SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope Rotation Time- Is it just me?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Rotation Time- Is it just me? Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted
About once a year I start looking at my scopes (as in, what scope is it, what rifle is it on, etc) and start wondering what the %$#& I was thinking setting them up like this. For example, my Steyr 7mm Rem Mag Pro Hunter has a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 Rapid Z 600 on it, yet for whatever reason I have a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 Rapid Z 800 set up on my custom Mauser .25-06. Why wouldn't those two be inverted, with the larger 7 mag taking the 50mm, given it's slightly extended range? Then again, I have a new Leupold that comes with the CDS system, and I haven't even removed it from the shrink wrap yet. Had thought that I'd use it on my (currently unscoped) Remington .270 BDS, but then what if I want it for something else? And why did I put a Leupold 3-9x40 full sized scope on that Mannlicher Shoenauer 6.5, when what she really wants is an abbreviated scope more in keeping with her classic lines? It's like putting a giant set of... well, nevermind that line of thinking.

So as usual, I'm now pondering just how badly I want to take off 4-5 scopes and start playing rotate the scope.... Am I the only one here who at least annually starts second guessing my scoping choices? Should I remove them all and spend a week at the range re-sighting, or just suck it up and wait for the fever to pass?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I don't share your affliction. Razz

The scopes you have mentioned seemed similar enough it wouldn't be worth the trouble IMHO.

This is all for fun, so if you are bored this weekend, go for it!!! Smile

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know virtually nothing of the scopes you mention. I will take IndianaBoy's word that they are fairly similar in form and function. As such, rotating scopes for the purpose of rotating scopes seems like a waste of time, effort, and ammo.

It does make sense to change (not rotate) scopes when a rifle's primary purpose is better suited to a specific scope. For example, the rifle that is consistently used for your longest range targets probably deserves your highest magnification scope. Or maybe the one with the clearest glass. Or maybe the one with the greatest ability to dial various elevations.

In the past month I did change out scopes on a couple of rifles, courtesy of cyber Monday sales:
- My primary competition AR-15 got a new scope with uber-clear glass. The existing scope is still very good, but maybe 4 years old.
- The 4 year old scope goes to my backup competition AR-15. I can now make a more seamless transition from one rifle to the other, and put more mileage on the backup rifle.
- The 8-ish year old scope that was on the backup rifle is still a decent optic, but not what I want for competition. I will sell it, and someone will certainly be uber happy with it.

This is all a part of a multi-year plan of optics upgrades, which likely needs another one or two cyber Monday sales before it is complete.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's just you. Wink

I hate change for no reason - be it carry weapons, weapon modifications, optics, you name it.

Once I get a optic I like on a weapon, then get it really dialed in, it's an act of congress to remove it. Usually only done when it's replaced or there is a good reason to make a switch.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
and I thought I was overthinking it when I try to decide which Unertl/Lyman scope to put on the 22...

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Well, as you asked, I’d say it’s you.

When I’m shooting a lot, I don’t have much interest in modifying my guns. If there’s a specific reason for swapping scopes around, that would be understandable, but to do it just for the sake of something to do? No.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Once I get a optic I like on a weapon, then get it really dialed in, it's an act of congress to remove it. Usually only done when it's replaced or there is a good reason to make a switch.

I previously had the same thought. Change bad! I've had a handful of scopes fail on me, kept them too long. I'm now on the 5K round max plan. Send them down the road.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:

I previously had the same thought. Change bad! I've had a handful of scopes fail on me, kept them too long. I'm now on the 5K round max plan. Send them down the road.
I have no issues with that, replacing an older scope.

I just laugh at all things "rotation" in the gun realm. CCW rotation, Knife rotation, scope rotation. It is all just so pointless (to me).

posted Hide Post
quote:

I just laugh at all things "rotation" in the gun realm. CCW rotation, Knife rotation, scope rotation. It is all just so pointless (to me).

Me too, especially the CCW rotation.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
the CCW rotation.

Especially when determined by a person's "mood" or how long a weapon has been in the safe. lol. Wink

Sorry for the slight thread drift. Big Grin

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
No apologies needed, though I was hoping for at least one more person who'd identify with my unique situation. It's not so much rotating them for the sake of rotating them, but moreso that I start second guessing the best and highest use for each scope.

Rotating ccw? Well, if you mean wearing a different gun based on what I'm wearing and what will print least, then guilty I am. If you mean "it's Tuesday, and the 229 seems like a good carry for the day," then not so much. Tuesdays are for the 19, Thursdays the 229. Razz

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
It's not so much rotating them for the sake of rotating them, but moreso that I start second guessing the best and highest use for each scope.

As the user, you really are the only one who can determine the best and highest use for each scope/rifle combo.

Magnification levels, glass quality, elevation & windage adjustments, reticle design, scope size & weight, ring height, eye relief distance, parallax setting or adjustment, scope durability, scope repeatability after adjusting windage & elevation, intended target size, potential for target movement, ability to move among different targets, target distances, ballistics of a given bullet & chambering -- these are among the things which determine the best and highest use for a given scope/rifle combo.

You likely won't figure this out in your basement or in your garage or behind a keyboard, but rather by sending bullets down range at targets similar to the conditions of your scope/rifle combo best and highest use. My gut tells me you don't yet have enough mileage behind any of your existing combos to know this.

Get out there and shoot some more before you futz with your existing equipment setup.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes and no for me.

