SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    30/30 Rifles Marlin, Henry or Winchester?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30/30 Rifles Marlin, Henry or Winchester? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
I have a Winchester 30/30 from the early 70's that I loaned my son for deer season. If I was going to purchase a new lever action which would you guys look at and why? In line with that Walmart has a Henry in 45/70 for $720 seems steep. They have a Marlin in 30/30 for mid $300's.

Thanks
Ed

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
I have a Winchester 30/30 from the early 70's that I loaned my son for deer season. If I was going to purchase a new lever action which would you guys look at and why? In line with that Walmart has a Henry in 45/70 for $720 seems steep. They have a Marlin in 30/30 for mid $300's.

Thanks
Ed

Marlin. All the way. But I would try to source a pre-Remington model 336 in good shape. There are tons of them out there in like new shape for less money than a new Remlin. Perhaps even with optics already on it, if it is in the plan.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15571 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I would get a Winchester or Marlin lever gun. I’d rather check Armslist and other sources for an older one in good shape.

Since most have moved on to scoped bolt-actions one should be able to find used in decent shape.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Winchester or Marlin

Marlins are easier to scope,

no to the henry,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haunt your local pawn shop for a good used Marlin 336.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One more "Malin" vote. I haven't been impressed with the Henry rifles.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Look for a JM stamped Marlin or Glennfield on the used market. The older the better.

I think Henry makes decent rim fire arms, but I'm not a fan of their center fire pieces.

As a guy who gets a lot of his stuff at cost, I'll say I recently spent too much - even at cost - on a new Marlin 336BL in .30-30, and I would advise against new.

An older variant in the family - 1971 336 in .35rem - is twice the rifle the new version is.

Posts: 10748 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
How are the new Winchester's made in Japan?

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Miroku is still the manufacture IIRC. They are a class act shop. In many instances I look for the miroku guns.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I own some older Marlins nice guns and a Winchester 94 lighter also but for a smooth butter action Henry. They make a 1st rate product fit and finish. The Marlins and the Henry shoot like tack drivers in 30/30 now the Winchester not as nice but then my rifle has been risen hard and put away wet. Henry's Golden Boys series are super nice also. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Pre- crossbolt safety Marlin.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
How are the new Winchester's made in Japan?

great quality, good to go,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like Marlins.

But, in general, Miroku (which supplies some Winchester guns) makes a gun that competes with anything. We have a Miroku O/U that is a Citori with different markings. Miroku makes Citoris for Browning.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
I have an older Win 94 (40's) and a JM Marlin 336. The Marlin is easier to scope and has a tighter lever (smoother) function. The Win is good with iron sights and easy to carry (a shotgun sling works ok with a tube sling band)

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Haunt your local pawn shop for a good used Marlin 336.

^^ This right here. I own two Marlins....one an '82 that my grandda passed on to me, and the other is an 87' that I picked up a couple years ago for a song & $200. Both are outstanding rifles.

Posts: 1729 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Marlin. They are easier to scope than a Winchester, easier to dissasemble, and they don't throw brass at your face. The older ones are nicer, but newer ones can also be acceptable...just look it over good before you buy. The nice thing about .30-30 is that its a very popular chambering, so good deals on used ones are out there if you're patient.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have Henrys in .30-30 and .357 mag. The only thing i don't like is that stupid magazine tube loading system. Much easier with a Winchester or Marlin with a loading gate

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
The older 336 Marlins are very nice. Mine in 30/30 was made in 1980.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
There is something just so right about a good old iron sighted Winchester 30/30. Take the time and adjust the iron sights for around 1 1/4" high at 100 yards it is a formidable weapon.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Older Marlin 30/30!
Solid, easier, faster action to cycle than the 94 and if need be, easier to mount a scope.

Although not as “iconic”, Marlin is a functionally better rifle for the cartridge.

You may also want to peruse a .35 Rem chambered 336.

I’ve owned many of both.

Henry are nicely made, scratch my head everytime I see one... Kings patent expired a century+ ago.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BillyBonesNY,

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post