SIGforum
What's your favorite 7.62/.30 Cal battle rifle and why?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/5760024064

September 24, 2019, 08:30 PM
PorterN
What's your favorite 7.62/.30 Cal battle rifle and why?
I love my M1 Garands a ton, but that dang AR10 with halfway decent ammo and a good scope is great, intermediate-distance, DMR-precision fun. But i dont know if that has more DMR in it than EBR to qualify here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PorterN,

September 26, 2019, 05:21 PM
huskerlrrp
HK G3, they aren't the most accurate but they can eat sand and reach out and touch someone.

September 26, 2019, 10:36 PM
jsbcody
HK G3. I bought enough magazines at $1 apiece to last several lifetimes. I also picked up the full Armorer's Kit and Tool box when they were dirt cheap. I have two now, both PTR91 GIs. Both have had the upgrades:

1. HK21 Recoil pad
2. HK21 charging handle
3. Recoil reducing buffers installed
4. I have one Bill Springfield trigger pack

RTG Parts is the place to go for HK parts.

That said, I am very interested in the Tavor 7 that just came out. Waiting on some more reviews and range tests before I get one.
September 26, 2019, 11:10 PM
hrcjon
I've owned a lot of guns. I rarely sell like never. But the one gun I hated enough to sell was a G3. it touched many of my 'like' buttons like cheap mags and parts. But a normal human shouldn't shoot one in volume.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
September 28, 2019, 04:19 PM
Outnumbered
My Rhodie FAL on a DSA forged Type 1.5 R1 receiver still makes me smile enough, that I have no desire to pursue any other battle riFALs!
September 28, 2019, 07:45 PM
OldLawman
Two:

NM-spec. Tanker Garand in .308 built by a former AMU/Fulton Armory 'smith.

Or

DSA built 18" FAL Para.

No good deed goes unpunished.
September 28, 2019, 09:44 PM
trover
Springfield Armory Squad Scout - because a former Seal Team Six Commander friend recommended it to me.
September 29, 2019, 10:53 AM
Badhammer
French MAS 49/56. For a main battle rifle in .30 cal., it’s very compact and rugged as all get out. The only real drawback is the magazine capacity and even that can be overcome by modifying FM 24/29 mags.
September 29, 2019, 10:56 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by Badhammer:
French MAS 49/56. For a main battle rifle in .30 cal., it’s very compact and rugged as all get out. The only real drawback is the magazine capacity...

... Plus the lack of 7.5x54 ammo availability. Only one company currently produces 7.5 French ammo.

(And Century Arms' attempts at converting some 49/56s to .308 did not go well, as with so many of Century's hack jobs. They're terribly unreliable.)
September 29, 2019, 11:20 AM
Badhammer
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Badhammer:
French MAS 49/56. For a main battle rifle in .30 cal., it’s very compact and rugged as all get out. The only real drawback is the magazine capacity...

... Plus the lack of 7.5x54 ammo availability. Only one company currently produces 7.5 French ammo.

(And Century Arms' attempts at converting some 49/56s to .308 did not go well, as with so many of Century's hack jobs. They're terribly unreliable.)

You’re correct about the ammo but a set of dies and some brass takes care of that.

As far as the Century .308 conversions go I have no personal experience with regards to the MAS 49/56. Do have a MAS 36 conversion and it’s pitiful. There are probably some 49/56 conversions Century did that work well but is wager those are the exception rather than the rule.

I recall at one time there was a gunsmith in PA, don’t recall if he did any actual 7.5/7.62 conversions or just fixed the ones Century did but he would make the gas system adjustable which I guess would allow you to tune the rifle to the ammo.

Seems like he also offered an option where he could modify the rifle to use FAL mags. Now that would be a nice way to go.
September 30, 2019, 07:21 PM
OldLawman
That 'smith might be Colby Adler. I think he is still in business.

No good deed goes unpunished.
October 01, 2019, 08:19 PM
Badhammer
quote:
Originally posted by OldLawman:
That 'smith might be Colby Adler. I think he is still in business.

I did some digging, Bill Toth is the gunsmith I was thinking about. Don’t think he’s still in business.
October 04, 2019, 10:37 AM
szuppo
Quite a list of rifles listed in this thread. I've owned and or shot most and my favorite thus far is my LMT MWS. Quite surprised at the accuracy of this rifle. Love it.

Semper Fi
January 07, 2020, 05:38 PM
AUTiger89
I'm surprised nobody mentioned a Galil Ace.

Phone's ringing, Dude.
January 07, 2020, 06:25 PM
powermad
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
I'm surprised nobody mentioned a Galil Ace.

I came pretty close to buying one but the rail on the removable dust cover killed it for me.

I've had a hard on for the FAL since I was kid.
Built quite a few when kits were everywhere and cheap. You could build a nice one for less than $400 easy and Milsurp was stupidly cheap for quite a while.

I had sold off my FAL's and wanted to get back into .308
The prices for a FAL clone was more than I cared to spend, I figured if I get another FAL I'd just pony up a few more bucks and get one that says FN on the side, preferably a 50.63
I looked at a few different .308 semi autos and went with a Ruger SR762.
It fit my price range and had the features I wanted. Swapped out a couple parts to suit me and never looked back.
And since I figured out that Matrix makes the upper and lower for Ruger I have different options available to put another upper on it.
January 08, 2020, 05:46 AM
Spieler
The FAL and G3 variants have been perennial favorites of mine that I've been shooting since I was a teen in the mid 1980s.

As far as bolt guns go, my dad's .308 Winchester M70 and my Brit No.4 in .303 I tend to go for first.

January 08, 2020, 03:48 PM
TGA
No 4. MK I Enfield. By far my favorite shooters, other than my 1903A3 and Garand...
January 09, 2020, 11:15 AM
Slippery Pete
For a do it all 308 semi auto, which would include possibly having to carry it for a while, I can't see much better than the SCAR 17.

Galil Ace would be up there, bulletproof but heavy.

Sig 751 SAPR, probably similar story to the Galil, just unsure of the weight and accuracy.

If the Bren2 offers a 308, that could take over the SCAR depending on accuracy and weight.

B&T APC 308? I'm unsure, need to do some homework on it.

Sig Virtus in 308? Who the hell knows. Maybe it will be a contender.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/
January 09, 2020, 12:22 PM
KLGUY
G3, it’s what I lugged around in the Army.
It‘s loud, dirty and recoils a lot, the flying brass will kill bystanders.
I love it.
January 10, 2020, 02:09 AM
CPD SIG
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
quote:
Originally posted by arlen:
I do not like auto-fire. For me semi-auto is best.

Uh, what? That’s crazy talk. If given the option, select-fire no contest. Smile I understand what you’re saying and I’m only sort of saying that tongue in cheek. But as an aficionado of machineguns, I’ll have to agree to disagree.

I'd say that all depends on who's footing the bill.

Nothing like an M-60 for a 7.62 battle rifle!
But they're expensive.

What gets even more expensive? Something that can be set to full rock-n-roll, bullets get more expensive. Wink

I liked those toys when my favorite Uncle let me play with his toys and footed the bill.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy