to accommodate rifles with or without the tang, and I would recommend against removing a tang unless you're absolutely certain you'll keep the rifle as is or getting the tang welded back on is no big deal.

It does sound like an Arsenal may be your best bet. I like stamped because they're lighter and I already own heavy AKs (OPAPs). If you'd like a heavier rifle, my advice would be to go ahead and shell out for one of the last of the VEPR FM-11s out there. If nothing else, you won't need a slant back adapter (I think a MagPul would slot right in, but doublecheck that).

If you need a longer stock, you need a longer stock. It makes no sense to pay a premium for a folder you'll replace. In that connection, the Arsenal can accomodate various stocks with the proper adaptors/hinges in place. May I suggest looking at CNC Warrior's website as well if you haven't already done that yet?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
1. Now that Molot is on the Russian banned list parts might be even more scarce than before when Rob did his video.

2. Here is a link describing what will be needed to convert the stock. Looks to be a PITA to me but I'm not mechanically inclined.
Converting a Vepr

3. The Arsenals are one of the few true imports left available in the U.S. market. If this is important to you it is about the only option. Note, there have been some recent complaints about the Arsenal finish and some having canted sights.

4. Depends on what your budget is. If it were me & I was swapping out the stock, I would go with the milled SAM7 fixed stock version as it is cheaper than the side folding model.

5. I do my AK47 shopping at Atlantic Firearms. They have competitive pricing and stand behind their products.

6. I am seriously considering a Polish WBP from Atlantic. I'm just waiting on their run of WBPs with Russian Red furniture to show up on their site. The specs and reviews are very good on the WBPs. They also offer a barreled DIY kit that can save you some money if you are replacing the furniture anyway. Another worth considering is the DAKM-4150; a bit pricey and I still like the barrel on the WBP better. I also concur with Il Cattivo's recommendation on the Vepr FM-11. I was fortunate to pick one up before the ban and it is one heck of rifle; fit and finish are perfect and the only rifle I have ever purchased that was zeroed right out of the box.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Milled Sam7 is looking like "the" one. I don't want to mess with doing backflips to mount a Magpul Zhukov stock. The Hungarian parts DDI I have, only took some light sanding of the MOE handguard to get it to fit. The Zhukov stock, and CAA grip went right on with nary an issue. It was a pretty simple process. The RPK based VEPR, especially the thumb hole wooden stock version already seems like a PITA from what you are guys are saying. I'm still sore how limited this all getting as I really wanted some time for another 47, then a 74, but it is what is. Not gonna bitch, just narrowing down what is left and trying to ascertain what we have available and the best choice. I think the Sam7 fixed stock is the best suggestion so far. Thank you.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Yet another vote for the Arsenal Arms Milled AK.

I researched AKs of all flavors before my purchase. The Arsenal is a little more pricey, but I'm glad I went this route.

You will be too.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
What spare parts would you possibly need for a Vepr?

Anything you might need you can get after market parts for.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
If you shoot a lot of steel cased ammo the extractor will probably be the first part to wear out. Vepr specific extractors are very hard to find right now. I just checked and it looks like the same extractor is used in 7.62x39 caliber Saiga based rifles, including SGL20, SGL21, SGL23, SGL24 series, Izhmash Russia. Those are all out of stock, too.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The word going around on VEPR extractors is twofold:

- The extractors with a history of needing replacement are those on 7.62x54R rifles

- VEPR AK74 extractors can be fitted to 7.62x39 VEPRs and work just fine

FWIW, a company called Texas Shooters' Supply is making and selling the 74 extractors. I wound up ordering a pair of VEPR OE extractors myself, so there may be more out there.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
This is a VEPR x54 that I converted from a thumbhole model.

Having built a lot of AK's, I really don't see much of any parts that aren't interchangeable with standard parts, other than the bolt.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormwalker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Milled Sam7 is looking like "the" one. I don't want to mess with doing backflips to mount a Magpul Zhukov stock. The Hungarian parts DDI I have, only took some light sanding of the MOE handguard to get it to fit. The Zhukov stock, and CAA grip went right on with nary an issue. It was a pretty simple process. The RPK based VEPR, especially the thumb hole wooden stock version already seems like a PITA from what you are guys are saying. I'm still sore how limited this all getting as I really wanted some time for another 47, then a 74, but it is what is. Not gonna bitch, just narrowing down what is left and trying to ascertain what we have available and the best choice. I think the Sam7 fixed stock is the best suggestion so far. Thank you.

The Magpul Zhukov stock is not compatible with milled receivers! I own a Sam7sf, and the OEM folding stock is NATO length rather then the shorter Warsaw length common for AK's.

Posts: 544 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Magpul Zhukov stock is not compatible with milled receivers! I own a Sam7sf, and the OEM folding stock is NATO length rather then the shorter Warsaw length common for AK's.

I had the Magpul Zhukov mounted on my Century CV2 (milled) just fine. It was a tad tight to fit, but once on, worked fine.

Posts: 379 | Location: Shenandoah Valley - VA | Registered: February 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormwalker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EkimSig:
quote:

I had the Magpul Zhukov mounted on my Century CV2 (milled) just fine. It was a tad tight to fit, but once on, worked fine.

From Magpul's website:

quote:
*NOTE: Due to the wide range of tolerances of your typical AK, minor fitting of the stock may be required. Not compatible with Yugo pattern AK's or the Norinco Type 56S/MAK-90 due to differences in the trunnion’s tang. Also not compatible with traditional milled receiver rifles.

A Sam7 would need to be modified. Here is video of a Sam7 being converted to an ace stock. Look at the length and angle of the 2 receiver tangs; no way is the Zhukov going to plug and play. The 8 minute mark of the video depicts it!

Posts: 544 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post