SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bought a Ruger PC9, need rec for a rail mount optic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a Ruger PC9, need rec for a rail mount optic Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
Hi guys,

This will sound odd, but I have never owned an optic of any kind (ok ... glasses and jewelers loupes). But for a gun rail, nope. I just bought a Ruger PC9 9mm with a rail which I intend to make useful as a defensive weapon for 5 - 50 meter kind of ranges. I'm not interested in reaching<i> way</i> out, and frankly, neither myself, nor that rifle/caliber combination would likely be very good at it.

I like the idea of something that allows easy use of either the optic or the iron sights. Not sure that that's an option, but where it is, please mention that. What do you think? Any ideas? Maybe something Red dot? EOTECH?

Price range? Well, ideally probably $500 or less. But I'm as crazy as the next guy, so.... Who knows.

Thanks all!

Posts: 11376 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I just recently purchased a Scorpion and put a optic on it. A Sig Romeo MSR. My first optic as well. I wanted to full cowitness with the iron sights. Being my first optic I wasn't familiar with the ins and outs of mounting. Turns out the mounting is all wrong for the gun. It came with a tall mount when a low rail mount is needed.

I need to buy a new mount. I'm suspecting you will run into the same thing with the Ruger PCC. Nice gun btw which version did you go with?

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8522 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I use the Sig Romeo 5 --red dot and I can co- witness using the standard sights.

See M carbo upgrades--charging handle and trigger are worth while. The buffer retaining clip is polymer--stainless is a better option. The extractor has been know to cause stovepipes.
https://www.mcarbo.com/ruger-p...ine-accessories.aspx
The Tandem Cross fiber optic front sight is also a worthwhile upgrade.
https://www.tandemkross.com/Fi...%E2%84%A2_p_606.html
The Romeo 5 with Fiber optic fills the bill for 5-50 meters. The PC9 is a beefed up version of the Ruger 10/22. Paired with a Glock 19--it makes a good defensive combo.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always say get an aimpoint red dot if your considering it a serious gun. The others are just wannabe's in having a track record of durability. the cheapest of the aimpoints is the PRO, but depending on your setup the size of the included mounting knob may be an issue, but with no experience try it first. I don't have the PC9 so I can't say about cowitnessed irons, I would assume that you use the rail for the rear and an mloc slot rail for the front, but I'm sure an internet search will tell you the how.
If its a play gun any of the available red dots will be fine to start.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Forget the red dot, a flash light is FAR more important for a defensive use gun. Mount a quality flash light with a quality mount, use the gun as is for a year or two, and then decide if you want to mount a red dot on it.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will certainly support you need a light. But you need sights on the gun as well and I don't know of anyone who is serious about getting good results with a rifle that doesn't put an optic on it (rules, gun setup, eyes and money all variables).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put a Vortex Viper on mine. Works good so far!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Ruger PCC Carbines. One has a Vortex optic, (sorry, I don't remember the model), and the other has a more traditional scope ... A Vortex Crossfire 1-4 Power. Being that I'm closer to seasoned citizen than a young buck, I lean toward the gun with the traditional scope more. From 50 feet to 50 yards, she'll easily make a single ragged hole iffin I do my part.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I watched a Youtube comparison of red dot to holo-sights (Eotech). I guess now I'm probably leaning toward the latter.

Posts: 11376 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post