SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Colt halting long gun production for consumer market
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt halting long gun production for consumer market Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
And today's Wall Street Journal tried to do the same thing on page B1. Weird.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its funny how this story has been popping up in the mainstream media. It was mentioned on a local DFW news broadcast the other day. Somehow they conveniently forgot to mention that the market is saturated and Colt wants/needs to focus on their military contracts. They couldn’t be any more transparent with their agenda trying to make it look like Colt is backing away from civilian sales as some sort of gun control stand. Pitiful.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And now there is this article on FOX NEWS. It basically says the same thing. They have excess inventory, have military contracts to fill, etc. I think it's a marketing ploy to sell the civilian inventory they have faster......Why else would it be in the media so much? AR manufacturers doing production in batches is nothing new, Colt has plenty of inventory to carry them over for several months while they focus on military production.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/col...nLzWHqPEIiTwOc-RHAcU

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was their most recent award (from Defense.gov, 19 Sept):

"Colt's Manufacturing Co. LLC, West Hartford, Connecticut, was awarded a $41,924,594 firm-fixed-price Foreign Military Sales (Afghanistan, Bahrain, Djibouti, Federated States of Micronesia, Hungary, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Macedonia, Marshall Islands, Palau, St. Vincent and Grenadines, and Tunisia) contract for production for the M4 and M4A1 carbines. One bid was solicited with one bid received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of Sept. 18, 2024. U.S. Army Contracting Command, New Jersey, is the contracting activity (W15QKN-19-D-0116)."

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
So that's virtue signaling looks like.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So...I’m not a competitive shooter, but I have shot plenty of AR15s both at the range and for hunting. There are many good, competent choices out there but of all that I’ve shot, my LE6920 stands above the rest. No wiggly furniture, everything fits well, no rattles. My wife’s Bushmaster is a decent AR but, side by side, you can see and feel the quality of the Colt. That tightness and ease of operation translates to better accuracy in practical shooting. Now, I’ve never fired a Wilson AR, but I also know they’re much more expensive. Based on their 1911s, perhaps it’s worth it. But...of the dozen or so different brands I’ve shot, nothing will give you a better AR than Colt, for the price. YMMV

I’d take their explanation for the discontinuance at face value. They’re a good company, a much better one than 20 years ago. Give them a chance.

Posts: 36 | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a Highpower Competitive shooter, I've built several match grade AR's.
I was always told spend the real money on the trigger and barrel/upper.

I have 2 built on older Bushmaster Lowers, and one on an RRA Lower.

Various triggers, barrels.

All served me well on the firing line.

It all proved the olde saying "It's not the arrows, it's the Indians."

Colt temporarily diverting production to Military Contracts?

Good Business for them possibly. Plenty of other quality lowers, triggers, barrels available for various needs.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vero8:
Vero, where you been, man? Good to see you. Smile

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The BS news media will publicize anything they believe will give the impression that a company involved in selling guns or ammunition has seen the light and is repenting of its evil ways by limiting or, even better, ending its trafficking in the blood of innocents. Walmart’s decision about limiting ammunition sales didn’t get all that coverage because the media was doing a good public service deed to help someone who was looking for 5.56 ammunition avoid a wasted trip to the store or because the news business companies were in WM’s pocket.

The hope of the antigunners with such tactics is 1. that it will remind their followers that guns and ammo are evil, 2. that some businesses will be woke enough to realize the fact and take action to limit their further involvement in the vile trade, and 3. that other companies will be so impressed with the favorable publicity their competitors received that they will follow suit—and which will serve as the basis of further similar stories with which to entertain, astound, and/or infuriate their audiences.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47368 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Vero8:
Vero, where you been, man? Good to see you. Smile

-------------------
I'm still lurking around Cool I can't stay away form this place.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Folks are paying some nutty prices on GB for 6920 variants. And ignoring the pre-ban Colt stuff which is actually better made.

I scored a blue label R6601 this week for less than the going rate of a used 6920. Go figure.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post