SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    French or EU Sigforum Members - Famas ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

French or EU Sigforum Members - Famas ? Login/Join 
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted
A question I have been meaning to ask, with the word that the French Military is moving away from the FAMAS to the HK 416. Does anyone have any insight to what could happen to the FAMAS in terms of surplus market?

I would love to see a FAMAS in my collection in the future!
I get that it will have to be parted together with our stupid US import regs but if there aren't too many tradeoffs from the real deal that would be a nice addition.

From what I can tell the SN is located by the magwell in what I guess is a lower receiver. Is this serialized component part of the outer shell of the FAMAS or is it an inside component?

Wondering what needs to be cut up and what can be salvaged?

Thanks for anyone who has this insight.

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
http://www.forgottenweapons.com/rifles/famas-f1/

Plastic shouldn't be touched. However I bet they will be given as military aid to former colonies.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I think it would be cool to have a FAMAS too. Unfortunately, you'll likely have to settle for an AUG.

I think we'd need someone in the US making enough parts to be able to build one with whatever is leftover, if indeed the leftovers enter the marketplace, which kinda seems unlikely.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Any importer would have to make receivers and barrels or have them made anyway. How many more parts would have to be manufactured in the U.S.? Four? Maybe eight, depending on ATF's magical 922(r) list?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You’ll never see them imported to the US. The French are big fans of the UN and will destroy them. Plus, they are select fire/fully automatic, ATF isn’t going to allow them in even if the French didn’t destroy them. I passed on a semi-auto one in the 80’s... ugh.

Posts: 266 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Hey, they've gotta have new US-made receivers (and barrels) if they're imported as parts kits anyway. Not that I know anything about the FAMAS (which is why I'd like one), but if you passed on a semi-auto version in the 80's, then it can't be impossible to expect that someone in the US might design and make a semi-auto receiver if enough kits came in.

I mean, heck, you can get receiver flats and jigs for CETME Ls, you know?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
If I bought a surplus one I'd have to change my phone ringtone back to the Codec chime.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Ian at Forgotten Weapons and his recent Desert Brutality videos on InRange the rifle has grown on me and I would like to see a semi-auto FAMAs F1 or G2.

Whether surplus F1'# or new manufacture would be fine with me. The G2 has a few benefits that mike make it the better choice, though.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pipe dream. Not a chance and I'll even put money on it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post