SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Seeking thin elbow pads
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking thin elbow pads Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
I’m looking for elbow pads that will provide a little protection from rough, hard surfaces, but are not too thick. I don’t want hard pads or pads that are so thick that my elbows are so high that my elbows roll around and compromise a steady rifle prone shooting position.

I also don’t want pads that must be fitted into the pockets of specialized jackets/shirts or provide a high degree of compression, like some therapeutic products. I’m not trying to cure tendonitis.

Any suggestions?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have recommended Crye Precision until I saw you don’t want to have to use a special shirt for the pad.

Posts: 425 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xmod:
I would have recommended Crye Precision until I saw you don’t want to have to use a special shirt for the pad.

It may come to that, so thanks for the mention.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Do you want then to go over or under clothing?

These are made for mountain biking. There are a bunch of different ones.

https://www.backcountry.com/al...e4IU60hoC994QAvD_BwE

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Get an old sweatshirt maybe one that’s a bit small and tighter on your arms, and cut the elbows out. Use the cut outs

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Volleyball elbow pads

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I am willing to consider over/under clothing, and over a shirt but under a coat would probably be best in some ways. That, however, would require some sort of adjustable strap system, and I’ve found that that often requires a lot of fiddling. The pads I’ve found with adjustable straps are usually thick and hard. I have pads like that and they’re not what I’m looking for.

Just a layer of sweatshirt would probably not be enough padding for my purposes. I checked volleyball pads and will probably order a pair I found that may work.

Thanks for the suggestions.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
I use Nike elbow pads.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I use a giant beach towel across my elbow area.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Due to nerve damage I use elbow pads when shooting prone. Nothing fancy, something like this.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ACE...e-Fits-Most/22150842

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Troy Lee Speed Elbow mountain bike pads. They run about $50.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:

Those look great.

Posts: 2459 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Troy Lee Speed Elbow mountain bike pads.

The description includes this:
“4mm D3O padding insert
“Increased performance advantage over 10mm HDPE foam”

Can you explain what D3O is?
I assume the 4mm is the thickness—?

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Sure, D3O is a non-Neutonian gel that is flexible when you move your joint but hardens on impact. Think corn starch and water but firmer and more resilient. It's good stuff, most modern bike armor uses it.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
What about those neoprene elbow thingys you see at the pharmacy?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
What about those neoprene elbow thingys you see at the pharmacy?

It seems that most such things sold in drugstores are designed to provide compression for therapeutic purposes, and that’s not something I want on my elbows. But I might look at them anyway.

Thanks, caneau, for that explanation. I had read about such substances, but was not aware they had made it to consumer goods. I’ll probably try the ones you pointed out.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
D30 is good armor and used in premium motorcycle protective gear. It's also used in 5-11 knee pad inserts. Nice and flexible/comfortable, but provides excellent protection on impact.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was younger I used to laugh at the Mountain bike riders with knee and elbow pads but now 62 I wear em on every Mountain bike ride .
Alpine Stars.com has a wide assortment of pads very easy on and comfy to use various thicknesses no hard straps like on my Hockey gear!

Posts: 187 | Location: Rocky Mountains | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

I decided to take a chance at an expensive $50 and they arrived yesterday. I believe they’re going to work out very well. I especially like the fact that the padding extends down my forearm rather than just covering the elbow. The material covering doesn’t seem like it will take much abrasive abuse, so I’ll wear them under a shirt, but because of the way they fit that will be okay.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

6.4/93.6

— Plato