SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rifle manufacturer's and cryo treating barrels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle manufacturer's and cryo treating barrels Login/Join 
posted
Years ago there was a company that offered a " harmonic balancing "
flash suppressor .

You could tune your rifle to a specific ammo.

It lasted about 2 - 3 years.

I am wondering if anyone offers a cryo dipped barrel ,straight from the factory ?

Would cryo dipping a newly purchased rifle void any warranties ? that might apply.

Or would a shooter just replace the o.e.m. barrel with an after market barrel, from the get ,go ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about Browning's BOSS system?

Anyways, does cryogenic treatment change the look of a barrel? If not, I'm not sure that a manufacturer would even know that it was was ever done. I doubt it would affect a warranty.

There are scope makers out there that still warrant their scopes even after a 3rd party company cerakotes them, saying as long as the new finish didn't cause the problem, then the warranty is still valid. I'd think the same would apply with a rifle.

IIRC, Benelli Lupo was advertised as having a cryogenically treated barrel.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Years ago there was a company that offered a " harmonic balancing "
flash suppressor .

You could tune your rifle to a specific ammo.

It lasted about 2 - 3 years.

I am wondering if anyone offers a cryo dipped barrel ,straight from the factory ?

Would cryo dipping a newly purchased rifle void any warranties ? that might apply.

Or would a shooter just replace the o.e.m. barrel with an after market barrel, from the get ,go ?

I know Rock River Arms Cryogenically treats the barrels on their X1 series of AR15's. Others may as well.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Benelli R1 rifle in 30.06 has a cryo treated barrel from the factory.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
JP Enterprise barrels are cryo’d ... there used to be a couple companies that did it, used barrels would come back with the bore full of all the crap squeezed out, I guess 300 degrees below zero does that.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

JP's website states that they cryo their barrels. JP barrels for ARs definitely shoot well. I don't know if JP cryos the barrels while they are blanks, or after the barrel is completely cut and finished.

Krieger cryos their barrel blanks -- raw rods of steel -- prior to cutting the bore and the profile. My most accurate AR15 barrel is a Krieger, so maybe there's something to it. It's my understanding that using the cryo process to a barrel blank might complete the heat-based stress relief of manufacturing a barrel blank.

It's my understanding that Bartlein doesn't cryo their barrels. My second most accurate AR15 barrel is a Bartlein. I am very pleased with the accuracy of my bolt action Bartlein barrels.

I have a number of Wilson Combat AR15 barrels which are not cryo treated. They all shoot really well -- although not quite up to the accuracy of Bartlein and Krieger.

Cryo treating a barrel after it's left the manufacturer's hands doesn't seem to be very popular. Website reports of improvement from the cryo process are mixed.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I can tell you about a Savage 110 in .223 that I had The Cryo process done on. It had a 20” heavy barrel that would consistently shoot a tight 4 shot group of 1/4” to 3/8” at 100 yards. But in every instance the fifth round would be a flier. Ammo made no difference at all.... always the same flier.

A fried was having a few of his rifles Cryoed so I thought what the heck, take my 110 along as well. So imagine my surprise at the first range trip with four or five different types of ammo and that rifle shot five round groups of 1/4” all the time! I swear by the process!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post