SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    PSA Ar9, Any owners out there?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA Ar9, Any owners out there? Login/Join 
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted
I’m in the market for an 9mm AR pistol and I’ve always had good luck with PSA in the past but would like some feedback from members that have hands on experience.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I have a PSA carbine Glock model and love it. I was having some feed issues last time out but I can’t rule out old Blazer ammo as the cause. Newer federal and low recoil hydrashok were flawless. I had baseball size groups with a Vortex SPARC at 25 yards free standing. Better shooters could easily get smaller groups I’d bet.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
I have a 4” upper and the psa lower. Runs great. It didn’t like ETS magazines. However I did use a .308 buffer and spring. A friend suggested it and I just went with it.

Shawn

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a 16" PSA AR9 with a dedicated Glock lower. I have under $500 in it (not counting the StrikeFire II), and it runs, so I can't really complain. The only malfunctions I've had have been ammo related, or one other thing that I'll detail below. It makes a decent range toy, an a cheap practice platform for my "real" ARs, but I'm not in love with it.

1. The Upper is kinda cheap...no dustcover, no forward assist (the bolt isn't scallop cut for one, so this isn't really an issue), and for some reason they went with a mid-length forend, which does nothing but add weight, since there's no gas system to cover with it anyway.

2. The lower isn't bad. The mag release is proprietary, and the button/lever sticks a bit as it's not machined very precisely, but it does work.

3. I really don't like the blowback action. The heavy bolt slamming back and forth makes for more recoil than one would expect out of a rifle this heavy firing a 9mm bullet. It's not BAD recoil...it's just not as soft or smooth as one would expect from a PCC. It's also dirty as heck...the trigger group area of the lower gets fouled with all kinds of crap that you never see in a DI or a piston gun.

I installed a JP Enterprises flat-ground AR10 buffer spring in an attempt to smooth out the action, and it made a huge difference. Like night and day. Unfortunately, this spring was a bit heavier than the stock one, and I started to have occasional doubling issues with the gun. I initially thought the trigger group was suspect, but I ruled that out.

I believe what is happening is the bolt is short stroking...not going back far enough to reset the trigger, but far enough to eject the fired case and chamber another round. Then the hammer follows the bolt home, and bang bang. This is an inherent hazard with a blowback action in a platform designed for a longer cartridge than what is being fired. I believe the heavier spring landed right in the sweet spot where a slightly light charge or sticky case was enough to cause this condition.

I put the original spring back into the gun, and the klunky recoil is back, but at least now the gun only goes bang when I want it to.

I'm not sure where I want to go with this thing. I've thought about SBR-ing it, but I'm not sure I want to pay the $200 and go through all that hastle for a platform that I don't really love. I'd sell it and get an MPX...that gun seems to be the clear answer to every problem that I have with this one....but for the price Sig is asking for those, I just can't justify it.

ETA - It also has no last-round bolt hold-open, which I knew going in and decided I could live without.

Also, one positive thing, it does work great with the cheap Magpul Glock mags, as well as every factory Glock Mag I've put in it.

Posts: 8531 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. You've given me some things to ponder.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I bought the PSA AR9 rifle kit with magblock to use in a regular AR lower. I used their bolt carrier group but I bought a YHM 9mm buffer.
I was going to cut down the barrel from 16" to 6" but ended up just buying a 4.5" barrel from ADCO. I've never shot mine unsupressed since I have dedicated 9mm suppressors. It's shot everything I've fed it just fine.

It is really really dirty.

I bought a bunch of the PSA 32 round mags when they went on sale.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I have one in 16". I pulled the midlength setup for a free float rail I picked up cheap as a blem.

The first time I had it out it had a lot of trouble cycling properly. It was winter outdoor, and maybe it was under-lubed? Who knows. I shelved it for a couple of years.

Joined a club for 3-gun and this winter season was PCC instead of rifle for short distance steel. The PSA AR9 ran without a hiccup as the rifle for both myself and my friend (he doesn't have a PCC).

My only complaint are the colt-pattern mags. Heavy and expensive. Of course PSA debuted their Glock compatible lowers not too long after I bought my kit with the colt mag block.

