SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    ACOG Failure - You don't need BUIS they said. Your modern optic is all you need these days they said. WELL THEY WERE WRONG. :)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ACOG Failure - You don't need BUIS they said. Your modern optic is all you need these days they said. WELL THEY WERE WRONG. :) Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
My title is a little tongue in cheek but I thought I would relate my story. I have a mini 3x ACOG that I have had for like 6 years or so. Recently I noticed an odd glare and what seemed to be a change in the eye relief. To be fair the optic was still functional but something was wrong.

Now let me just say that I don't run my gear hard. My horses never get rode hard or put up wet so to speak. Basically I take care of my stuff and with the variety I have nothing ever sees a huge amount of use.

So I call Trijicon and they immediately get me a RA number and off the sight went. They fairly quickly sent me an email that the sight had been received and inspected/replaced or repaired as needed and that I would get a shipping notice when it was on the way back.

Now Trijicon states that if you do not need expedited turn around then it is likely a 4 week turnaround and military and law enforcement users will take precedent. I have no issues with this but after waiting a little more then a week without a tracking number I called just to make sure it wasn't lost to the void.

I spoke with a really nice lady who immediately had my info up and informed me that it was part of a shipping backlog and that they were still within the 4 week turn around but would be happy to go get it and pack it up and send it out right away. I told her that wasn't necessary as I just wanted to make sure it hadn't fallen through the cracks. She then asked if I wanted to know what was done. I said yes.

Apparently some of the UV coating was flaking off so they replaced the prism, the fiber optics, the tritium / lamp assembly and reset the warranty on all of it. I cannot ask for more then that.

Anyway the moral of the story is yes Virginia even the best bits of kit can go down and having a backup probably makes sense even today.

Second always be aware that a lot of the cost associated with good kit is for times like this when with no muss no fuss they basically rebuilt and re-lamped my scope and were pleasant and professional the whole time.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Anything can break.

I had to send back an Accupower and it mirrored your exp, except they just replaced the scope. Not much communication after getting the RMA / shipping info, then it just showed up.

Vortex was better, a little more communication back and forth plus a T-shirt with the new scope.

But yes, if it's a serious weapon, have it set up to not become an area fire weapon if the primary aiming system goes down. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was this mounted on a 30 caliber gun?

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Kudos to them on the great service. Nice to get a fully rebuilt unit back.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Nope, A2 carry handle mount 5.56 rifle.

Very happy with the service.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
There was some ruined in the military that had been mounted on .30 caliber guns.

My nephew had one. It patterned like a punt gun.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great story and thank you for posting.

I along with another officer was tasked with researching and talking with manufacturers to get the best overall patrol rifle package for the Officers.

This Dept has been reborn with new equipment, Officers, a Chief etc.. Well in the armory they had 9 Sig 551's.

Long story longer, After doing the research and wheeling and dealing the Chief takes over orders Rock River Arms M4 with Eotechs, and when they arrive they don't have BUIS/

I have fought him over this and he states what the title of this thread is labeled.

I am a die hard iron sights person even though my 300 meters shots aren't as good as they used to be.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post