SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What's your favorite 7.62/.30 Cal battle rifle and why?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite 7.62/.30 Cal battle rifle and why? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
SCAR is my go to but I do love my garands, P17 and 1903.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
My very favorite is the Stoner SR25 Match ... sold it to fund my 6.5 Creedmoor since I can't shoot 308 anymore. Pictured when I first got it with factory letter, manual and target ... and 4 Armalite waffle mags.
They didn't offer a carry handle rear sight so I bought one from Armalite.

The why ... I was instantly enammored with its smoothness and softer than any I'd ever shot, and its amazing accuracy.

My Sharps Brothers/JP Enterprise 6.5 Creedmoor, it may be more accurate than the Stoner, and definitely softer shooting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimberkid,

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Ping Wink

M1 Garand for the win. Big Grin

Forgot the why part: It served so well and did what it needed to at the time it was asked.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
SCAR 17.

Posts: 396 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Springfield SOCOM takes me back to basic training at Ft. Jackson. The shorter barrel of this version is more practical for my current civilian status. Will know a hog over in thick brush. Gun have never failed to go bang.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1531 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I'm kinda suprised no one has mentioned the AK-47 yet!

The why should be obvious ... It's iconic, it always goes bang and ......

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
M1A Scout Squad. Accurate & right sized

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HK G3 or a 91 to me easy to clean and maintain. VI...

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:

An iconic rifle, a solid military rifle, a fun shooter, and good hog gun, but not my favorite .30 cal rifle. Probably not even in my Top 5.

In fact, it's not even my favorite 7.62x39 rifle... I'd take the Vz. 58 over the AK.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
An iconic rifle, a solid military rifle, a fun shooter, and good hog gun, but not my favorite .30 cal battle rifle. Probably not even in my Top 5.

In fact, it's not even my favorite 7.62x39 battle rifle... I'd take the Vz. 58 over the AK.

Fair enough! I like my Arsenal SLR-95 better than the stamped receivers.
I was looking over the responses and was just surprised no one had mentioned it, but technically, and I just thought of it, is it considered a battle rifle or carbine?

I am suprised that so many people had mentioned the G3/HK91, while it always goes bang its ergo's aren't the best, its a bitch to clean and recoil is a beast. Or at least so I've been told, personally I've always been fond of the 91 myself. When I was younger I didn't mind the recoil and it fits me better than the FAL, but I hated cleaning it.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not to start any arguments, but I am puzzled by one thing here.
The topic title mentions “battle” rifle. For me that term conjures up images of fighting under arduous conditions, as in … battle, like warfare. I can see how people like M1 or highly accurate and tricked-out M14-type rifles for nostalgia sake or for certain types of competitions, but for battle?

I have a very early M1A and a Seekins SP-10 (an AR-10 type). Although neither one would be my choice to take to war, the SP-10 would get the nod if those were my only two options because of several things fritz mentioned.

Once again I’m probably being too literal in my interpretation of things, but that’s what the topic title caused me to think about.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
When I hear battle rifle I think primary infantry rifle in 762x51 or 762x39. What also comes to mind is proven designs that have seen large amounts of combat. To wit my short list is M14, FAL, HK91\G3, and the AK\AKM. A few AR10\SR25 type rifles have seen limited service in select applications, but not in the hands of your average grunt. Also, even though I loathe the term assault rifle, it does provide a useful break between the age of the main battle rifle and the current smaller caliber rifle\carbine that's in current issue with most military forces.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
technically, and I just thought of it, is it considered a battle rifle or carbine?

Technically, the AK-47 is an "assault rifle", since it uses an intermediate cartridge. "Battle rifles" use full size rifle cartridges.

quote:
I am suprised that so many people had mentioned the G3/HK91, while it always goes bang its ergo's aren't the best, its a bitch to clean and recoil is a beast.

Ditto. I wasn't impressed with the G3. Of the Big 3 Cold War NATO battle rifles, I like the FAL better, and the M14 the best. I've owned semiauto clones of all 3, but only currently have a M1A.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The why should be obvious ... It's iconic, it always goes bang and ......

It’s not a battle rifle based on the caliber.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
A few AR10\SR25 type rifles have seen limited service in select applications, but not in the hands of your average grunt.

That's true for the modern AR10/SR25, which has only been used in very small numbers by specialized military units, but you forget that several countries adopted the original Stoner/Armalite AR10 back in the late 1950s, including Sudan, Portugal, Guatamala, and Burma.

Granted, its overall use was small compared to other contemporary rifles like the FAL/G3/M14, with only ~10,000 military AR10s being produced, but it has seen combat in the hands of grunts. Its biggest and most visible user was the Portugese military, who fielded their AR10s extensively while fighting the bush wars in Angola and Mozambique in the 1960s.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Yes, I was primarily speaking about AR10 type rifles in US use. AFAIK only Portugal and Sudan were the only countries that adopted the AR10 as a military issue rifle. Every other country that purchased AR10's did so for specific police or military units, and not as a general issue rifle. The AR10 didn't last too long in general issue, and was replaced for the most part by G3 and AKM variant rifles. Given the number of contemporary military rifles in issue world wide, I'd say the AR10 meets the definition of limited issue regardless of application.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
A few AR10\SR25 type rifles have seen limited service in select applications, but not in the hands of your average grunt.

That's true for US use of the modern AR10/SR25, but you forget that several smaller countries adopted the original Stoner/Armalite AR10 back in the late 1950s, including Sudan, Portugal, Guatamala, and Burma.

Granted, its overall use was small compared to other contemporary rifles like the FAL/G3/M14, with only ~10,000 military AR10s being produced. Its biggest and most visible user was the Portugese military, who fielded their AR10s extensively during the bush wars in Angola and Mozambique in the 1960s

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The USA made 1.3 million M14 rifles.

FAL rifles were adopted by 90 countries. They have made about seven (7) million and are
still being manufactured as select fire military FAL's.

The H&K G3 rifle has been produced by 18 countries (under license). 7.8 million have been made
and are still being made as a select fire military arm.

For comparison, the West German's bought about 135 Stoner AR-10's. They bought 100,000 G1 rifles (FAL's).

Armalite/Stoner made a dinky little 9,900 AR10's. Their major buyers were dinky little countries
who used them in dinky little conflicts (that are largely forgotten).

To compare the Armalite/Stoner AR-10 With the above three main battle rifles is a joke! Stoner's
select fire rifle isn't a "has been" --- it's a "never wuz" (a footnote in arm's design).

Yes, I've got at least one (semi-auto version) of all four of the above long arms.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
My first .30 caliber rifle was an HK91 which was soon followed by a Blue Sky surplus M1 Garand. From there it didn't take too long for me to ditch the HK in favor of an M1A.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
Larue Tactical 20 Inch PredatOBR 7.62
I do not like auto-fire. For me semi-auto is best.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
LaRue OBR.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post