SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    If you were going to ever own just one Ruger 10/22, what would you buy?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you were going to ever own just one Ruger 10/22, what would you buy? Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
Asking because that's kinda where I'm at. I don't want to spent a ton, and I know that even a base model gets you into an aftermarket that gets you from here to the moon and back with choices of parts. But if you were buying now and didn't have your custom tack-driver you built twenty years ago, what would you buy?

Posts: 17112 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
10/22 Takedown like this. It wasn't available when I bought mine, but it pretty much looks like this with a Hogue / tacsol stock / barrel combo.

https://www.ruger.com/products...pecSheets/21133.html

And regardless of all the options, it would be a 10/22 Takedown model in some form.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
If I were to buy another factory model, I’d choose this one:

https://ruger.com/products/102...pecSheets/21182.html

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
10/22 50th Anniversary Edition

Stainless, and comes from the factory with peep sights, a rail, and a threaded muzzle.

Everything I want on a 10/22, right out of the box.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
" ," cuz I did, twenty-some years ago.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We (wife and I) both LOVE our takedown models and they are accurate.... Lots of models to choose from....We rarely shoot our standard 10/22 models anymore.....Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite 10/22 is the 16" barreled model with the short/youth stock. I'm mainly a bolt action guy, but the compact 10/22 makes a dandy rifle for small pest control around the house. It's easy to hold one handed while my other hand holds a Maglite.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I don't want to spent a ton...
But if you were buying now and didn't have your custom tack-driver you built twenty years ago, what would you buy?

A lot depends upon what you expect the 10/22 to do. Whether or not you want it to replace the custom tack-driver, or it to be something with moderate accuracy.

If accuracy really isn't the primary goal, then pick a 10/22 in a configuration that you like. Doesn't really matter. Wood stock, plastic stock. Take down or not. Iron sights or rail for optics. You'll have a semi auto that can be upgraded later, should you desire -- at a cost.

If accuracy is the primary goal, then consider purchasing it from the get go, and be done with it. Kidd or Volquartsen should be high on the list, although I believe others are nearly in their league.

It really comes down to what you want you expect the 10/22 to do, given you budget constraints.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Stainless take-down. I really like mine as a fun plinker.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
This was the first rifle I ever bought. That was back in '76. She still looks and shoots just fine. I even have the original receipts for the rifle and the scope. Who remembers when JC Penney sold rifle scopes?

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty much all my rifles, except the ARs, wear heavy target barrels & magnified optics. As such, I would probably buy the stainless target model with the black laminate stock. Hammer forged barrel for <$300.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The only one I've got is a takedown with the beech stock and brass bead front sight, but I've been digging it. If takedown isn't that big a draw for you, check out their sporters - they've got some neat options, and their model 1102 is old school in a beautiful way.

http://ruger.com/products/1022Sporter/models.html

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spiff_P239:
If I were to buy another factory model, I’d choose this one:

https://ruger.com/products/102...pecSheets/21182.html

Pretty much this, toss a scope on it if you want, some extra 30rd magazines and call it a day. About $350 out the door.

MagPul makes a great little stock for it too. Adjustable length and cheek riser, about $100 for the stock.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Asking because that's kinda where I'm at. I don't want to spent a ton, and I know that even a base model gets you into an aftermarket that gets you from here to the moon and back with choices of parts. But if you were buying now and didn't have your custom tack-driver you built twenty years ago, what would you buy?

That's not true. I bought the standard carbine 10 years ago and aside from buying 25 round mags and a 105? round drum I haven't touched it. At times I toy with buying a better trigger for it, but never have and like it just how it is.

I have always liked the S/S synthetic stock version of the 10/22 but that's simply on a looks basis.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The one I already bought, the stainless take-down, with a Leupold FX-I 4x28mm rimfire scope.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
Stainless take-down. I really like mine as a fun plinker.

This is what I have.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38642 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I would buy the standard stainless synthetic stock carbine.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Looks like either the standard or takedown synthetic version is what I am probably looking at. I really like the look of the one you posted, Rhino. I want something light enough that I can start teaching my son on it in a few years, so I’ll ptobably avoid a heavy barrel for now.

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

That's not true. I bought the standard carbine 10 years ago and aside from buying 25 round mags and a 105? round drum I haven't touched it. At times I toy with buying a better trigger for it, but never have and like it just how it is.

I have always liked the S/S synthetic stock version of the 10/22 but that's simply on a looks basis.

Wait, what isn’t true?

Posts: 17112 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
If I couldn't buy my custom Kidd Innovations 10/22, I would choose Ruger's version of a tack-driver

Their Competition model has a cold-forged 16.5" barrel, CNC machined receiver and bolt, BX trigger, adjustable cheek weld, etc. A bit pricier than their standard models ($899 retail), but less than the boutique shops.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16670 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my Itac 10-22, but if I were to buy another one probably the take-down lite would be my choice.

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post