Everything else works great. Standard trigger group, PSA's 9mm buffer and whatever spring came in the kit. The magwell block is a top loader and I have no complaints of fit or quality.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Looking back over what I typed above, I may have come off a bit harsh on the PSA AR9. Really, all of my gripes are due to my unrealistic expectations about what an AR9 should be. I actually had mine out today and put over 100 rounds (very dirty cast handloads) through it and it ate them all without complaint.

Sure, it's not the most refined thing ever, but it works, and it is a fun plinker. It just depends what you're looking for I guess.

Posts: 8531 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
1. The Upper is kinda cheap...no dustcover, no forward assist . . .
I'm hoping the one I recently ordered (and am waiting somewhat patiently on) comes with a dust cover and brass deflector. I'm a lefty, so I need the brass deflector, and I'm mildly OCD about closing the dust cover whenever there is a "lull in the action."

The pics show it has a FA, brass deflector, and dust cover, but the "description" says "slick side." I sent a message asking for clarification before ordering, but no one ever responded.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
1. The Upper is kinda cheap...no dustcover, no forward assist . . .
I'm hoping the one I recently ordered (and am waiting somewhat patiently on) comes with a dust cover and brass deflector. I'm a lefty, so I need the brass deflector, and I'm mildly OCD about closing the dust cover whenever there is a "lull in the action."

The pics show it has a FA, brass deflector, and dust cover, but the "description" says "slick side." I sent a message asking for clarification before ordering, but no one ever responded.

Worst case, you could probably just replace the upper. I've thought about doing that, even though it seems kind of silly to spend $80-$100 for something that doesn't make a bit of difference to the function of the rifle. I could see how that would be a big deal as a lefty, though.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
the "description" says "slick side." I sent a message asking for clarification before ordering, but no one ever responded.

This means no forward assist. Not sure why the pic would show one, other than an error at PSA.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15550 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of PSA's 9mm carbines; they offer lowers that take the Colt SMG magazine or can take Glock magazines. I went with Glock as it's more practical. Like other pistol-caliber lowers these days, the mag well isn't simply a standard AR lower blocked to take a smaller mag; the mag well only fits the particular magazine. In my case, it takes any Glock 9mm magazine, which enables it to take the higher capacity glock magazines, if desired.

PSA offers several uppers and components to build uppers. They have "slick side" and uppers that feature a brass deflector and forward assist. Barrel lengths are offered up to 16." Pistol lowers as complete units, or buildable units are offered. I have them as a straight-pistol, and one with an extendable stock that will eventually be SBR'd.

I can't see a lot of use for a 4" barrel on a rifle size firearm that's chambered for a pistol cartridge. It's really nothing more than putting a shoulder stock on a pistol, or making a ridiculously heavy pistol. It's not going to make the cartridge more accurate. Except for a hobby firearm for fun, it's not really gaining anything.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't see a lot of use for a 4" barrel on a rifle size firearm that's chambered for a pistol cartridge. It's really nothing more than putting a shoulder stock on a pistol, or making a ridiculously heavy pistol. It's not going to make the cartridge more accurate. Except for a hobby firearm for fun, it's not really gaining anything.

Unless you are going to add a suppressor, which will vastly decrease the OAL; half of it (or more) would be contained within the handguard.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15550 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
the "description" says "slick side." I sent a message asking for clarification before ordering, but no one ever responded.

This means no forward assist.
Well, I've always know it to mean no FA, and possibly no dust cover and brass deflector. However, as I said the pic showed a FA, brass deflector, and dust cover, but the text said "slick side.". That makes no sense, and CS didn't reply to my query.

I have noticed the pics all used to have the FA, DC, and BD, and the text would say "M4" upper. Lately they have slowly been changing the text, an later the pics, to show no FA, DC, or BD, and to say "slick side." When CS didn't respond, I ordered, in hopes it will match the pic, as I would expect pics to be accurate, since the text offers no detail as to what "slick side" means to them.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, I've always know it to mean no FA, and possibly no dust cover and brass deflector. However, as I said the pic showed a FA, brass deflector, and dust cover, but the text said "slick side.". That makes no sense, and CS didn't reply to my query.

I have noticed the pics all used to have the FA, DC, and BD, and the text would say "M4" upper. Lately they have slowly been changing the text, an later the pics, to show no FA, DC, or BD, and to say "slick side." When CS didn't respond, I ordered, in hopes it will match the pic, as I would expect pics to be accurate, since the text offers no detail as to what "slick side" means to them.

