SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR15 or AR10?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR15 or AR10? Login/Join 
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted
When the SHTF would you prefer to have an AR10 or an AR15?

If you currently have an AR15 and $ would you sell/swap the AR15 for an AR10?

Thoughts please.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
15 hands down, unless you were so flush with 7.62 ammo that you'd never run out. More commonly found parts, ammo, smaller and lighter to carry/deploy blah, blah, blah, blah the usual. Then, model depending, maybe the big brother.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Multiples of both.

Posts: 286 | Location: midwest | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An AR15 is lighter, easier to control, has less recoil, and ammo weighs less. In both competitions and training, at reasonable target distances, I've yet to see someone shoot an AR10 faster and/or more accurately than an AR15.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
I am pretty happy with my 15 setup, although I am starting to think a pencil barrel lighweight setup will be in my 2021 future.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
The old saying of the mission drives the gear is still true. You have to define your useage. Urban environment, large BLM/Antifa crowds, open country, long range use? I have both. For city/urban conflicts I will use one of my Colt AR's. Any longer ranges required and I will use my LMT MWS.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the relevant answers.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45ProCarry:
You have to define your useage.

That’s always the first follow-up question to, “What should I …?”
But unless responses to your SHTF scenarios include the need to hunt large game, I cannot imagine why an individual would need a more powerful cartridge than 223/5.56 for defensive purposes. And when we’ve realized and accepted that, the AR-15’s advantages are manifest.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
An AR10 would be nice to have available, but can you imagine not wanting an AR15 if the SHTF where you live whether you had an AR10 or not?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, I’d start with an AR-15 of some flavor, endless choices.

Once you have that, ‘if’ you want more I’d look into an M1A over the AR-10. The M1A is a beastly rifle with great firepower.

At one time I considered an AR-10, research pointed me to the M1A platform.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
AR15, hands down.

No, even with the extra money I have, I still have no real desire to get and AR10.

For SHTF, the availability of compatible ammo, mags, parts, etc, would be helpful in providing continued support for an AR15 compared to an AR10. A person may even come across a 6.5, 6.8 caliber AR and then they'll have the ability to reach out farther/hit harder than 5.56, if tasking required it, just by swapping out uppers. The AR15 gives its user this capability. The AR10 is less flexible.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
Several of each plus an AR-15 in .50 Beowulf.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an AR-10 and assorted AR-15s. I don't know what kind of SHFT scenario you have in mind and that influences the decision. Are we talking zombies, invasion, civil strife, asteroid impact? In any case, either one is better than none.

You will be able to shoot more rapidly with the AR-15 than with the AR-10. Depending on the ammunition you use, you may require several shots with the AR-15 to accomplish what is needed with a single shot from an AR-10.

You can carry a shipload more ammo for an AR-15 compared to an AR-10. .308 is very common, as is .223/5.56.

You can maintain either one with essentially the same tools and many of the same parts, but the AR-10 is definitely much more rare and its BCG is much bigger. On the other hand the big BCG is much less likely to be damaged or broken. I have spare AR-15 bolts because they are small, and on the whole, fragile.

A small AR-15 with 30round mags loaded with 77gr HPBT has a lot to say for itself.

A medium size AR-10 with 25 round mags loaded with 175gr HPBT just says a lot more.

I would not bother with an M1A, it's fragile compared to an AR-10, much more difficult to accurize and to maintain, and a pain to scope. On the other hand it looks awesome.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
SHTF

.... and or the apocalypse I would go AR15 mainly because of the ammo per mag.
Both an advantage in weight and capacity.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AR15 because the entire world now agrees that intermediate cartridges are the best solution for general purpose infantry arms. We know all the reasons and don't have to repeat them here.

But I would have some extra uppers:

First upper for 5.56 with a long enough barrel to get enough velocity to ensure terminal performance within 300 yards with 55-62 grain FMJ (fragmentation) so that's about a 16" mid-length. 77 grain OTM functions like a hollow point and is accurate but much more scarce so I wouldn't want to rely on it being available.

Second upper a .300 BLK with around 10" barrel to get the maximum performance. Supersonic rounds will get you close to 7.62x39, while subs will get you something similar to .45ACP. Ammo availability will be an issue, but the advantages of this round for short barrels and when suppressed are compelling. And it's just a barrel change using standard BCG

Third upper I am thinking 6mm ARC for long range. Looks like this round could be to the AR15 what the 6.5 Creedmoor is to the AR10. Only needs different barrel and bolt so parts compatibility is good.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
AR-15 due to ammunition availability (I have right at 2000 rounds 5.56 and .223 combined that my three AR-15s can eat). Why three ARs you ask? because the 24 inch heavy barrel is for hunting and accuracy, the 16 inch barrel is for general use, and the 10.5 inch barrel is for close quarters and general use. And all three have a quick disconnect on them so they can wear my suppressor.

Also if I need 762.51 in a spray and pray minute of barn I have an FA-91 (HK-91 clone made by federal arms... much like the Century Arms clones), and I now have an M1A "loaded" for 7.62 accuracy.

Or for long range accuracy I have a dialed in Savage 30-06.

If I were to buy an AR-10 I would also get a few uppers for it for different purposes (long range, short range, hunting) and a .243 upper as a deer cartridge.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AR15

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
AR-15, as the others have said, higher capacity and lighter to carry.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AR10, Too old and too fat to run or hide and that means YOU have to did me out! Good luck

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a thread a few months ago, the OP was concerned with recoil from various weight rounds in a 9mm pistol -- age and arthritis were mentioned.

An AR10 chambered in 308 produces recoil that is approximately approximately 4 times that of a 223, measured in foot pounds. AR10s can be chambered in 6mm or 6.5mm bores, but the recoil of the smaller bores is still 2-3 times that of a 223. Of course, the recoil from any AR type will be reduced with a brake or suppressor.

Given the OP's previous statements, an AR15 becomes the better choice. There are tons of choices for an AR15 adequate for his self defense concerns. A good place to start is a 16" barrel, mid-length gas system, 1/8 or 1/7 twist barrel. The OP lives in Texas, and thus a suppressor is a good option.

George43 -- Last month I attended a training course in Kingsville, TX. Two of us had AR15s chambered in 223. Two students had AR10s -- in 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. The AR10 guys found it much harder to maintain control of their rifles' recoil. They struggled to see where their bullets impacted on reactive targets, they had to work much harder to produce good accuracy, and they were slower on follow up shots.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post