SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What's your favorite 7.62/.30 Cal battle rifle and why?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite 7.62/.30 Cal battle rifle and why? Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
I was going through the collection and realized I have a lot of .30 cal rifles, some 30 total. I tried thinking which was my favorite and it was tough!

But in my mind I thought I could give them all away except for one, my first M1 Garand. It was my first US military surplus arm and it was a wedding present. I'll have to add a picture later.

But what is your favorite 7.62/.30 cal battle rifle and why, include a picture if you can? Anything .30 cal counts....

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's not my first choice for practical purposes/defensive use (where something like a SCAR-H would be a better choice), but for sheer joy of shooting, give me a M1 Garand.

Honorable mention goes to the M1917. It's one of my favorite bolt-action military rifles in general, and IMO better than the M1903 in everything but weight.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The H&K G3

Only because I had a chance to shoot it twice with the Bundeswehr. Nice rifle!

(not me):

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
SLR/FAL.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto the FAL. Especially the Para model.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
FAL, specifically the STG58 variant

I like the design, and the look of the Stoll flash hider on these.

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Ditto the FAL. Especially the Para model.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Garand or M14,

shoot plenty of G3's and FAL, just never cared for them,

bolt wise, 1903 any day

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
My favorite is the Garand. It's just a classic. My FAL would come in second.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Currently a G3 is the only battle rifle in the safe. I’ve owned a Socom 16, an FAL variant (Israeli) and ended up sticking with the G3.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
M14. A rifleman's rifle if ever there was one.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KAC SR25 CC or PC. They are truly the pinnacle of the Stoner pattern 762x51 battle rifle. I’ve owned HK91, LaRue OBR, LMT MWS, have time behind the M1A, have time behind the FAL, and shoot a friend’s SCAR17 frequently. The SR25 CC and PC are my favorite of all.

They are highly reliable, ergonomic (Stoner pattern), great with a suppressor, accurate, handy (especially the CC which feels like an AR15 to me), fast handling, fast on reloads, soft shooting (especially with KAC MAMS), and have best in class optic mounting (because of AR15 commonality). The only thing not to like is the price.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SCAR 17. I had my fill of the M14 while in the Marines and have no desire to use an M14 as a ‘Battle Rifle’. Other purposes, perhaps. But, as a Battle Rifle in 2019, no.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
My K-31 is my favorite. If for no other reason than its near mechanical perfection.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I love my Garand but the Israeli Mauser is sentimental. Tough to pick.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
SCAR 17

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
SCAR 17. I had my fill of the M14 while in the Marines and have no desire to use an M14 as a ‘Battle Rifle’. Other purposes, perhaps. But, as a Battle Rifle in 2019, no.

I follow with your preferences... My SCAR 17 , after almost 8 years of getting proficient with it.
I know what ammo it likes, what ammo shoots the most accurately in it, etc.
Just the best choice, for me with both intermediate and long range scopes.

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 181 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KAC SR25 and LaRue OBR, with possible nod to the SR25. Advantages of these rifles include:
- Great accuracy. Compared to some battle rifles, noticeably superior accuracy.
- Easy mounting of sight systems.
- Easy mounting of shooting accessories such as night vision, laser, light, bipod.
- Cycling tolerates various bullet weights and powder charges.
- Although the DI action dumps carbon into the action, the BCG is easily cleaned and lubed. The barrel is cleaned in the proper direction -- from breech to muzzle.
- Easily suppressed.
- Maintains accuracy over long periods without fuss.
- Barrel maintains accuracy as it heats up and cools down.
- Easy ergonomics adjustments -- buttstock, grip, rail, trigger.
- Relatively easy caliber changes. Because the 308 round is getting long in the tooth, and 6.5mm and 7mm bores perform better at distances beyond 400 yards.

There are quality rifles prior to the AR10-ish platform, but these rifles have been surpassed by modern firearms.

Next in line would be the SCAR 17.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Everyone knows mine by now.

The M14 just has soul. There are rifles that are easier to clean, easier to accuratize, easier to accessorize but the M14, despite its age, can still be modernized, accuratized or be configured as a classic steel and wood work of art.

It's nostalgic to its fan base and they see it as worth the money to still buy or build one.

In its basic form, when properly built, it's easily a very capable battle rifle with sufficient battlefield accuracy (man-sized hits out to long distances). The iron sights are some of the best ever designed.

It still fits the form factor for a hunting rifle if that's your thing and there are plenty of M14/M1A owners that harvest deer every year with their old battle rifle. Many of them are just standard rifles.

It served the military as the premier service rifle for many years and can be built into a sub-MOA hammer...

You can build a nine pound M14 or a 19 pound M14. There are lots of possibilities.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
I am quite pleased with my LMT MWS. It is accurate, you can change the barrels out easily, and it uses P mags.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
M14, I had one in the service. Loved it.

I have a M1A.

But I really really love the SMLE/ no.4- but it’s .303

I’ve had three at different times in my life. And I’m jonesing for another now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post