This is what I got when I googled PSA slick side; hopefully you get what you want in regards to the pic representation.
http://palmettostatearmory.com...-upper-receiver.html

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Depends on your use. I built mine as a fun gun for the kids because it was cheaper than shooting .223. Suppressor is mostly under handguard. I bought an MPX and did the same, cut the barrel down so I can have the suppressor mostly under the handguard. Then I broke down and built them a 22 AR for even more fun. (I had a bunch of stripped lowers so I SBR’d a bunch of them)

Eagerly awaiting PSA’s MP5 clone.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

This is what I got when I googled PSA slick side; hopefully you get what you want in regards to the pic representation.
http://palmettostatearmory.com...-upper-receiver.html
Yes, but look at this one: http://palmettostatearmory.com...g-ch-5165447846.html

That's what has been going on, uppers would say "slick side," but show the FA, BD, and DC, and then days or weeks later, usually after going "temporarily out of stock," the pics change.

I saved the webpage, with the pics, so if I get it without the pictured FA, DC, and BD, and decide I don't want it, I can return it.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I realized I never answered the OP's question, and only showed my "hand wringing" about the details of what I ordered.

So to address the real point of this thread:

I have been wanting a 9mm carbine for a VERY LONG time, and it was after shooting a PSA AR9, that belongs to a good friend, I finally decided to go with the PSA set up. It ran great, while a bunch of us ran through a grab bag of 9mm ammo we had lying around. At 10 yards, having only pulled the trigger on the thing for two rounds prior, I fired a very quick three round burst, standing, that you could cover with a quarter. I would have loved to see what kind of groups I could have gotten at 50 yards, with just a little bit of practice.

Many people report recoil being similar to an AR-15, but that was not my experience. It was a bit more than I expected from a 9mm, but noticeably less than my AR-15 and M4.

Prior to that experience, I considered every decent option out there, and was seriously ready to buy a SIG-Sauer MPX, and then decided I couldn't justify the cost.

Other items I've considered:
- Kel-Tec Sub 2000 Gen 1 and 2: However, they were never available when I was ready to actually drop cash, and was hoping for a LRBHO, but I did like the idea of using Glock mags.
- A semi-auto MP5 or clone: again I couldn't justify that much money, especially when you consider getting mags, and no LRBHO.
- JR Carbine: I never really got to handle one, and wasn't sure of the quality.
- Beretta Storm, seemed like a good idea, but I don't currently have a Beretta 92, and didn't want to buy a bunch of 92 mags.
- CZ EVO, again I haven't had a chance to actually handle/fire one, and really wanted to use Glock mags, instead of buying more new mags.
- A variety of other 9mm ARs, which either were super expensive (ie Wilson Combat), had sketchy reliability with the LRBHO, or both.
- The new Ruger PCC, which I was all set to buy until I found out you can't switch the safety for a lefty. The price was right, used Glock mags, which I have a ton of, has a LRBHO, and initial reports are they are accurate and reliable. However, a push button safety that is only set up a for a righty is a no-go for me.

My friends, and I, have had good experiences with PSA products in the past, and the prices for the AR9 uppers and lowers have been ridiculously low for the past year. However, I noticed they are creeping up again, and I wanted to buy before they went through the roof again. Hopefully I can get a lower soon. The big sacrifice I will be making is I won't get the LRBHO, but decided I can live with that.

Mine will be a pistol, but I may SBR it in the future, as I'd love to put a Magpul CTR on it at some point, to have a true carbine, and occasionally shoot PCC matches. I'm just not ready to go through that extra expense right now.

posted Hide Post
I have built two now with PSA and both are colt smg magazine fed. The Glock style should feed beter as they are stripped from a single point, but after investigation and many horror stories I run with the SMG style. The first problem i encountered was over travel by the bold which after only a few rounds sheared of the magazine catch and that was a pain to replace and the replacement had to long of a tang that stuck out so that it force a bullet out the magazine and caused the bullet to jam while going into battery. After I shortened the tang on the catch some problem solved and installed a Frontier recoil bumper to keep the bolt assembly from over traveling the gun runs like a swiss watch. That stacking quarters down the buffer tub crap is for the amateurs. Big

Posts: 254 | Registered: October 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post