SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    A new milestone in my rifle building experience: My first rear-lugged M14 build/bedding job
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new milestone in my rifle building experience: My first rear-lugged M14 build/bedding job Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
Quite a job, and I learned a lot. It's hard doing this with no mentor or instructor over your shoulder telling you that you're doing it wrong. I've got just a few cosmetic touch-ups to do, but for now, it's shooting right at 1.2 MOA. I'm going to do a trigger job and switch up the ammo and see if I can bring it down to 1 MOA.

For now, the rifle is mechanically capable of cleaning the 10-ring with a high X-count on any service rifle target.

This is built on a Bula Defense rear-lugged M14 receiver and has a nitrided 3/4-heavy Criterion 5R barrel, a unitized gas cylinder and NM 1/2 MOA rear sights. The receiver has 1/2 MOA windage detents which means it actually has 1/4 MOA windage adjustments since the windage threads are finer than standard sights.

The McMillan stock was uneven around the heel, so the epoxy filled in the voids and looks sloppy around the heel, even though its not. I got a McMillan touch up kit to color-match the exposed areas.

Thanks for looking.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Benny, is the rear lugged receiver the same lug that was cut off of military receivers to render them semi only?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Benny, is the rear lugged receiver the same lug that was cut off of military receivers to render them semi only?

No. It is a recoil lug that was welded on after the receiver was made. Springfield Armory rear-lugged receivers don't have a threaded hole for a screw. This one does as many others have in the past from other manufacturers an from the old military teams who welded them on to real M14's.

Here's a no-lug Springfield Armory receiver.

I had to make a custom length steel pillar that I bedded into the McMillan stock after the action was bedded. Once the action is bedded, you have to drill out the hole for the screw and the pillar, then bed the pillar and cut the screw to length so that it is not too long and doesn't interfere with the bolt.

It's a lot more work than it sounds.

Tony.

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice! I bedded a Mauser action once. Dropping that action into the epoxy was an exercise in faith. But, it came out great. I could use off the shelf bits, too, no custom pillar, so that was an extra exercise for you, but it came out great!

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, I get it now....I had a real M14 NM rifle when I was on active duty. The guy who made it at Crane either forgot to use release agent or was told to glue the parts together, cause I couldn’t get it apart...shot great though.

I had anther after that rifle and it was bedded and had the lug for the full auto parts but they had beenremoved at Crane. It also shot very good, 1moa....sadly had to turn it in when I got out.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nicely done!

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Ahhh, I get it now....I had a real M14 NM rifle when I was on active duty. The guy who made it at Crane either forgot to use release agent or was told to glue the parts together, cause I couldn’t get it apart...shot great though.

I had anther after that rifle and it was bedded and had the lug for the full auto parts but they had beenremoved at Crane. It also shot very good, 1moa....sadly had to turn it in when I got out.

I used to shoot with a handful of guys that had the real deal AMU M14's (selector lock was welded) that were handed out by the State Team

all were good shooters, and I don't recall anyone removing them from the stock, ever,

those guys had moved on to AR's when they M14's were recalled, but they were still bummed out when they turned them in

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Well if they welded rear lugs on the receivers and used a screw to hold them in, yeah, I could see how impossible it is to remove it from the stock.

That being said, this was also the tightest bedding job I've ever done. I have to whack the buttstock with a large rubber mallet to break the action loose from the bedding. I cannot remove it with my bare hands.

Tony.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I took it out again today to see if I could get it to shoot any better. I lowered the cheek riser, as it was a little high. I also had no guests and fewer rifles and wasn't in as much of a rush as last time. I pulled off two consecutive sub-MOA groups...

Man, it's a lot of work shaving off .3 MOA off my last trip. I was mentally beat after those two groups.

Tony.

posted Hide Post
I know nothing about bedding a rifle, other than why people do it.

BUT that is a GOOD LOOKING rifle. I love the camo pattern on it. Glad that your first attempt that the rifle is very accurate. I think playing with ammo will get you sub 1 MOA. I'd try some different ammo types/loads before fooling with the rifle itself further aside from trigger work.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Looks like it works!

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post