SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bolt Carrier Group for Colt Lower
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt Carrier Group for Colt Lower Login/Join 
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted
I have a LE6920 lower headed my way that I assume will have the web sear block. I’ve read much conflicting info regarding what BCG will and won’t fit. In searching for a decent upper, I’ve noticed that most manufacturers are shipping their complete uppers with m16 profile BCGs. Will these work with the Colt lowers with the web sear block?

Posts: 600 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait until your lower comes in to confirm but I am pretty sure the 6920 series does use a seat block like the older sporters did. Should work with any ar profile carrier, semi or full auto profile

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
6920 lowers do not have sear blocks. Any standard profile BCG will work. You will not need a "half moon" BCG or other silliness.

Colt has not installed sear blocks in new-production lowers for the last decade, if not two decades.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
6920 lowers do not have sear blocks. Any standard profile BCG will work. You will not need a "half moon" BCG or other silliness.

Colt has not installed sear blocks in new-production lowers for the last decade, if not two decades.

My 2008 production 6920 has the sear block in it.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You sure on this issue. I have 6920's from that time and a bunch of others and the web is not a sear block and any carrier is fine. In fact the factory ones are FA.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
My LE marked 6940 has an internal sear block with FA carrier. If it is a pinned sear block, a FA carrier won't work, because they protrude above the receiver, but those are in the older Colt's.

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If the lower is blocked, do what I did for my old Colt Sporter Lightweight: Lewis Machine & Tool L7A3 SA BCG

If it's a recent production Colt lower, it won't be blocked, and in that case, I recommend the Colt FA BCG.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
Here is a good link showing the difference in Colt lowers.
https://geissele.com/colt-rifle-users-guide/

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
quote:

That's surprising and disappointing.

None of the 6940s and 6920s that came through my shop had sear blocks.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Do you mean a web left in the lower where the seat would reside or the actual sear block that was pinned into the lower? I am on my phone or I would link a photo.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post

Only type 2 causes issues with a BCG.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mettlepig:
Here is a good link showing the difference in Colt lowers.

Oops, didn't see this was already posted.

Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
quote:

Do you mean a web left in the lower where the seat would reside or the actual sear block that was pinned into the lower? I am on my phone or I would link a photo.

It's the web sear block per the OP's description in his post. I realize there were pinned sear blocks in older Colt lowers. Newer production Colt lowers have neither.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
quote:

It's the web sear block per the OP's description in his post. I realize there were pinned sear blocks in older Colt lowers. Newer production Colt lowers have neither.

I see the new ones all the time with the block.
Here is a pretty new one that shows it:
http://upstatearmorygroup.com/...pped-lower-receiver/

Administrator
posted Hide Post
For clarification: my comments with regard to Colt installing sear blocks were only in regard to the old pinned-in style (as this the pinned in blocks are the only ones that require special carriers).