SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Browning BPS Shotguns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BPS Shotguns Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
What is the quality of current production Browning shotguns? Specifically the BPS?

Posts: 1770 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As good as it has ever been I reckon. They have always been made by Miroku in Japan.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I hope that you get some useful answers to balance my useless answer of 'they're so handsome that I don't even want to shoot them'.

More seriously, if the responses here are few then try the Shooting Sportsman BBS or the Shotgunworld BBS.

As posted above, it seems unlikely that the factory would let quality slip.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have an older BPS and it has been rock solid. A great shotty.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My friend has a bps maybe it’s an upland special, I’m not sure it has a straight grip. Anyways it’s a very nice gun, I would t hesitate to buy one.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I learned to hunt quail with a 20ga youth model. Loved that thing.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've got an older one that I got from my uncle when he moved to CA.
BPS Invector 12ga. Great shotgun, only issue I've had is a roll pin on the sight rib that tends to walk out after a few shots.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Had one once. Liked it.

Chunk cracked off the stock, right behind the receiver.

Browning would replace the butt stock only. Total mismatch of the wood color and grain.

Sold it. Still own other Brownings, but have not bought another since.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have carried the BPS Police model for some time now. The barrel is marked 12 gauge 20" CYL BORE". It has been a reliable and shoots as good as any tactical shotgun I have ever used. I plan to use it for the rest of my life, or career, whichever comes first.

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
bought and sold a handful in the past few years,

good shotguns, better finish than any Mossberg or Remington,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Also take a look at the Ithaca model 37. The company changed hands a few times several years ago but has settled down now. The 37 is also a bottom ejecting gun if that is what you are looking for. Made in Ohio and very good quality. I have a BPS and 2 Model 37s and the Ithaca guns are my favorites.

Posts: 724 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Sorry, no picture but mine is a 20 gauge Upland Special. 22" Invector Plus barrel and beautiful non-gloss satin finish.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as I like my Brownings I gotta second the new Ithaca 37 idea. Their 28ga model looks sweet.

Posts: 180 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sauer Kraut:
Also take a look at the Ithaca model 37. The company changed hands a few times several years ago but has settled down now. The 37 is also a bottom ejecting gun if that is what you are looking for. Made in Ohio and very good quality. I have a BPS and 2 Model 37s and the Ithaca guns are my favorites.

was going to correct you and say Ithaca's were made in NY, but see that they are now a company out of Sandusky OH,

nice looking stuff on the website too

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a late 80's to early 90's 12 gage BPS Upland Field with a 30 inch barrel and it's become my goto shotgun for shooting trap. Picked it up at the local Cabela's Gun Library for 499.00 in near mint condition and it's much smoother running than a Remy 870. The bottom eject is also a real powerhouse in terms of forceful ejection. With a bit of care I can turn around, aim the ejection port at the trash can at the back of the shooting stage and pop the hull right into the can. BTW, that is about a 25 foot "throw" something you won't ever be able to do with an 870.

The only downside Is that I had to install a peel and stick Beretta Gel Cheek rest on my stock, bare naked it was one heck of a cheek slapper. First time out 50 rounds of trap had my cheekbone hurting for a week. BTW, ran 125 rounds thru it last weekend and no tender spots at all, that gel pad does exactly what I needed it to do.

I HIGHLY recommend one of these pads to anyone with cheek slap issues and they are available at Midway. BTW, clean the stock with rubbing alcohol before putting the pad in place because any oil at all on the stock will have it coming unstuck.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post