SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Colt halting long gun production for consumer market
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt halting long gun production for consumer market Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
As outsiders, we rarely understand the market conditions of any company. It does make sense that Colt has a bunch of unsold civilian rifles in the distribution network -- probably just like many companies that produce ARs right now. I hope that switching production emphasis helps Colt get through their production & supply challenges.

Colt makes a good AR with a good reputation. Just look at the number of threads which recommend "just get a 6920" to new AR-15 buyers. A little lube, a little cleaning & maintenance, and a Colt just keeps running.

However, making a quality AR must not be a secret, as there are many manufacturers which also have the AR-15 down pat. IMO Colt uses great uppers and lowers, great BCGs, and quality parts for the rest of the rifle that just makes it work. But IMO Colt has been slow to understand what many American buyers want for the buttstock, handguard, trigger, and barrel.

I see a bunch of ARs in the competition circles of precision, tactical, team, and 3-gun matches. There are ARs with Colt uppers, lowers, and BCGs, but rarely complete Colt rifles. One will see complete rifles from the likes of JP, Noveske, LaRue, LMT, LWRC, DD, Wilson Combat, Rock River, and KAC in competition. IMO all of these latter companies offer barrels with greater accuracy than those from Colt.

Stepping up the accuracy game even further often means an aftermarket barrel. Think Krieger, Bartlein, Proof Research -- chambered by the likes of Compass Lake, White Oak, Craddock Precision. Here's where we start seeing true 1/2 MOA ARs, not just the "all day long, when I do my part" interwebz boasting ARs.

It all depends on what one wants from an AR. Colt makes quality ARs. But they are not necessarily the best product for all users, in all situations.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:
quote:
I agree. they don't listen to the consumer. And that isnt going to cut it in this current market. Their rifles arent any better than anybody elses!!!! So the over priced pre ban mags are the only thing of theirs I will own!!!

really?? their rifles are better than 90% of the cheap crap ARs out there and all 8 of my Colts will shoot with, if not better than Noveske, DD, LMT, BCM etc

agree to disagree!

Ive got a couple DD rifles Id offer up for that challenge.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I agree. they don't listen to the consumer. And that isnt going to cut it in this current market. Their rifles arent any better than anybody elses!!!! So the over priced pre ban mags are the only thing of theirs I will own!!!

really?? their rifles are better than 90% of the cheap crap ARs out there and all 8 of my Colts will shoot with, if not better than Noveske, DD, LMT, BCM etc

agree to disagree!

Hell, I'll put 2 of my PSA builds in this Pepsi challenge too just to show that Colt isn't anything special.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
I wish you two sharpshooters were closer to me...id hutt some feelings with my Colts. Smile

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish you two sharpshooters were closer to me...id hutt some feelings with my Colts. Smile

We dont have to be close. I have Colts too, the 4 or 5 Ive owned dont shoot as well as my DD. The HBAR 20in I have here is a little over MOA.

I dont doubt that Colt can produce a sub moa gun or that you're in possession of them. I'm also not referring to just accuracy. Lots of AR's can shoot accurately until they stop shooting altogether. I wouldn't be butt hurt at all, I paid the same for my rifles as most people do for a Colt and feel I got a better product with better control over production.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
WarPig, im just bustin balls. Smile there are higher end ARs out there, but I feel like, for the money, you just cant beat a Colt. 3 of mine will shoot MOA with quality ammo and the others are close. ive owned Colts since I left the military in 92 and ive never had an issue, not anything. I like a lot of the higher end ARs but if I can buy 2 Colts for the price of one DD, Noveske, POF..ill do that. I can rely on them 100% with zero concerns.

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Email from distributor RSR Group to their retailers

Not clear if it is a temporary halt to production, but I have a feeling, Colt being on shaky ground, that it might be permanent. Long downslide for a once great American company.

Yeah, this is Fake News and even that cesspool called TTAG has walked back their bullshit.

The author of this email has been fired.

Colt has 4 months of inventory out in distribution. They are temporarily shifting production to fulfill foreign military sales contracts. Colt is in business to make money. Civilian AR sales are slow, FMS are cash flow for Colt.

To clarify, Colt is nkt rating to “regain” contracts, they HAVE the contracts and need to fulfill them ASAP.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm..ok once inventory is gone may be an opportunity to dust off the old Colts and see if the collector market picks up some steam eh?? Razz

Luckily I was able to pick up a CCU upper from Brownells on special...they went back up to regular price over $700.00. Colt discontinued the CCU 6960, still available (maybe) plus some uppers, Colt 6920 lowers are hard to find right now ($$$).

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:
...that cesspool called TTAG...
HCM, I don't really know you, but you're OK by me. You strike me as a perceptive man. Smile

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
quote:
quote:

agree to disagree!

