SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Wheeler Fat Wrench on Amazon...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wheeler Fat Wrench on Amazon... Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:
I used to work at a nuclear power house. They were very particular about torque wrenches. I have wondered about the Wheeler Fat Wrench. Could you point me to better wrench for not much more money? Thank you.

Not sure about the “for not much more money” part (I know quite a few gunsmiths that use the Fat Wrench daily)...but this seems like one option if I had the bucks and patience of Job...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/yShgD3TejBw

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Stanley-Proto 6-36 in-lb torque limiting screwdriver. It's a professional tool and I got it from Grainger for a lot more than a FAT wrench. Craftsman has some mid-priced options last I checked, so you might look into them.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used my Fat Wrench more times than I can count. I am sure it is not dead nuts accurate but for what it is for it has never failed me.

Posts: 145 | Location: Chandler, Arizona | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Wiha TorqueVario-S 2852

https://www.jbtools.com/wiha-2...4EAQYASABEgJjcvD_BwE

This is a german manufactured tool. Much higher quality than the Fat Wrench, for a LITTLE more money.

This is what I have, used it several times so far, couldn't be happier. I chose this model for gunsmith/scope work and did tons of research including the Fat Wrench, before settling on this. You can tell it's quality just by picking it up, let alone using it. I highly recommend it.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Thanx for posting...options Smile Cool Cool Cool

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Thanx for posting Cool Cool Cool

One more thing: mine goes from 10 to 50 inch lbs. Verify this before you hit the buy button, since I THINK the copy for the URL I posted above says 5 - 10 in lbs, which I belive is a misprint, but do your due diligence before purchasing.

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
This is a very rare occaision where I can mention an obscure tool that others will appreciate. I have a Tohnichi adjustable limiting torque screwdriver similar to the Stanley-Proto model that Lefty Sig has.

https://www.tohnichi.com/produ...-screwdriver-LTD.htm

Best of all is that I got it for the price of a Wheeler Fatty.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Hot damn that's nice. I wouldn't need that xtra feature, but for those that do, the quality looks obvious.

posted Hide Post
Amazon deal is back as the OP stated.

Posts: 8 | Location: Tennessee (east) | Registered: December 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Love mine

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I don't know how long the deal lasts, but Wheeler currently has their FAT Wrench w/ bit set for $35.99.

https://www.wheelertools.com/g.../553556.html#start=1

If you want something a little fancier, they have their electronic Digital FAT Wrench for $47.99.

https://www.wheelertools.com/g.../710909.html#start=1

If you use promo code "BENCH20" when you check out, you'll get an additional 20% off, which means you can get a FAT Wrench for $28.79 shipped!

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Wheeler Fat Wrench not for super precision work, but it helps keep me for getting crazy and damaging things and gives me some measure of knowing I'm adjusting action screws to roughly the same torque each time.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting that they changed the ergonomics of the tool. I've had my pre-"Coke Bottle" one for years now and it's performed seamlessly every time, even with my small mitts.

Not particularly excited over a digital version; just more unnecessary complexity to go south on you.

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads-up iron chef!

I missed out last year. Just placed my order.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to question what is the specific torque range most useful for mounting a scope.

The reason I ask is because on NEW S&W revolvers it can take nearly ever bit of power I can deliver with a screwdriver to remove the sideplate screws. BTW, I have actually tested to determine how much torque I can produce with hand tools and with a screwdriver that is 20 ft.lbs. or 240 inch lbs. With a standard 3/8 ratchet 35 ft.lbs is my limit with one hand. Point is that with many firearms screws can be tightened far in excess of these screwdrivers.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post