SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    $399 BCG? Is the Surefire OBC good enough to justify the price?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$399 BCG? Is the Surefire OBC good enough to justify the price? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
https://www.surefire.com/tacti...X2lkIjogIktVVVBTRCJ9
bmRob2xtQGdtYWlsLmNvbSIsICJrbF9jb21wYW55

"Delayed unlocking. Longer stroke. Increased reliability."

It all sounds peachy. But does it do what they say?
Who has tested one?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Sweet jesus. I got a email about it skimmed and deleted. $400 for a BCG?! They done lost their mind.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8846 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I received the same email and figured it would be a $200 BCG. Then I went to the site and saw the $400 price tag.

I am not the target market for this.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got the email today as well. Delete...

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Surefire thinks they're hot shit but they need to stick to their overpriced flashlights.

You can get a Lewis Machine & Tool FA Enhanced for less money, and you're just not gonna do any better than LMT. You just need to find one in stock.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
https://vtsupply-com.3dcartsto...Semi-BCG_p_1621.html

LMT in stock there, if anyone is looking.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Not saying this doesn't have a use for some people, but those who may actually need something like this are likely not paying for it themselves (.mil/.gov/.leo).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^

Exactly! I ran my 10.5" with standard BCM auto BCG for 2-3k rounds before cleaning it including through a 2 day carbine course. No hiccups...got bored with the "not cleaning" thing and finally wiped it down since it is my HD gun as well.

I don't doubt the Surefire BCG is "better" but how would you quantify "better" and is that margin between a standard decent quality BCG and the Surefire needed for any civilian (or even .mil/LE) application?

I can quantify the price though...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have bought a quality weapon, you're not going to get enough results from the addition of it to matter. If you haven't, you won't solve your problems by putting it in. So far, I haven't seen any of the high end AR shops offering it as an option in their rifles. That tells me something.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are interesting, as they apply the Stoner/Sullivan constant recoil principle to the AR15 family. But they are not $400 interesting to me. Offer them for $250 with buffer and spring and I’m game to try one.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2317 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
After using plain old parkerized BCG's for 37 years what's the point?

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
"$2000 scopes on ARs are ridiculous, just use irons or an Aimpoint"
"Expensive match triggers are a waste, shoot more with a milspec trigger"

H&K can charge $2000 for an AR because by most accounts it seems to be worth it when it comes to reliability and durability. Of course a cheap AR is a quarter of that price but that's not a fair comparison.

If Surefire's BCG makes a noticable improvement in AR performance we will consider it a bargain.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm all for improving an AR's function. The challenge with the Surefie and LMT BCGs is providing empirical evidence that new features or new designs noticeably improve function/accuracy/longevity/reliability or whatever. And is it a 1% improvement or a 42% improvement?

DI isn't a perfect system -- there are definitely some challenges, especially for those us of who shoot suppressed.

Let's have a better DI system. But let's not advertise it as "mo betta" without some data to back up claims. Sounds too much like we've added sparkles in our laundry detergent, and now it's mo betta.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BCM, JP Enterprises, Zero Fail.... all about $250 for a full Bolt Carrier Group. All perform flawlessly. I don't see a reason to think that Surefire has some new extra special Unicorn Dust that warrants the excessive cost.

I agree with buying quality but not getting a product just cause it is more $$$.

Personally, I use the above 3 manufactures for Bolt Carrier Groups. Simple.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad Apple
of the AAP
Picture of 9mm_shooter
posted Hide Post
I have an LMT bolt carrier group in my 300 blk pistol, but to be honest, the LMT carrier alone with any good bolt is a great option too...

Just $169.00 https://lmtdefense.com/parts/l7q3a

Posts: 7793 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it would be nice in a full auto rifle, or perhaps for a 3 gun paper blaster. It’s well beyond the point of depreciating returns at 5 times the cost of a Toolcraft BCG.

Posts: 9952 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post