Hell, I'll put 2 of my PSA builds in this Pepsi challenge too just to show that Colt isn't anything special.

Yup.

A Colt is still a reliable buy. However.

It's 2019. The AR market has many high quality options. 20 years ago, the quality was all over the place and one needed to be diligent about who built that AR and with what. Even back then I don't think you could say "better than 90%," but it's certainly not true today.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
On topic: I think whoever was trying to boost their numbers at RSR with that email is gnawing on a big shit-sandwich right about now.

Off topic: I can remember when you bought a Colt or a Bushmaster, or you didn't buy ARs. Today, I can think of about 20 companies doing it better than Bushmaster, and about 5 doing it better than Colt. Like Arc and others have said, Colt is still a very solid choice, but the days of pretending it was the only choice are long gone.

From an investment perspective, it's probably still the best choice. Because when you go to sell it, even non-gun people or those on the peripheries will damn well know what a Colt AR is. So your possible buyer pool is huge. Only dedicated gun folks know who LMT, BCM, DD, or ADM are. If you throw that out to a novice buyer, he hasn't clue one what you're talking about. But he knows Colt. He's heard that name. And if you want to know an open secret - that's what wins buyers. Look at Honda. They haven't made the best car in America for over ten years, but people still buy the hell out of that name.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I would say a $177 million contract (split evenly with FN) would be pretty important to a company that is in bankruptcy especially when the civilian AR market is so soft.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, this is Fake News and even that cesspool called TTAG has walked back their bullshit.

The author of this email has been fired.

Colt has 4 months of inventory out in distribution. They are temporarily shifting production to fulfill foreign military sales contracts. Colt is in business to make money. Civilian AR sales are slow, FMS are cash flow for Colt.

To clarify, Colt is nkt rating to “regain” contracts, they HAVE the contracts and need to fulfill them ASAP.

As soon as I saw that email come over the wire I thought of two things.

1) That moron should be fired.

2) There are so many goddamn rifles in the distribution chain that even if it were true, we could fill orders until 2020.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
In the meantime, might I recommend CMMG for all your AR needs. Really good platform and well built.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I was in my favorite local gun store yesterday. He sells lots of COLT AR rifles. He told me about this rumor going around. Then he called his national distributor while I was standing there.

The rep told him that the story is not accurate, that COLT is trying to catch up with production of contract rifles and only suspending production of the civilian platform. Whether the 'suspension' is temporary remains to be seen.

So maybe, maybe not? fwiw, the distributor said he had plenty in stock but sales were brisk after beto made his comments.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
I was in my favorite local gun store yesterday. He sells lots of COLT AR rifles. He told me about this rumor going around. Then he called his national distributor while I was standing there.

The rep told him that the story is not accurate, that COLT is trying to catch up with production of contract rifles and only suspending production of the civilian platform. Whether the 'suspension' is temporary remains to be seen.

So maybe, maybe not? fwiw, the distributor said he had plenty in stock but sales were brisk after beto made his comments.

The email from Mr. Veilleux artfully said exactly the same thing - maybe, maybe not.

While he confirmed they've suspended production to focus on contracts, and made a point to highlight their handgun lines, he didn't say a word about if, when, or under what conditions Colt would resume civilian rifle sales. The wording of that email, as published, does a great job of saying what a big 2A supporter Colt does, without ever actually confirming or denying future civilian rifle sales on the record.

So. Maybe. Maybe not.

Hopefully they come out with braced pistols for us fanboys when they wake up and realize there's still a buck to be made.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just weird that Colt would make a press release about it and now a week+ later it’s on drudge and the mainstream has picked it up. Just be like every other company. Make your stuff in batches. In 6 months, after your caught up and fulfilled your military contract, just quietly start making your run of ARs again. Even here in CA you can get any AR you want at a local shop pretty easily

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Depends on who's being weird - ABC has a blurb on the internutz claiming it's a reaction to recent active shooter events - even though there's absolutely nothing to that effect in any press release and all indications are that its a temporary thing. Slow week in the media, eh? Or someone trying to create a sense of momentum out of nothing at all.

No link - you're welcome to toss it in your favorite search engine if you're bored enough.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Colt Suspends Production Of Rifles For Civilians, But Says It’s Not Why You Think

https://www.dailywire.com/news...ys-its-james-barrett

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Depends on who's being weird - ABC has a blurb on the internutz claiming it's a reaction to recent active shooter events - even though there's absolutely nothing to that effect in any press release and all indications are that its a temporary thing. Slow week in the media, eh? Or someone trying to create a sense of momentum out of nothing at all.

No link - you're welcome to toss it in your favorite search engine if you're bored enough.

WaPo just ran an article implying the same thing in the headline and subtitle, but then accurately reporting what the company has said - while trying real hard to bury it under active shooter references.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post