SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    shotgun question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

shotgun question Login/Join 
posted
If Noveski and L.M.T are some of the best in the semi auto rifle world and then
Les Baer and Ed Brown are much better than average in the pistol world

Where do people look too for semi auto shot guns ,when they are ready to step up?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
For tactical only:

Benelli
Beretta
FN
Remington
Mossberg

In that order from top down.

For hunting/clays - I'll leave that for others.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Unlike the higher-end custom rifles and pistols like you referenced, there aren't small shops out there making high-end custom semiauto tactical shotguns from the ground up.

Instead, what we have are gunsmith shops like Vang Comp, Taran Tactical, and Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech, who take factory semiauto shotguns from big manufacturers like Remington and Benelli and customize/improve them.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DansSIGs:
K.I.S.S.

Remington 870

870s aren't semiauto.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and thats why his post went to " the D.H. " thread

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Benelli Ethos & Beretta A400 Xcel Multitarget come to mind. These are $3K semi auto scatter-guns.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Benelli M1 Super 90 has been totally bombproof for years now, it is way more capable than it's operator (me).

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benelli.
Or an 870. The older the better.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
If Noveski and L.M.T are some of the best in the semi auto rifle world and then
Les Baer and Ed Brown are much better than average in the pistol world

Where do people look too for semi auto shot guns ,when they are ready to step up?

Beretta and Benelli are the most popular semi autos, in general, in the clays games, which are the most focused on longevity and reliability. A lot of others make great guns, too. Browning used to be the #1 but the other 2 B's have surpassed them in popularity.

Waterfowlers are the others who demand reliability in adverse conditions and again, Benelli, Beretta, and Browning are the top 3.

Each maker has several lines of gun at different price points. There are some really fancy Beretta and Benelli shotguns with carbon fiber, etc.

Semi-auto shotguns do not demand the same level of attention that accurizing a rifle or pistol do. The pressures are much lower and the mechanism does not have to be as robust. 11,000 psi for a 12 ga, 50-60,000 for a .308 for instance. So the performance at price point does not swing as widely. It is just not that hard to make a reliable shotgun.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Attesting to my own limited experience with semi-autos I own,
the Benelli M2 and the Beretta 1301 I 'stepped up' to have given excellent performance and reliability.

My older Remington 11-87 did for years but maybe just needs some professional service and consumable parts replacement.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Beretta 1301 seems to have unseated the Benellis for the top spot in tactical shotguns in some circles.

For the shooting spots the Benellis and Berettas are great, I have browning thats good on the domestic side the Remington 1100s and 11-87s and their descendants have had good performance in the past.

Posts: 4590 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Unlike the higher-end custom rifles and pistols like you referenced, there aren't small shops out there making high-end custom semiauto tactical shotguns from the ground up.

Instead, what we have are gunsmith shops like Vang Comp, Taran Tactical, and Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech, who take factory semiauto shotguns from big manufacturers like Remington and Benelli and customize/improve them.

I'll shill for Langdon Tactical and say that I've owned a Benelli M1 (ghost sights), two Remington 1100s, a Vang Comp 870, and a FN SLP Mk 1 and I'd have traded them all for the LTT 1301 that I've got (though I would have wanted some cash, but not as much as you'd think). My LTT 1301 is THE shit. Maybe there are some $3000 Benelli shotguns out there that are "better" but for $2300 (including Holosun, sling and light), my LTT is the one light in this dark time.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Benelli, SBEIII, Ethos, M2, etc. They have a lot of models.
Beretta A300, A350, or A400
Browning A5 or Maxus
Remington Versa Max V3

The above are hunting or sporting models. For tactical:

Benelli M2 or M4
Beretta 1301
FNH SLP (Browning Gold)
Remington Versa Max Tactical or Tactical Competition

I prefer Browning and its speed loader feature to any other brand. I have both Brownings, Benellis. and a Remington. Benelli got everyone started with the modern short recoil (inertia) system. Browning claims they have an updated inertia system. Beretta is gas piston only but well regarded. The V3 is actually a very good system if Remington's QC is on. It's a gas piston too.

You need to see which one fits you best and meets your budget. There really isn't a bad gun in the bunch it's really personal choice.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benelli

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benelli
Franchi
Remington

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You have a couple gunsmiths/companies who will dude up "tactical" shotguns and more gunsmiths/companies who with modify guns to "race guns" but I don't think there's anyone "building" custom semi auto & pump shotguns similar to what you're asking. Roth Performance makes their own Benelli M2 pattern receiver that they build on, off the top of my head that would be the only thing compatible. (and I've no idea if it's any better, but it's not it's not just polishing and painting someone else gun)

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
You're probably referring to new shotguns.

I'm a huge fan of older well kept Remington 1100's.

Dang near bulletproof, just keep a couple extra O-rings on hand and you're good to go.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Remington V3
Fabarm
Beretta 400”s
Benelli

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because I am bored out of my goard, I went a Googling

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/standard/
https://www.vangcomp.com/
http://www.performancearms.com/
and
this guy gets good revue's on a half a dozen firearms forums
https://aiptactical.com/

but his website leaves a lot to be desired

Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Many great factory options have been mentioned, never tried a boutique version.

Versamax
1100/11-87
FN SLP
Beretta 1301
Benelli-M3 in my case

They are all great, some just require a bit more attention to keep running well.

If anyone’s looking for a 1301 Locked & Loaded has them for a decent price, 799.99+shipping, no affiliation. I think the 1301 is my favorite, the lightest by far and recoil still isn’t too bad.

Never had work done by aiptactical but if you need a Remington shotgun part he is the guy, hands down.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post