SIGforum
Aimpoint T-1 Issue UPDATE

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/5720037364

November 29, 2019, 05:03 PM
MikeGLI
Aimpoint T-1 Issue UPDATE
Took the SBR out to stretch its legs this morning and noticed the only two settings that functioned were 11 and 12, the two brightest settings. On the way to range, I stopped by CVS to pick up a replacement battery, figuring this was the issue. Popped the new battery in and same deal, the two bright settings are the only functioning.

I guess I'll call Aimpoint on Monday to see what's what. Anyone experienced such an issue?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeGLI,

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.
November 29, 2019, 08:04 PM
swage
I have the T-2. Never an issue. I did call Aimpoint when I purchased my T-2. I purchased the unit without a mount. Bought the mount separately. Neither came with screws. OpticsPlanet wanted $8.00 per screw. I called Aimpoint and they mailed me out more than I needed. Great customer service and a human being actually answers the telephone.
November 30, 2019, 02:59 AM
bubbatime
I broke an Aimpoint Pro by dropping it. I mailed it to them, and they fixed it no questions asked. Good service.

November 30, 2019, 08:32 AM
jljones
Let us know what they do. Curious......

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

November 30, 2019, 09:38 AM
gibby29
A fellow member and I were out shooting his DD pistol and his T1 dial did not click nearly as positively as mine. It spun almost freely. I’m sure Aimpoint will make it right.
November 30, 2019, 03:51 PM
MikeGLI
I'll be sure to check back in once I speak with them.

NRA Life Member
December 02, 2019, 05:12 PM
MikeGLI
Communicated with Aimpoint today and they issued RMA. I'll drop this off tomorrow and follow up with their findings.

NRA Life Member
December 02, 2019, 07:49 PM
DaBigBR
If the Micros have a weak point, it's the rheostat. I have seen a couple of them get wonky. Usually from being overtightened with the battery cover.
December 02, 2019, 08:50 PM
Modern Day Savage
The closest I've come to having a problem with one of my Aimpoints was a battery contact that didn't extend to fully contact a battery terminal which caused the unit to fail to power up, but was easily fixed by me...and a Duracell battery supplied with one Aimpoint that leaked, but luckily my practice is to remove batts from electronics not in use and so the battery never leaked inside the unit...otherwise, nary a problem.

One forum member who regularly trains and participates in shooting activities and would most likely be considered a "high volume" shooter, reported several years ago about various failures he experienced with several of his Aimpoints, including at least one of his micros.

In one case he said that the Aimpoint engineers got involved and were puzzled by the number of failures he experienced across different models and units...but he also reported their excellent customer service in addressing each of the issues, and the extents they went to get either repaired or new units back into his hands.
December 20, 2019, 05:01 PM
MikeGLI
T-1 went out the beginning of the month, I checked in with them yesterday to see if they had a typical turn around time. They responded that the optic was in sweden being repaired and that I'd have it back in a few weeks.

I'm interested to hear what the diagnosis is if they offer one.

Will update once I hear more.

NRA Life Member
December 20, 2019, 06:29 PM
Chimper
Good luck. An H-1 repair took 7 weeks.
December 20, 2019, 06:31 PM
Strambo
How long have you had it? LEDs eventually burn out...

I've had an H2 always on since sometime in 2008-ish.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page
December 20, 2019, 06:54 PM
MikeGLI
Bought this one in 2012/2013

NRA Life Member
December 20, 2019, 10:27 PM
hrcjon
quote:
How long have you had it? LEDs eventually burn out...

Really? in these? What sort of data might you have on that? I've aimpoints from the mid 1990's that still run fine. I'm not disputing that LED's have a life, but I don't think its an issue in this application. Even modestly priced LED's are in the 50K range which given the use of an optic had to be several decades plus area.
Anyway interested in anything to back that up for optics.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
December 21, 2019, 09:31 AM
copaup
Well, there’s 8760 hours in a year. You’d hit that 50k hours in 5.7 years if the Aimpoint was left on, which most are. LED life expectancies are also under ideal conditions. I’d fully expect one exposed to frequent shock (like recoil) and occasional rough handling to fail sooner.

All things fail eventually. Everyone makes a lemon occasionally. They’ll fix it. They might not be particularly quick about it, but they’ll fix it. Aimpoint makes a remarkably durable product and charges accordingly.
December 21, 2019, 02:06 PM
RHINOWSO
Everything can break.

EVERYTHING.

Even Aimpoint, KAC, Glock, March, Colt, NightForce, S&B.

Have a spare, get it fixed, and carry on.
December 21, 2019, 03:49 PM
hrcjon
I was never suggesting the LED in an aimpoint might have a 50K hour life. That's absurd. Most quality LEDs are in the 500K range and I would guess probably more than that for the aimpoint one. But to the original post about a burned out LED I have never heard someone suggest that the reason an aimpoint might be dead is an LED that burned out strictly from age. Never once. So if you have seen or heard it I'm interested in the details.

December 22, 2019, 10:22 AM
cas
Either way, it's a consumable, like all things electronic. Be it 5 years or 25 years. Which is why I never understood leaving them on 24/7 for no real reason.

December 22, 2019, 03:47 PM
mew
^^^^me either....

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke
December 22, 2019, 07:05 PM
hrcjon
for something you are going to grab and then shoot its a benefit that aimpoint has such long battery life in that condition.
For stuffing it in your safe then perhaps you should turn it down.
just my strategy.