SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig 716 - anyone own one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 716 - anyone own one? Login/Join 
posted
Just curious if anyone owns a Sig 716 DMR. Just bought a Gen 2 that is described as used but virtually unfired at what I think is a decent price. I have a Sig 516 upper that I have been shooting a lot and really like and am a fan of Sig products in general. Plus, I do like piston guns in that they run cleaner, seem to have less blow back (I shoot lefty) and have always been very reliable for me. Am also planning on buying a couple of suppressors, so I like the idea of being able to adjust the rifle for use with a suppressor.

So if you own or have some experience with the Sig 716's I'm curious to hear your comments. Are you generally happy with the rifle? How's the reliability? How about accuracy? Getting 1-1.5 MOA would be nice since I'd like to take this rifle out to at least 600 yards.

Finally, curious how people are scoping the rifle. Right now I have a spare Bushnell 3.5 x 21 scope that I'm going to throw on it, but wondering if a smaller, lighter, scope with less magnification might make the rifle more versatile. I suppose to some extent the scope will control how I use the rifle. I do have a couple of short barreled AR's with red dots/1-4x scopes that I use for 200 yards and in, so I think this rifle will be mostly used for longer distances. But I do like to challenge myself with some positional shooting (prone, sitting, etc) where I would be dialing any scope back to 4-8x.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I have a Gen1.
It's been a couple years since I've shot it due to health problems but hope to shoot it this summer with a suppressor.
Previously I shot some 168 Sierra match hand-loads with slight sub-moa results and some old surplus Hirtenberger 147gr. it shoots around 1.25" both at 100 yards.

Mine came with a UBR stock but I had a PRS that I swapped out as well as the trigger for a 3.5 pound 2-stage ... sticks in my mind the original Geissele was a single stage 6.5 pounds, it had the Geissele smooth and crisp quality but just heavy, probably to satisfy the lawyers.

I prefer around 10x scope but when I first got it I had a Super Sniper fixed 20x sitting on the safe and mounted it in a 1 piece mount ... @ 100 its a bit much scope, its still on it but I plan to do something about that this summer, probably a Leupold 4-12x40 or 50.

I got mine in 2016, and the SiG 716DRM had just came out. I wanted the heavier barrel and threaded muzzle for my suppressor, AND I got it for a really good price on Gunbroker. It came close to the accuracy of my Knights SR-25 Match which had many many thousands of rounds through it and was still sub-moa, I didn't want to risk screwing that up by having the barrel threaded and messing with the harmonic's. Like the SR-25 Match, the 716 Gen1 is on the heavy side, 12-13 pounds out of the box. I hope to tweak my hand-loads to get closer to .5moa, but I don't expect the barrel life from it that the Knights had, but it'll be good enough for my lifetime.

I'm really looking forward to shooting it this summer and putting it up against my JP Enterprise build in 6.5 Creedmoor ... I think the Creedmoor will take it, but its nice to be sure!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
Our sniper element received one a couple months ago. Its a Gen II DMR and has a Nemo suppressor. It is still getting broke in, it currently is an MOA gun. I am hoping that it can get down to sub moa after some more rounds. It is currently shooting Federal GMM 168 Gn. It has a NF ATACR 5X25X56.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments.

Kimber, nice to hear that it shoots the Hirtenberger pretty accurately. I have at least a case of it that I bought years ago and if I can get 1.25-1.5 MOA out of it I'll be more than happy. Most recent prices I've seen on FGMM have been $1.75/rd. and I really can't afford to regularly spend that kind of money to feed a semi-auto.

Hoping the stock trigger on the Gen 2 is a little better than 6.5 pounds. If not, I'll probably swap out and put in a LaRue, which will get it down to less than 4 pounds. Can probably live with the stock, at least for a while. As for scopes, I own and like the Super Snipers - tough to beat for the price. But a 20x fixed wouldn't really work for me. I do want to do some positional shooting (prone, sitting, etc.) and I find that anything more than 6x or 8x and I'm fighting the scope.

ksss - great to hear that your Gen II has been reliable and sub MOA. Unfortunately, I pay for ammo (I assume you do not) so at current prices it's not going to get a lot of the FGMM. And a Nightforce ATACR would be a terrific scope but again a little out of my price range. The Bushnell I have now is a nice scope for the money and honestly will definitely get me out to 600 yards, which is currently the max distance I have regular access to.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
I have a Gen1 that I swapped out the stock trigger for a LaRue.

