SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recommend AR for 1st Time Buyer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend AR for 1st Time Buyer Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
A buddy of mine at work has a $1200 budget and wants to get his first AR configured for home defense/range use. My first thought is a Colt LE6920...thoughts?

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned a couple Wyndham Arms AR-15s and always liked them. Great fit and finish and never gave me any problems. Mine were the M-4 style with collapsible stock and detachable carry handle so I mounted aimpoint sights on them.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I'd start with a Ruger or Springfield and move up from there.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
You won't find a LE6920 for 1200.00, unless you know someone who's got a used one and wants to sell it.

Save your money and get a Ruger, Springfield or S&W MP15.
I've had excellent experience with a 700.00 Springfield SAINT. Then he's got $$ for a nice red dot, ammo.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the money S&W and Ruger make great guns. They offer a good gun and with the money you save, you can buy other things like extra mags, ammo, an optic, charging handles,etc..

Colts are nice but to me, they offer nothing more than a name. As many brands that are on the market now, there are the same or better options. Spikes, Daniel Defense or BCM rifles can be had for $1200.00 or less, if you want to go on the higher end of the market without breaking the bank. Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My first thought was M&P Sport II. Would leave some budget available for accessories & ammo.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
BCM complete upper $674

paired with a complete lower from Aero or Anderson sub $200

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had experience with the Windham, Colt 6920, and S&W M&P Sport. I don't have any experience with the Ruger. None of the three gave me any problems.

My preference among the three would be the Windham due to the fit and finish. As mentioned, the Colt would be hard to find unless you are willing to pay a premium. The Sport II is a bargain at their current prices (~$500).

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Bravo Company.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to say colt was just a Rollmark but after spending time working on a fleet of guns I'll say I think they are a great bar. I expect what comes out of the box to be well put together and function properly for many moons. Bcm is also a good one if you can find either in the price range. Just be aware there's a similarly named Colt competition brand that is not colt to my knowledge.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Ruger AR556 & use the difference to buy ammo

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’d wait until a few hundred more is saved up and get a BCM or DD. Or a colt 6920 or 6720.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
https://palmettostatearmory.co...ength-rifle-kit.html

Barrel is made of FN's proprietary 'Machine Gun Steel'. Same steel as used in the M249 SAW. Hammer forged. Bolt is made by Toolcraft.

Pick out a lower of his choice and have an excellent rifle.

Tell him to spend the extra money on a good optic. Unless he already has a separate optic budget.

If the $1200 was his total budget, I wouldn't even consider spending it all on the rifle alone.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend a Ruger AR556 MPR - it is several steps above the base economy models, and only slightly more $$.

Peter

Posts: 89 | Location: Chesapeake, VA | Registered: September 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt makes a good AR-15. However, so do many other manufacturers / assemblers. Putting together a serviceable AR isn't rocket science or nuclear physics -- it's been done for decades. Buying a Colt is fine if your buddy plans to resell it. Ask how many people sell their ARs. Cue the cricket sound....

Some things to consider in an AR-15:
- Assuming this will be a 16" barrel AR, look for a mid-length gas system. The carbine-length gas system needs to go away.
- Look for a free floated barrel. Non-free-floated systems need to go away.
- Assuming a free floated barrel will be purchased, look for a modern rail system. Quad rails need to go away. I recommend MLok system.
- Look for a barrel with a twist rate of 1:8 or 1:7. The 1:9 barrels need to go away.
- Assume that unless a good trigger is listed with the rifle, budget for a quality replacement trigger.
- Have your buddy consider if he wants to use iron sights, a red dot, or a low powered variable optic. Consider this in the purchase price.
- Budget for a reasonable supply of magazines. Buy good magazines -- Magpul, USGI, Lancer are a few options.

Budget for reasonable-quality ammo to learn how to shoot an AR15. Buy a bunch and practice, practice, practice.

When your buddy shoots enough that he wears out gas rings, wears out a bolt, bends a firing pin retaining pin, shoots out a barrel --- then we can discuss premium-priced ARs.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Ruger AR556 & use the difference to buy ammo

This right here.

Plus, buying mags, etc.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Colt makes a good AR-15. However, so do many other manufacturers / assemblers. Putting together a serviceable AR isn't rocket science or nuclear physics -- it's been done for decades. Buying a Colt is fine if your buddy plans to resell it. Ask how many people sell their ARs. Cue the cricket sound....

Some things to consider in an AR-15:
- Assuming this will be a 16" barrel AR, look for a mid-length gas system. The carbine-length gas system needs to go away.
- Look for a free floated barrel. Non-free-floated systems need to go away.
- Assuming a free floated barrel will be purchased, look for a modern rail system. Quad rails need to go away. I recommend MLok system.
- Look for a barrel with a twist rate of 1:8 or 1:7. The 1:9 barrels need to go away.
- Assume that unless a good trigger is listed with the rifle, budget for a quality replacement trigger.
- Have your buddy consider if he wants to use iron sights, a red dot, or a low powered variable optic. Consider this in the purchase price.
- Budget for a reasonable supply of magazines. Buy good magazines -- Magpul, USGI, Lancer are a few options.

Budget for reasonable-quality ammo to learn how to shoot an AR15. Buy a bunch and practice, practice, practice.

When your buddy shoots enough that he wears out gas rings, wears out a bolt, bends a firing pin retaining pin, shoots out a barrel --- then we can discuss premium-priced ARs.

Excellent advice.

Except I would urge any first time buyer to skip the iron sights entirely, or add BUIS later, if they feel they must, as budget allows.

I bought into it, and I built a KISS rifle first.

I learned a few things when I went to a decent quality optic:

- You can't shoot what you can't see. People often evaluate iron sights based on bright, highly contrasting targets, and ideal lighting conditions.

- It is dark almost half of the time. Iron sights (with a few small exceptions) suck when the sun goes down.

- Add a white light. Any firearm without one is lacking for home defense. Target identification is crucial.

I would much rather have a $600 AR, 10 PMAGS ($100), 1000 rounds of ammo to get acquainted with the rifle ($300), and to squeak in under that $1200 budget I would probably look for a gently used LPVO. That might be tough for $200 to get a quality unit so I might acquiesce for a red dot sight.

Spending $1200 on a rifle and only having money left to take 50 rounds of ammo to the range doesn't sound appealing to me.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
BCM. I built my first few Bravos with PSA lowers and lower parts kits. I upgraded to better triggers after a while. I now have a Bravo lower to go on it, but I never regretted that decision. BCM is really good stuff.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
BCM all day every day.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I would suggest he option out several different directions and weigh his preferences...

This is slightly over budget. He could go with a lesser optic and still be fine. Or he could buy half as many magazines and half a case of ammo. He will need to source a local stripped lower for this option. $40-$50...