SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Springfield M1A SOCOM16 CQB 16” ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield M1A SOCOM16 CQB 16” ? Login/Join 
Picture of indigoss
posted
I’m considering this gun or picking up the Tavor in 308 which is expected soon. Anyone have the Springfield, if so , what are the pros and cons?

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have a Socom 16 I traded into a few months back.

Pros (compared to a standard configuration M1A):
Handy length. Slightly lighter weight. Muzzle brake does a nice job of taming recoil/muzzle rise. Iron sights are quickly acquired for closer range shooting, due to larger aperture and wider front sight

Cons (compared to a standard configuration M1A):
Shorter range due to lower muzzle velocity. Iron sights are less precise at longer ranges, due to shorter sight radius, larger aperture, and wider front sight. Greater muzzle blast/flash. Some proprietary gas system parts.

The factory plastic stock and handguard are junk. So is the factory scout optic mount. I immediately swapped my stock for a walnut stock and handguard from Boyds, but there are other good options for better quality stocks. And if you want a scout optic mount, get an Ultimak rail instead.

Don't bother with the Socom II with the ginormous quad rail. It's huge, bulky, heavy, and it ruins the rifle's balance.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post

I have the next size up; the Scout Squad. 18" barrel so you recover some velocity; front rail which is removable with allen screws if you don't want it, and can be adapted to either the standard GI iron sights, or the larger shorter range Socom 16 sights. The brake is very effective, and the stock seems well made and solid.

I'm very happy with this rifle. Recoil is straight back and very mild. I will likely replace the trigger, either with a Bruce Dow trigger job (he is local to me) or a drop in from shootingsight.com, as the stock trigger, while fine for CQB style drills, is a heavy for more precision shooting, and I am more interested in making this rifle perform in the 100-300 yard range.

Overall, I'm thrilled with it. I have shot the Socom 16, and don't regret my choice to go with the slightly longer Scout at all.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I had both and kept the Scout. With a few parts swapeed, you can get the Scout down to almost SOCOM 16 OAL. Not a fasn of the SOCOM II or CQB, tkaes away from the handiness.

Comparing to the Tavor is probably apples and oranges. The M1 is proven and parts will be around for a long time and easily accessible. The Tavor has neither going for it.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The one thing that stood out about the SOCOM I had was it was LOUD!

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I love mine:

I've always found it curious how some will complain about the SOCOM 16's muzzle blast/short barrel/etc/etc, yet.. when the SCAR 17 is mentioned for example, many of these same folks will cream their jeans. Odd... since both of these rifles have the exact same length barrel.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
Sorry to drift the thread, but what's the consensus of James River Armory products -- they have a 19" barreled "Paratrooper" built on a Bula receiver sold through Classic Firearms (which is one of the two Bula distributors, if I read the Bula site correctly). I'm seeing iffy reviews of both JRA and Classic Firearms, but figured ya'll would know the scoop.

https://www.classicfirearms.co...ut-stock-jra-carbine

Thanks.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the responses. Looks like I will be picking one up. Thank you all!

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holger Danske:
Sorry to drift the thread, but what's the consensus of James River Armory products -- they have a 19" barreled "Paratrooper" built on a Bula receiver sold through Classic Firearms (which is one of the two Bula distributors, if I read the Bula site correctly). I'm seeing iffy reviews of both JRA and Classic Firearms, but figured ya'll would know the scoop.

https://www.classicfirearms.co...ut-stock-jra-carbine

Thanks.

I met both Bula and JRA at SHOT this year. As with any product and company that gets started, their products have gotten better as time goes by. Their build and QC process continues to improve. I am pleased to see the direction they are going.

Although there is some teething, you are really getting a lot for your money considering the amount of forged parts you get (Receiver, operating rod, gas cylinder, hammer etc...).

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bought a lot of rifles. I have sold exactly two of them in nearly 50 years. One was a SOCOM16.
Good luck.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I have bought a lot of rifles. I have sold exactly two of them in nearly 50 years. One was a SOCOM16.
Good luck.

What was the reason for selling?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Springfield M1A SOCOM16 CQB 16”

There is no upside to counter its negatives. Inaccurate, muzzle blast, crappy stock parts and some unique ones, sight issues, etc.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
crappy stock parts and some unique ones

SOCOMs requires no unique stock parts. Any standard M14/M1A stock and handguard will drop right in.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I had one. I don't miss it. I might pick up a Scout one day though.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:

Scope details?

Posts: 286 | Location: midwest | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Burris 2.75X scout scope.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one, mostly stock, purchased not long after they came out. It uses the original factory scout mount with an aimpoint on top.

I don't notice it as loud, but others nearby say so. I don't know that its a tack driver, but it doesn't need to be; it's more than accurate enough.

I think practically speaking, a 18" barrel is the shortest one ought to go with a rifle of this type, and the name "socom" is a bit hinky. However, as a rifle goes, though it's a bit heavy for what it is, I like it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post