SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Shotgun muzzle brakes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun muzzle brakes Login/Join 
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Try a knoxx stock, they work plus they are adjustable for length.

This! I have a Knoxx on my 870 and I've yet to find the load that overpowers the recoil control features. With reduced loads you could shoot all day in a t-shirt and not feel it. With magnum loads you can feel the gun moving but you still don't feel much.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by low8option:
Are you talking about "porting" or are you talking about add on brakes like those used on rifles and pistols? Based on how porting works on a shotgun I would say it acts somewhat like a brake. Have use porting on my skeet, trap and sporting clays shotguns for years. What they mostly aid with is holding the barrel down so getting on second shot is easier. They also work great in the dove fields when you go for that second and third shot. As to felt recoil, I personally don't notice a difference like on those on my rifles but have had others swear they do. Best way to cut felt recoil is with butt pad or adding weight to gun or reducing your shot load which are what we do in clay bird shooting.

This is the generally accepted wisdom. Porting helps some with muzzle climb and less with recoil reduction.

Lengthening the forcing cones (the tapered section in front of the chamber) is thought to help a little with recoil, too.

I don't know how well big "tank muzzle" brakes work, but the less extreme methods of recoil reduction for shotguns make small improvements only.

None of that will make any appreciable difference with a 1.5 ounce load. That is a heavy load. But take heart, it could be worse, and be a 1.5 ounce load driven to 1300 or 1400 fps.

As many said, using lower recoil ammo helps more. Lighter loads, lower velocity.

Heavier shotguns help, too. And using gas operated autos helps quite a bit with perceived recoil as the gas mechanism spreads the recoil impulse out over time.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post