The rifle is heavy but shoots 168gr FGMM right around MOA out to 400 yards if I do my part. I have a Trijicon AccuPoint 3-9x40 on it.

It has always gone bang and is very well built.

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Houndog:
Thanks for the comments.

Kimber, nice to hear that it shoots the Hirtenberger pretty accurately. I have at least a case of it that I bought years ago and if I can get 1.25-1.5 MOA out of it I'll be more than happy. Most recent prices I've seen on FGMM have been $1.75/rd. and I really can't afford to regularly spend that kind of money to feed a semi-auto.
<snip>

When I started shooting service rifle matches a few decades ago, is when I bought my first Dillon 550, I can't imagine how much reloading has saved me. That's on top of the fact that you can tailor your load to your rifle for match-like performance at a cut-rate cost. Of course reloading isn't for everyone, some don't have time and other's don't care for the monotony ... personally I didn't find it saved me much money because I shot 2-3 times as much as I would have if I'd had to pay retail prices for loaded ammo.

posted Hide Post
leavemebe - glad to hear you've been getting good accuracy out of your Sig. The longest distance I'll be shooting on a regular basis is out to 600 and if I can get hits on a 12" plate I'll be more than happy. I have LaRue triggers in several AR's and if the stock trigger on the Sig has a pull of more than 6 pounds that will probably be my first upgrade.

Kimberkid - I know a ton of people who reload (including a good friend who was very competitive in service rifle) and for years saved brass thinking I might get into it. Had literally tubs of 5.56, .308 and 9mm. Moved about 2 years ago and ended up making a couple of guys at my old club very happy when I bequeathed them my brass. I'm retired now and have a space I could use for reloading, so I'm going to start thinking about it again, particularly since I also have a couple of bolt action rifles that are set up to shoot tiny groups at distance. Of course, now really isn't the best time to be trying to find powder, primers, etc. But I can start saving brass again.Smile

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Houndog:
<snip>
Of course, now really isn't the best time to be trying to find powder, primers, etc. But I can start saving brass again.Smile

Hopefully this will just be another of the cycle of panic’s ... I saw a case of 5000 small rifle primers on GunBroker, starting price was $170, it doesn’t seem that long ago that they were a penny apiece, ($50/case) but I guess I’m getting old too Frown

posted Hide Post
Quick update. Rifle was delivered to my local FFL today- so a really nice X-mas present I'm giving myself. Went in to do the paperwork and had them take it out of the box so I could just take a quick look.

Bought it from Recoil Gunworks, where I've previously bought a police trade in Glock. The Glock looked to be unfired and probably could have passed as NIB. The Sig, which was described as CPO and in excellent condition was the same. I only gave it a cursory inspection, but no dings or marks on the gun or rail that I could discern. Shell deflector looked like maybe a couple of rounds had hit it, but that's about it. Dry fired it and the two stage trigger was very good.

Am looking forward to picking it up sometime next week and hopefully will be able to get to the range soon after that. If the gun shoots as good as it looks I'm going to be pretty happy.

On ammo/reloading situation, I agree. This too shall pass. Have been shooting long enough to have been through a couple of these cycles. Can remember when I could buy 100 round value packs of 9mm ammo at Walmart for $8-9. And it wasn't that long ago that Wolf Gold or xm193 was .29 per round, if you bought in bulk. Not sure if we'll ever see those prices again, but the days of 9mm costing $1 per round will come to an end. In the meantime I was smart enough to stock up on a bunch of 9mm, 5.56 and .308 and can probably hold out for a year if I have to/

posted Hide Post
I had the Patrol. I got it a hair before the DMR was announced. It was a backup to my primary sniper FN rifle. At 1-200 yards it shot better than my SPRa1. It was very heavy but shot well. I put a Geissele SSA/E and a Nightforce and only shot 168 FGMM through it. Great shooter.

Only reason I got rid of it was that I retired and didn't really need it anymore. Actually I found something that I really liked and my wife made me trade one of my guns in.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post