SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What's your favorite 7.62/.30 Cal battle rifle and why?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite 7.62/.30 Cal battle rifle and why? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
FAL, hands down. Ergonomics and reliability.

I was paid $7.54/HR to go into harm's way so you didn't have to.

Posts: 646 | Location: Heart of Dixie! | Registered: April 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As my username will imply, the Garand.

Not a huge fan of the "normal" flip up M14 buttplate, but an M14 type rifle with the early T44E4 type stock or a regular M14 wood stock with the even harder to find plastic spacer and Garand buttplate isn't bad either.

As for the why, I find them easy to operate, reliable and accurate. I also find them interesting from a historical perspective.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
Met a SEAL in Viet Nam in 1971 who carried a Stoner. It was a full auto AR-10 with an M-79 grenade launcher underneath. I was duly impressed.

I carried an M-2 Carbine, an M-14, and an M-16 at different times and places in Viet Nam. I preferred the M-14 for shooting and the M-16 for humping.

I have always wanted an original full auto M1918 BAR. A Marine in Viet Nam carried one. We used to see how few rounds we could get off with one trigger pull. I usually did three and sometimes two. He could consistently get off one shot

I have a Springfield Armory loaded stainless M1A and an Armalite AR-10. Love both of them.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FAL, FAL, FAL....cause they make me feel funny in my pants.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 367 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few to choose from: Garand, FAL, FN49, and MAS 49/56. If I had to pick one, it would probably be the FAL for ammo choice, capacity, and reliability/simplicity.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arlen:
I do not like auto-fire. For me semi-auto is best.

Uh, what? That’s crazy talk. If given the option, select-fire no contest. Smile I understand what you’re saying and I’m only sort of saying that tongue in cheek. But as an aficionado of machineguns, I’ll have to agree to disagree.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I can't find anything I like more than my SCAR17.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Thank you Lima Charlie. I was wondering where the love for the M1918 (especially the A2 variant) was

One day I will find one and mortgage my soul...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
The
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
quote:

Uh, what? That’s crazy talk. If given the option, select-fire no contest. Smile I understand what you’re saying and I’m only sort of saying that tongue in cheek. But as an aficionado of machineguns, I’ll have to agree to disagree.

Why isn’t there a “Like” button?

I not only like it, I agree with Josh 1000% most modern military long arms that have an “automatic” setting also have a “semi” setting, just because you have it doesn’t mean you have to use it Wink
Options baby! Gimme OPTIONS!!!

As nice as a Like button would be, this is also kinda “tongue in cheek”, as I doubt adding a like button would be easy or cheap)

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've owned a Garand, an M1A, an FAL and a 1903-A3. The only one I still have is the FAL. The others fell by the wayside mostly when I needed the money to fund other projects. I'd love to have another Garand someday, though. I'd be comfortable with either of them.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bingo.

Full auto is really quite difficult for most shooters to handle in a hand-held rifle. Of course, full auto from a belt-fed machine gun that is supported on a tripod is a different matter. But unless I'm in the wrong thread, the discussion is rifles.

Most shooters can't control a 223 full auto rifle from a standing, off-hand position. Increase the cartridge to a 308-class round and the bullet spray can get crazy.

Most shooters can't control the recoil from a 308-class semi-auto very well. And that's with a slow-fire, measured shot cadence. For such shooters the sights move off target dramatically during recoil. The shooters probably never have seen their own bullet actually impact a target. They probably never will see their own bullet trace. And although the shooters state that a 308 has almost no recoil, they complain of a sore shoulder after a 100 rounds in a day. Maybe even 50 rounds in a day.

Full auto is fun. With most nuts behind the butt, in full auto the bullets go all over the place.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Let's see... I have an Arisaka, Finnish M91 Mosin, Enfield, K98, M1A and FAL. Different guns for different things...

If I had to go out to the woods and survive, I'd take the K98. It's reliable, bullet proof, hard hitting and accurate.

If I had to adapt between hunting two and four legged things, I'd take the scoped M1A. More tender than the K98 or FAL, but has a scope and that could be useful for some things at range.

If it's showtime, it's FAL time. Reliable, good ergo's, still reliable, pretty good iron sights with quick target acquisition, accurate after a fashion, and reliable. Besides, nothing looks cooler when you are standing around at a road block with it slung waist high with a top mounted sling.

The Arisaka's great, very accurate, tough and has good sights, but ammo is unobtanium.

The Enfield is tough, sights suck, is heavy as a fence post, but would be my first choice if I had to beat a Mountain Troll to death.

The Mosin is about 14 feet long, and I can't hit shit with it, but you put a spike bayonet on the end, and it makes a great cattle prod.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have a great fondness of the G3, though I prefer the FAL for actual use. I hope US production brings down SCAR17 prices so I can pick one up and give it a try.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
The Enfield is tough, sights suck, is heavy as a fence post, but would be my first choice if I had to beat a Mountain Troll to death.

It's interesting that you consider the Enfield to be "heavy as a fence post", considering it's roughly the same weight as your K98k (and possibly your Arisaka depending on that model) and a couple pounds lighter than your FAL or M1A...

If you think the Enfield's sights suck, you probably have an earlier No. 1 Mk. III with it's notch and post sights. Try a later No. 4 Mk. 1, which has greatly improved peep sights that offers a USGI-style sight picture, but retains the same Enfield ruggedness and slick action.

If I had to go into battle with a WW2-era bolt action rifle, I'd most likely want a No. 4 Enfield. Accurate, rugged, quick action, good sight picture, and 10 round magazine.

Or, there's also the No. 5 Enfield "Jungle Carbine", which not only has a peep sight like the No. 4 but is also about a pound and a half lighter, which would address both of your grips...

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
You are right, I have a No.1 Mk. III*. It has enough cosmoline in the stock to still sweat when I take it out in the Florida sun, and it has those absurd tiny notch and post sights.

It does have 10 rounds, which is nice, it is a very slick action, and it has a bayonet which is an added plus.

I'd love to have a jungle carbine, but the pricing on those has gotten out of hand, and I understand you have to be careful to get a real one, not a replica.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father carried a Garand during the Cold War, shortly after the Korean War, and a Korean re-import briefly resided with me, so, my quick answer is the M1 Garand. One day, I would like to buy another one, and keep it, this time.

Why? It is, at this point, about holding the preceding generation’s history in my hands. (My “service rifle,” carried as a police patrol rifle, was a Colt AR15A2 Govt Carbine.)

From time to time, early M1a rifles, at a nearby FFL, draw my attention, but I can get a really nice Garand for less than a collectible M1a. I used to think that I needed to acquire a battle rifle that accepted detachable box magazines, for practical/tactical but I have aged-out of carrying that kind of load-out.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:

I am suprised that so many people had mentioned the G3/HK91, while it always goes bang its ergo's aren't the best, its a bitch to clean and recoil is a beast. Or at least so I've been told, personally I've always been fond of the 91 myself. When I was younger I didn't mind the recoil and it fits me better than the FAL, but I hated cleaning it.

That’s interesting. I got to shoot the G-3 a couple times in Germany and don’t recall the recoil being bad at all? Then again I grew up shooting .35 Remingtons and 30-06’s from age 12 on so maybe I was used to it?

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The M1 Garand would be my first choice, but the FAL is right up there too! Big Grin

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
the OP did not specify that I had to go into a battle with my selection, so I'll go with my Springfield U.S. Rifle Caliber .30 Model of 1903.
If someone is shooting back, FAL

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
SCAR-17 for business. M1 Garand for range giggles.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post