SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Decent shooting SOCOM 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decent shooting SOCOM 16 Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I got this rifle to bed into the McMillan. I don't typically see good results with full power 168 grain stuff, but this one did seem to shoot quite well. First three at 7 o'clock, last two at 1 o'clock. I consider 2" out of a bone stock SOCOM to be quite good; especially without any more load development and tuning of the gas system or gas lock.

I'm wondering of the scout hand guard helped or not. It's through Fulton and might be an Ultimak. I've never handled an Ultimak before so I don't know if it's the same. It's marked with FA on the front.

In my research, SOCOM's seem to shoot better with middle of the range loads with 155 grain or lighter bullets. I haven't found a good load that works very well with 168 or 175 grain bullets. Typical groups out of a bone stock SOCOM are usually around 6" or more at 100 yards. Anything under 3" is considered good. 2" is very good. Under 1.5" is outstanding.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I can shoot under 3 inch groups with my Socom and use open sights. Mine is a tack driver.

Love your set up.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Every so often the stars align. Love that stock.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6963 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now there's a couple of rifles to be proud of. I kick myself for not getting one years ago.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I got this rifle to bed into the McMillan. I don't typically see good results with full power 168 grain stuff, but this one did seem to shoot quite well. First three at 7 o'clock, last two at 1 o'clock. I consider 2" out of a bone stock SOCOM to be quite good; especially without any more load development and tuning of the gas system or gas lock.

I'm wondering of the scout hand guard helped or not. It's through Fulton and might be an Ultimak. I've never handled an Ultimak before so I don't know if it's the same. It's marked with FA on the front.

In my research, SOCOM's seem to shoot better with middle of the range loads with 155 grain or lighter bullets. I haven't found a good load that works very well with 168 or 175 grain bullets. Typical groups out of a bone stock SOCOM are usually around 6" or more at 100 yards. Anything under 3" is considered good. 2" is very good. Under 1.5" is outstanding.

Tony.

Will see what my socom does with an NM trigger group. I have unitized the gas system gone with a Socom specific gas plug, sadlak piston. Was under 2 inches with my hand loads before with stock trigger group for 168 grain 42.6 grains IMR 4895. Waiting for range to open up supposed to after this weekend.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post