SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Muzzle devices: Do you notice the weight?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle devices: Do you notice the weight? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I just installed the SiCo ASR flash suppressor on my 6933 Colt. The A2 with crush washer was 2.25 oz. The ASR is 3.95 oz. I'm sure I will get used to it but I can really notice less than 2 oz added to the end of that 11.5" pencil barrel!

Has anyone else experienced this or am I just strange? My favorite thing about the 6933 is how light it is and how quick it transitions. I hope it passes but it's bugging me, presently.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I have YHM flash hider mounts on two ARs and didn't notice the difference at all. Neither of them were ultra lightweight rifles to begin with though: one a 16" carbine with an M4 profile barrel and 13" MLok handguard, and the other a match/target rifle with a 20" Krieger match barrel, a fairly beefy 15" handguard and a big scope. The carbine has a Sig Romeo5 RDS and Magpul BUIS on it.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much does your lightweight rifle weigh? I’d guess at least 5 lbs loaded, which is 80 oz. I don’t know that I’d be sensitive enough to really be bothered by an extra 2 oz., personally. But this begs the question of why bother putting a suppressor mount on the end? If 2 oz is going to be an issue, how is it going to be adding a 10 oz. can on the end of the muzzle?

If you’re swapping out an A2 flash hider for a suppressor mount, the mount is almost always going to be heavier because it needs extra material for the mounting and locking system of the suppressor. About the only way to mitigate it is to go with direct thread (no muzzle device), or see if a titanium mount is available.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Yep, nothing to be done about it. I knew what I was getting into. I put the ASR mount on so I could take the can on and off easily and not have to deal with losing a thread protector.
I knew it would be different. I know 2 oz is nothing to notice when the rifle is on a sling or at the ready. I was just surprised that I am sensitive enough now to sense 2 oz when it's at the end of a swinging barrel.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the can I use on those two ARs is a .30 can. I've got another can in the pipeline now, this one a 5.56mm can. When I get it I think I'm going to swap the QD adapter from the .30 can onto the 5.56 can, and put a 5/8x24 direct thread adapter on the .30 can. It would then be dedicated to my 6.5CM bolt gun once I get around to having it shortened a bit and threaded.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I will stay with direct thread on the bolt 308. The QD is just easier on the AR.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli