SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Brownell’s retro XM16A1s
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brownell’s retro XM16A1s Login/Join 
posted
Hello to all.

I have just literally left the Brownell’s showroom/retail store/warehouse. Anyway, they had 26 of their Retro XM16 series rifles in the racks marked “blemished” I picked up two or three of them and did not notice anything glaring. They are marked $999. These usually go for $1299. I know these are not “exact” repro rifles but, Brownell’s does a pretty good job.

Nine of them had the A1 flash hiders. The rest were 3-prong flash hiders.

Just a heads up for those that are interested.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Any chance for a pic?

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. Sorry I didn’t take any pics. Just picked up a random couple and just looked over quick while my order was being filled.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that they're still about $300-400 over what the market will bear, given the current AR glut. It's not like they're collectible Colts.

Posts: 26891 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Seems to me that they're still about $300-400 over what the market will bear, given the current AR glut. It's not like they're collectible Colts.

But 'retro' stuff is getting hard to find.

Handguards and stocks are creeping up in price. A1 upper receivers are hard to find. NoDak lowers have a pretty significant wait time.

Pencil barrels are a little more common, but they come and go as far as availability.

I built my A1 on a Colt parts kit when they were still available and it was close to $750 when it was all said and done.

So while the Brownell's rifles aren't Colts, if you want an A1 clone it is going to cost significantly more if you are going to try to piece together a Colt. The parts kit that I used have been sold out for more than a year now. They all got snapped up until another SE Asian country demils some more old rifles.

Original Colt barrels with the FSB are going for more than $350 if I recall correctly. (The barrels are in short supply because they were destroyed or separated from the parts kits that were brought in.)

A1 receivers are bringing ~$165 or so when you can find stripped flat top receivers for $45 if you shop around.

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
An SP1 would be a better choice for retro.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34104 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah. These aren’t real but, if a guy doesn’t want to shop around wheeling and dealing on parts these are an easy way to go.

posted Hide Post
It's getting very expensive to build retro clones using original parts. If you are just looking for the simplicity of an A1 type upper with field sights, a pencil barrel and A1 type furniture, the Brownell's rifles are a pretty good deal @ $1000. I built my clone for a bit less, using a Brownell's barrel and A1 lower and some original parts, but it look a lot of hunting online and at gun shows and I still have at least $700 into it.

Posts: 2475 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've had a few SP1's and while they have a cool factor, I'd rather have one built with current technology ... Maybe it's just because I've BTDT, however I was interested in one of their 308 brown with the early design charge handle inside the carry handle (I don't remember their designation). Then started hearing things like loose fitting handguards and decided to wait ... And ultimately decided I didn't want a 308 AR with a 7 pound trigger, just to be cool Smile besides, due to health reasons I wouldn't be able to shoot it unless I suppressed to reduce the recoil, that kinda defeats the reason for getting it.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post