SIGforum
Is this tacti kid doing it right ? ( chamber check)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/5900048644

September 09, 2018, 12:58 PM
bendable
Is this tacti kid doing it right ? ( chamber check)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl4i7CvUu7Q

or is there another way to do it ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
September 09, 2018, 01:07 PM
RogueJSK
Yes, but he's actually showing two different ways to do it, for two different scenarios. You typically won't need to do both together, one right after another.

Checking the positioning of the rounds in the magazine to ensure a round was fed is one way to make sure the rifle is loaded, used when you are inserting a new magazine.

The press check of actually pulling back the bolt to visually/physically check to see if there's a round in the chamber is another method, and is typically used when you're picking up a rifle that's already had the magazine inserted sometime before, and need to check to see if there's a round in the chamber.

His handling of the rifle was a bit wonky a few times during this, but I chalk that up to a combination of him being pint-sized with a full-sized rifle, as well as trying to make it more visible for the camera.

The only thing I noticed that he left out was when doing the press check (second method), it's typically advised to tap the forward assist afterwards, to ensure the bolt is fully seated forward. Since you're not pulling the bolt fully backwards and letting it go fully forward under full spring tension, there's a chance it may not fully close and therefore may not fire.
September 09, 2018, 02:21 PM
fritz
+1 to Rogue's comments

The most jams and "clicks o' death" I've seen in training are from students who use the press check method, then not hitting the forward assist afterwards. This is especially true when rifles have fired hundreds of rounds, and thus are getting dirty and dry.

The second way to screw up a chamber check is when re-inserting the mag, after checking the position of the top round in the mag. If the shooter doesn't confirm that the mag is truly seated, round 1 is "bang", round 2 is "click".

When you've loaded an AR enough times, you can feel and hear the difference between a round going into the chamber properly, and one that doesn't load. Or loads improperly. I know this isn't "the way they tech it on the webz", but shooters with tens of thousands of rounds under their belts know the difference.
September 09, 2018, 03:34 PM
Chris Anchor
I pull the charger handle back just enough to see brass not as much as in video..I don't think I have ever done the magazine check method. Chris
September 09, 2018, 03:52 PM
RHINOWSO
The standard brass check makes sense, with the FA used to ensure it's in battery (on an AR).

For loading, I observe the round entering the chamber and don't drop the magazine.
September 09, 2018, 04:11 PM
DMF
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The only thing I noticed that he left out was when doing the press check (second method), it's typically advised to tap the forward assist afterwards, to ensure the bolt is fully seated forward.
+1

The forward assist is for preventing problems (failure to fire, due to being out of battery), not for fixing problems after they occur.

After a "press check" I give three hard taps to the forward assist.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman
September 16, 2018, 10:53 AM
pointman73
Tactimidget did a decent job in showing this. My input would be to keep your weapon hand on fire control and manipulate the carbine with your support hand. Not only does this make more sense, it is smoother.

As a LE/Military instructor, I teach both methods. As previously written, if you pull the charging handle back to visually check, tap the forward assist or thumb the BCG cutout to ensure the BCG is in battery.

This kid learned early, which is great. More kids should learn how to handle firearms.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
September 16, 2018, 11:41 AM
Rustpot
My only input is that it sounds like he's regurgitating something that was taught to him, rather than internalizing the lesson and speaking from the knowledge gained. Harder to do with younger people, may have just been a script for the video, etc. But if you have to sit and think about it you don't really know it, and it's something that can be forgotten, overlooked, or otherwise lead to a lapse in procedure/protocol/safety/etc.

Oh, and it looks like his gloves are 2 sizes too big. In my opinion no gloves is better than loose gloves when handling firearms.
September 16, 2018, 07:19 PM
cslinger
.....and this is why it would suck to invade the United States. Between the gangs and the fact we have 11 year olds giving training on the operation of semi automatic rifles. Brings a tear to my eye.

He did a great job especially for his size and gloves and showing to the camera.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."