SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Am I nuts for wanting an 870 Express in 20-gauge?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am I nuts for wanting an 870 Express in 20-gauge? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I think this is another case of the "I want it" without a logical reason for getting it... I'm not sure.

I've got an opportunity to get a good deal on either a 26- or 28-inch 870 Express in 20-ga. I wanted to buy a 20 a long time ago, when I was skeet shooting with a girlfriend (wanted the 20 for her). That's been several years ago and for some reason I still want the 20. I use my 12-ga Express when skeet shooting, or an 11-87 when hunting, so I can't really say I have a need for the 20. But I want it.

Set it up for home defense? Ehh, maybe. But the aftermarket goodies are far more plentiful for 12-ga guns.
Grab it in case the current GF would like to go shoot? Possibly.
Project gun? Idunno... it's not like it's a 10/22, you know.

Maybe I'm like Stickman428 with motorcycles and watches: "Ooh, shiny! I'll take it!" Big Grin
(Pickin' at ya, stick.)

Do I need it? No. Do I still want it? Yes.
And if I give in and get it, is the 26 or the 28 more practical in and of itself for any reason (knowing that I don't really have an intended use at this point)?

Confused

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a custom built 20 gauge youth model with all the police internals and a larger magazine. I bought it from a guy in Michigan. Retired Marine, gunsmith. I talked to him by phone. He talks you into the cheapest possible for your needs. Interesting to talk to. Brief conversation. TOTALLY satisfied with the shotgun! Here is a quote from his website:

You never have to repeat yourself when you have an 870 in your hands 'cause they heard you perfectly clear the first damn time.
J.D McGuire

LINK: https://www.aiptactical.com

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Wow, there's a lot of information there.
Thank you for that link.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I bought a used 20 gauge 870 Express with the 21" VR barrel over 12 years ago. I toss it and some slugs and #3 buck in my Jeep when going to the woods. I put together a Maverick 88 20 gauge Youth with an 18.5" barrel. It is 36" long, I call it my 'Yard Stick'. Sometimes take it.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
The more I think about this, the more it becomes a project gun in my mind... 18-1/2" barrel add-on?

Hogue rubber stock?

Cool

God bless America.

Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
For a girlfriend I'd get her the 20 gauge Express 870 Youth. The 21" barrel is short but long enough for hunting. Plus you can swap choke tubes. Leave it stock.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The RE 20 ga was my first gun. It is a classic, buy it. The 20 ga is elegant. For a lady I recommend a Beretta 39X in 20 ga, or a similar gas gun. It is very soft shooting.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a 20 ga youth cheap in the used rack of my LGS. It’s become a favorite. My 11 year old son can use it to shoot skeet and hand to me and I can shoot the next round of skeet. I have used it on many upland bird hunts cause it carries so easy and swings very nicely for me.

I ended up finding a 20 ga express in 26 inch later on for like $200 so I bought it as well. But these things happen.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I nuts for wanting an 870 Express in 20-gauge?

Yes.

Not nuts for wanting a 20ga.
Not even nuts for wanting a nice older 870.

Nuts for wanting an 870 Express, yes.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider finding an older 20 gauge Wingmaster. Early ones were built on 12 gauge frames. Will accept 12 gauge furniture, mag extensions.... 12 gauge frame is little heavier compared to a 20 gauge frame, not a bad thing I believe. The 20 gauge Wingmaster action is smooth! Cut the barrel, added a XS Big Dot front sight, Magpul stock. Sweet shotgun!

Top 12 gauge bought as barrel-less police trade in. Put the forend that came with it on the 20 gauge, better fit for Mrs offgrid then the Magpul. The 20 gauge on a 12 gauge frame indicator is the barrel taper at the frame.

Clearly see the taper.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
The only thing I disliked about my 870 Express 20ga. was the loading gate.
I'm not fat thumbed/fingered by any means, but it always seemed to chew up the sides of my thumb if I wasn't taking my time.

Otherwise, the 20ga. buckshot commonly available is no joke on the receiving end, and I wouldn't hesitate to grab it for HD.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Wingmaster

Indeed. I do keep looking for one in the local shops. My favorite local shop has closed, and I've recently been reluctant for some reason to hit up the others. I need to get off my tail and go cruising, though.

Thank you for the comparison pics, too, offgrid.

How/where do you find police trade-ins? I'd be down for one of those as a winter project....

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
quote:
How/where do you find police trade-ins? I'd be down for one of those as a winter project....

^^^^^^^^

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/

Periodic shotguns Out of stock on 12 gauge police right now.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Thank you. I'll check back periodically.

God bless America.

Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Go Wingmaster

Don't know the seller, but having had a 20 gauge Express (that wasn't that bad), I do know having a 20g Wingmaster is a lot nicer.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Back around 1996 I picked up a 870 Express in 20-gauge 3" 28 inch barrel on sale for something like $199. Used it for grouse hunting for about 10 years. Mine has the small receiver so it runs a good half pound lighter perhaps a little more than my old 870 12 3" mag. In the last 10 years I picked up a 20" rifled barrel and a 18" cylinder barrel for the express 20 ga. When ever I found them at a good deal. I found out I really like the 20 gauge with the 18" cylinder barrel for a lightweight house gun.

I keep it loaded with those RIO 20 GA 2 3/4" #1 buckshot with 9 pellets at 1345 FPS it a very formidable load for a 20 gauge. Far better than the old school #3 buckshot loads running at 11xx FPS.

Its smaller scale lightweight handiness that is the attraction for me on the 870 20 gauge. So I could not see trying to find an real old wingmaster in 20 gauge that used the fullsize 12 receiver like they did way back when.

Another thing I have noticed over the years is the Express 870 series were always about cost cutting but the ones made in the 1990s were a cut above the ones made later.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jelly,

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I downsized from 12 to 20 over the last year or two and picked up 2 870 Express shotguns, used, don't remember exactly but no more than $200 for either of them.
Like Jelly, I like the smaller/lighter receiver versions.
I had one cut to 18" and am getting ready to SBS the 2nd one at 12.5".
I've also got an Ithaca Stakeout pistol grip AOW in 20 for those "close encounters".

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 367 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Wingmaster

Indeed. I do keep looking for one in the local shops. My favorite local shop has closed, and I've recently been reluctant for some reason to hit up the others. I need to get off my tail and go cruising, though.

Thank you for the comparison pics, too, offgrid.

The barrel-less 870 police trade-in found on GunBroker a few years ago. Went the barrel-less route because I wanted XS front/rear sights. Bought the barrel with XS sights here https://tacticalgunslings.com/...ton-shotgun-barrels/

20 gauge on a 12 gauge frame is about a 1/2 pound difference in weight compared to 20 gauge 870 Express. I'll take that little weight difference for the ergos of the Magpul stock. No comparison between the two in action smoothness, Wingmaster by a fair margin over the police trade in.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would look for a wingmaster if you can afford it.

Posts: 207 | Location: Baconton,GA. | Registered: April 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD DRIVER:
I would look for a wingmaster if you can afford it.

I agree. The Express is pretty darn rough these days. I bought my daughter one of the youth Wingmasters many years ago. She never ended up being a hunter, but I kept it anyway. Very neat little guns with the short barrel and reduced LOP.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post