SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recommend AR for 1st Time Buyer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend AR for 1st Time Buyer Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
IndianaBoy, could you share the name of that sight?

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19 | Location: FL | Registered: April 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
I would suggest he option out several different directions and weigh his preferences...

This is slightly over budget. He could go with a lesser optic and still be fine. Or he could buy half as many magazines and half a case of ammo. He will need to source a local stripped lower for this option. $40-$50...

Nice example IndianaBoy.

I think the rifle below is very similar to one I brought a year or two ago. Its the only non-chromed lined rifle I have. It is nitride coated inside and out though. It is also my favorite in terms of balance - just something about how it feels in my hands.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...-lok-rail-black.html

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
Its the only non-chromed lined rifle I have. It is nitride coated inside and out though.

For the OP:
Having a chrome lined barrel is a personal choice, depending on the shooting needs. Chrome lining noticeably increases the life of the barrel, because chrome is harder than the steels used in barrels. Chrome is a surface coating, and thus changes the dimensions of the bore and the chamber -- making them slightly smaller. A barrel to be chrome lined should have slightly larger internal dimensions prior to being lined than one that will not be chrome lined.

Nitride coating is another method of hardening the steel's interior surfaces. Nitriding does this without adding a layer to the steel, and thus a different size chamber/bore isn't required for a barrel that will be nitrided. I don't know if there have been any definite tests which compare the effective life of nitrided versus chrome lined barrels.

Chrome lined barrels are well known for having worse accuracy than unlined barrels. This is almost certainly due to inconsistencies in applying the chrome lining. Depending on the shooter's needs, these accuracy differences may be inconsequential. I am not aware of accuracy issues with nitrided barrels. Also, when the chrome eventually flakes off the interior of a chrome lined barrel, accuracy goes south really fast and is quite noticeable.

For the majority of shooters this whole wrangling over barrel life is a moot point. Most AR owners never shoot a single AR enough over the course of their lifetime to wear out a barrel. Furthermore, if the AR owner isn't concerned about gnat's ass accuracy at extended distances, a little less accuracy due to barrel wear may not be noticed.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
IndianaBoy, could you share the name of that sight?

Palmetto State Armory.

I have been running a rifle hard, suppressed, with a PSA bolt carrier group and barrel, for quite a while now.

It is not as accurate as my more expensive barrels, but I have shot 10" steel plates out to 600 yards with it.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
If you've ever had a chrome lined bore and the chrome lining starts to detach from the surface, accuracy goes to shit real quick. I've had it happen more than once.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
If money is really an issue, you can't go wrong with a PSA rifle.

If you do have a few bucks to spend, I would look at the following (in no particular order):

Colt 6920 --- > there are some around; Arms Unlimted has them for $975 (and as of this post, it is in stock)...

BCM4

Daniel Defense

LMT

If you really want to spend some cash...there's Noveske and LaRue.

If the person in question can, save up some money and purchase a rifle from a known quality maker. Chrome bore and chamber, 4150 steel barrel, etc.

***Next, invest in ammo and magazines (minimum 10 magazines per rifle; more if you plan on training).

***Red dot or low power optic...buy once, cry once: Aimpoint, Trijicon, etc.

***TRAINING!!! At the very least, a one-day carbine class will do volumes for the shooter.

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I’d wait until a few hundred more is saved up and get a BCM or DD. Or a colt 6920 or 6720.

That's what I would does well.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I think BCM make a great rifle right around that price point.

As some others have mentioned, save a little more for a better rifle. I can't tell you how many guns and tools I've bought the lower priced one and later bought what I really wanted.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Ruger MPR,Great trigger,Magul hardware and a nice fore arm. Bought Magpul MBUS sights,a BCM 3 charging handle and will throw a Vortex Strikefire 2 scope on it. Less than 1k$ into it.

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Spikes Tactical mid-length and a red dot and flashlight would be a good option.

I would have said a Colt 6720 pencil barrel carbine but they impossible to find now.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
BCM would be a great choice at that price point. I have a rifle with a lower I put together with a PSA lower build kit and a BCM upper that shoots better than I do. It's a 16" mid-length upper with an MLOK rail and it's fantastic.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
Palmetto has the SW Sport 2 for $519 shipped. It simply cannot be beat for the dollars spent.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post