But not for the same reasons as you.

I have a 375HH that I sometimes switch scopes on depending on what I'm going to do with it. I was on a pack raft trip a few months ago and thought I'd use it for moose if the opportunity arose, possibly caribou but wanted something that could stop a bear god forbid. I went back and forth and ended up pulling the vortex scope it had and put on a Leopoldo vx3 1.5-5x20. I decided I wanted some magnification but also that low power since I was expecting thick brush and fairly close shots.

Also recently I've been trying to put together a longer range hunting rifle, while my limbers and weather bows seem solid for most things I'm trying to put together a rifle that is relatively lightweight but would let me stretch it out a bit. It's a Christensen ridgeline and I've been going back and forth between a Leopoldo vx6 and a nightforce SHV.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
Yes and no for me.

But not for the same reasons as you.

I have a 375HH that I sometimes switch scopes on depending on what I'm going to do with it. I was on a pack raft trip a few months ago and thought I'd use it for moose if the opportunity arose, possibly caribou but wanted something that could stop a bear god forbid. I went back and forth and ended up pulling the vortex scope it had and put on a Leopoldo vx3 1.5-5x20. I decided I wanted some magnification but also that low power since I was expecting thick brush and fairly close shots.

Also recently I've been trying to put together a longer range hunting rifle, while my limbers and weather bows seem solid for most things I'm trying to put together a rifle that is relatively lightweight but would let me stretch it out a bit. It's a Christensen ridgeline and I've been going back and forth between a Leopoldo vx6 and a nightforce SHV.

You could buy every scope I have for the cost of your one Nightforce, so we are in a different league, methinks. I have read you should buy more glass than you think you need, so perhaps that is my issue. Or perhaps it's that I don't see as well with a 3x9x40 these days as I did 30 years ago? Nah, that can't be it.

-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I go through the same thing but the reason I am continually swapping scopes is because I don't have enough scopes for my rifles. I've got a Leupold MK4 ER/T 4.5-14x50mm, a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x50 Rapid-Z 600 and a SWFA 10x42mm that I recently purchased.

I've got three scopes and six rifles that need scopes, plus I'm always testing other rifles. As a result, I'm always playing musical scopes.

I recently bought the SWFA for the purpose of being able to test various rifles so I can just leave the other two scopes on my best shooters. The problem I have now is that I've got two amazing shooters that deserve the Luepold, so I see a 4th scope next year which may be a Leupold, NightForce or US Optics.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
You could buy every scope I have for the cost of your one Nightforce, so we are in a different league, methinks.
Or perhaps it's that I don't see as well with a 3x9x40 these days as I did 30 years ago?

The Nightforce that newmexican refers to is an SHV -- NF's value line of scopes. Based on a quick Google of your glass, the SHV optics aren't all that more costly than your Zeiss 4-14x. I have a NF SHV scope -- it has quality glass and controls, and is a very good scope for the money. But it's not an uber expensive Nightforce ATACR model. And yes, I have an ATACR to make the comparisons.

My poor vision started in 2nd or 3rd grade, and I've worn glasses or contacts since then. Over the years my vision continues to deteriorate. I'm nearsighted and require progressive lenses. Scopes are the long-distance sighting systems for our rifles. I compare scopes to the steering linkage and tires on a sports car. It doesn't matter how big the engine is if we can't control its direction. We don't need to invest mega bucks into Tangent Theta or Schmidt & Bender PMII scopes to shoot well, but we should have optics with reasonable clarity and durability.

My advice is to consider optics as an integral part of a rifle system, not as an option or afterthought once a rifle arrives. Spend some time with your current setups before swapping scopes. And especially before shelling out money for another scope.

posted Hide Post
This is exactly what I did last saturday , move scopes from one rifle too another. Here's why this happens the new rifle I had too have with the scope I had too have was all planned in my head at the LGS.
Now that I look at the combination for awhile I see the error in my logic so the scope switching begans.
The kicker is that I note have a new in box Leupold straight 6 with nothing to mount it on.

Posts: 636 | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have no issues with that, replacing an older scope.

Offgrid presents a valid point about scope failures, however it may not be an issue for many users.

In steel/tactical/precision matches the shooter is constantly moving among targets of different distances. Sometimes we hold over/under elevation using our reticles, but much of the time we dial elevation for each new target. In most one-day matches the shooter will work a scope's elevation turret more than a average hunter will during his entire lifetime -- plus the lifetime of his next 3 or 4 heirs. From my experience over the last few years of competition, the number one source of optics failure in the steel matches is elevation tracking errors.

These tracking errors have occurred in virtually every brand of scope I've been around, from the value lines all the way up to the premium models. So far, none of my scopes have shown elevation tracking issues, but it is something I'm becoming more aware of. We tactical shooters are likely pushing scope designs a little further than they were originally intended, and parts are wearing out.

posted Hide Post
I have changed them out a few times over the years as preference of one scope over another changed for various reasons.

I hunt in the valley south of San Antonio and in the Hill Country to the west of there. You can take the easy shots, but if you want a challenge, you can regularly get long shots with some dramatic elevation changes. I have hunted a buddy's ranch where the house sits up high on the hill with a great view of 3 pastures. Shots all over the place from 200-500 yds with elevation drops of up to 24 degrees. Sounds easy, but unlike paper/steel targets, animals don't stay still and hilltops often have considerable wind.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Abn556,

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post