SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Favorite optic for an MK18-style rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite optic for an MK18-style rifle Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
Just looking for people's opinions on what they find most useful and workable on the MK18 SBR.
I'm not worried about being faithful to the original SEAL version, and can't find that there is one optic they generally use anyway. I was thinking about a Aimpoint Pro or similar tube style red-dot but also really like the Eotech XPS type optic.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint

Posts: 364 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run an aimpoint on anything serious and use a CompM4s on my MK18.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10986 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18Z50:
Aimpoint

Why? I am in the exact predicament and only have experience with eotec 552. There are so many options now that i cant pick and cant afford to try them all.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint.

Why? It's the best. No need to try anything else.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 966 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why? I am in the exact predicament and only have experience with eotec 552

There are some reasons to like the eotech like the reticle is very nice (at least to me) but the fact remains it is not even in the game on battery life and durability compared to the aimpoint.

Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
I have an Aimpoint T1 on my MK18ish SBR. If you prefer a larger FOV look at the Aimpoint Pro.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Both Eotech and Aimpoint sights have their strengths and advantages. I feel the Eotech is a little better for CQB due to its circle-dot reticle but when you add up the pros for Aimpoint devices, they get the nod. The biggest one for me is being able to leave it activated without it substantially running down the battery. Low draw LED’s are vastly superior in terms of efficiency as opposed to laser holograms. Up to 5 years vs. up to 1000 hours.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15541 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
here are some reasons to like the eotech like the reticle is very nice (at least to me) but the fact remains it is not even in the game on battery life and durability compared to the aimpoint.

I agree with this. That being said, I'm a big fan of ACOG's (especially the LED battery versions).

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run a comp M4 on mine with a 3X magnifier

Posts: 1741 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I certainly would be interested in the rationale behind a 3x mag on this particular gun.

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint T1 or T2 would be my very top choices. Heck, prolly my only choices.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3638 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post