SIGforum
Picked up a M1 super 90

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/5810061874

December 31, 2020, 03:23 PM
shkuhn
Picked up a M1 super 90
After having sellers remorse for selling my M4 this spring I have been slowly looking for a replacement.

Last evening I stumbled upon an HK imported M1 with a date code of BD which with my limited google-fu puts it at a 1994 production. The best part is the original owner never fired it and I believe it from the condition. This one came with the pistol grip stock, barrel mounted rifle sights, and a 7+1+1 capacity. The outside of the box is a little beat up, but everything is where it should be inside. Now the real question is to shoot it or keep it unfired since it made it this long.

Hopefully I can get the image to come through.

https://flic.kr/p/2knF8Xf
December 31, 2020, 04:52 PM
cas
quote:
Originally posted by shkuhn:
Now the real question is to shoot it or keep it unfired since it made it this long.

That's not a real question.

Save it for? To sell it for $200 more ten years from now?
How much would you charge me to store a gun at your house for ten years? More than $20 a year? Wink
January 02, 2021, 12:25 PM
WRAM1
Shoot it. Shoot it again and keep doing so. The M1 Super 90 is an amazing shotgun that needs to be used.
January 02, 2021, 12:59 PM
ARMT Guy
An excellent shotgun. I'd simply use it. Get to know your new acquisition.

I sold my M1 off several years back and picked up an M4 - primarily due to the wider array of accessories I was looking for at the time.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

January 02, 2021, 01:13 PM
92fstech
Nice score! Shoot it! I can't even fathom why someone would buy a gun like that and not shoot it for 26 years...
January 02, 2021, 09:53 PM
FN in MT
VERY nice score. Enjoy.
January 03, 2021, 05:46 AM
remsig
A very nice M1. I would shoot the hell out of if. I sold mine 2 years ago and kind of regret it to this day.
January 03, 2021, 06:45 PM
94hokie
Love my camo M1 super 90, that thing is about as bomb proof as you can get for a semi auto 12.
January 03, 2021, 09:00 PM
shkuhn
Looks like I’ll have to take this thing out and put some rounds through it. I have a vepr 12-80 that still needs shot as well.

Most of my shotgun shooting involves doves or ducks so the defense shotguns rarely see use.
January 04, 2021, 01:29 AM
45ProCarry
Shoot it. Wink
January 04, 2021, 06:02 AM
sourdough44
I have an M2, which as I understand is a follow on to the M1. Mine came with the ‘steady-grip’ stock. I later bought a regular stock for versatility.
January 05, 2021, 10:37 AM
darkest2000
I don't know if HK marked M1s are exactly collector grade items or if keeping it unfired would pay off in a few years time.

I do know that these older guns with the early style receivers are getting very hard to find especially in unfired condition. I know because it was quite challenging when I was searching for it and that was a few years back.

If you want to keep it as a safe queen, there's no shame in that, there's plenty of legitimate ways to appreciate a gun without necessarily having to "shoot the heck out of it".

Best of all, you can always change your mind later.
January 07, 2021, 11:00 AM
samnev
quote:
Originally posted by WRAM1:
Shoot it. Shoot it again and keep doing so. The M1 Super 90 is an amazing shotgun that needs to be used.

Ditto, I sold my M4 and am not sorry I did so since I already had M1Super 90. To this day I don't know why I ever bought the M4.
January 07, 2021, 02:12 PM
shkuhn
I’m still not sure if I will shoot this one or not. I will say going from shooting slugs out of a pump shotgun to the M4 was night and day.

The good news is the profit from the M4 was almost enough to pay for the M1.
January 09, 2021, 07:11 AM
tschiemer
A Benelli has always been a classic for hunting or home. Here is mine to which I added a new Surefire LED light which was discontinued about a decade ago, I believe. I obtained this nib Surefire from an owner who had it in a safe unopened. SF makes lights for 870s and Mossbergs but no longer available for a Benelli.

The shotgun is an “Entry” model, factory SBS transferred to me on Form 4 that was from a SWAT team w 14” open cylinder bore and rifle sights. All speaks of a well-thought-out design. It shoots all from light loads. If you get a new Benelli, always initially shoot several boxes of full power loads to help break it in and it will cycle the light ones once broken in.

Anyway, I like this shotgun.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wdAx6seF4B7jpFg78
January 09, 2021, 09:03 AM
patw
I understand about wanting to keep something new and pristine but at this stage of my life, I want to be able to enjoy shooting what I own.
January 09, 2021, 11:28 AM
kidcop
I have a early 90's vintage M1S90 that is definitely a shooter - it bears all the scuffs and scratches of a head-on cruiser crash that totaled the car, but not the shotgun.
January 12, 2021, 11:38 AM
bubbatime
I think the right collector would pay a premium for a new in box, HK, affiliated M1 shotgun.

As good as it is, I would probably find a shooter, like a Benelli M2 or Beretta 1301 gen 2.

January 12, 2021, 04:17 PM
Sig209
an M1 is my go-to HD gun.

love it.

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
January 14, 2021, 01:14 PM
Challer
IO had two M1s, sold one which I sort of regret. However, I now also own two M4s which are just much softer shooters with big slug loads. I really like the M1 but am wondering what to do with it.