SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Now that there's not a panic ... Yet
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now that there's not a panic ... Yet Login/Join 
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I keep 5k in reserve of 9 and 556, I'll shoot anything over that. 5k is enough to keep me going for 2 years at minimum shooting(200 rounds a month). I also keep enough bullets/primers/powder on hand to reload 2500 so I could theoretically stratch to 3 years if need be. Havent had to go more than 6 months before so I figure my numbers are ok.

Prices are still cheap enough that Im jsut buying instead of reloading so my compnents stockpile is also growing.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
As in all things, it depends...

I own the following calibers:

Rifle
.223/5.56
.25 Gibbs
7.62x54R
.300 Win Mag
7.7 Japanese
8mm Mauser
.35 Remington

Pistol

.38 spc.
.357 Mag
9mm
.44 Mag
.45 acp

Shotgun

16 ga.
12 ga.

I have picked up over 3k of .22 lr, because I could not buy any during the drought.

I also have about 3.5k 5.56, 2k 9mm, 1.5k .40, 1k .45 and 800 or so .308.

For the other stuff, and for which I don't have semi auto guns, I have much lower amounts. I've got about 80 rounds of .35 Rem, 60 rounds of .270, 50 rounds of 16 ga, 200 rounds of 12 ga., 25 or so 7.7 Japanese and only one (1) round of .25 Gibbs.

I do have dies for everything except 16 ga. and .308, however and will pick up a set of those eventually.

I have mountains of brass, but am short of powder and primers.

So I don't really have the stock in hand that I want, but I have enough to shoot for a good long time if needed, and I can shoot pretty much everything I have.

While prices are low, I continue to add to the stock, and should start buying primers and powder to be ready for the next price shock. Some stuff never really goes on sale though. The best price I have found for .35 Rem is about $22/20 rounds plus shipping. .300 Win Mag also hovers around $1.00 to $1.25 per round for even the cheapest plinking stuff. (To the extent that ever shooting anything with a .300 is "plinking".)

All in, though I feel pretty good about things for at least the next three years.

So, anyone got a line on some .25 Gibbs?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Damn I'm an amateur compared to you guys. I try to keep 500 JHP and 1,000 FMJ around for each caliber. I've achieved that goal with 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .357 SIG. I have over 2,000 of .223 FMJ. I'm sorely lacking 7.62x39 and 45LC. I don't have much of .380 on hand, either, just a few hundred rounds.

Artie,

you sure love those hard to find calibers. Big Grin

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have peanuts. I make sure I don’t go below 5k rounds in any caliber. I try to keep 7500 of each. 500 JHP and 7k FMJ.

I don’t have many calibers so it’s easier to stock up.

22LR
9mm
45acp
357sig
300blk
6.5 Grendel

I will start 12 gauge as soon I get around to picking up my shotgun from my ffl.

My kids eat up the 22 and 9mm so I should start reloading in bulk. Right now I just handload 9mm to get the right formula to cycle my suppressed guns.

My FD has it in their dispatch system that I have ammo in case of fire.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If you speak in terms of 'hundreds' of a particular round, you don't have enough.

If you aren't familiar with cases of ammo as a minimum unit of order, you don't have enough.

If you know exactly how much you have, you don't have enough.

For stocking deep, I simplify to 17HMR, 22LR, 9MM, 5.56x45, and 308. I have other calibers (38/357, 380, and 45), but I don't spend a ton of time / money laying those back, as I don't shoot them enough and if a shortage hit, they'd just get laid up anyway.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
If you speak in terms of 'hundreds' of a particular round, you don't have enough.

If you aren't familiar with cases of ammo as a minimum unit of order, you don't have enough.

For stocking deep, I simplify to 17HMR, 22LR, 9MM, 5.56x45, and 308. I have other calibers (38/357, 380, and 45), but I don't spend a ton of time / money laying those back, as I don't shoot them enough and if a shortage hit, they'd just get laid up anyway.

"enough" for what? Roll Eyes

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

I think, Mr. Jacket, you're missing the point of buying and storing ammunition. The old saying is "buy it cheap, stack it deep."

Ammunition, when stored properly, will last a loooong time. And the point of having a decent supply, is that you are prepared for a variety of unforeseen possible events. Just the same, needing it but not having it is something to be avoided.

Rhino is correct. If you're realistic about firearms and shooting them, you buy by the case, and have plenty on hand. It is also, simply, cheaper to buy in bulk. It's cheapest to reload, which is something I intend to start to do.

You can never have too much ammunition. I'm limited by the space I have in which to store it.

If anyone is still buying ammo buy the 20 to 50 round box, that's OK chaps, but save up and find a spot for cases, because in the long term you spend less per bullet.

I'd also recommend investing in ammo cans, and storing it loose. I do this and I can fit lots more ammo in less space.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

Enough to shoot without a care in the world when another ammunition shortage hits.

Enough to shoot at cheaper prices for the foreseeable future.

Or, neckbeard around Wally world, burning gas money and time trying to find boolets. Complain about how you haven't seen <insert cartridge> for a "fair price" in years. Or wonder why people can't / won't "share what they have" when you are caught with your pants down and on your last magazine of FMJs when the next drought hits.

Me, I'll be shooting, laughing and having a good time, regardless of what you do or if the term "enough" is a trigger word. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12k 22lr and very close to being completely out of 9mm, .357 and .223. I have a hard time keeping much centerfire ammo. I shoot it about as fast as I buy it.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Enough to shoot without a care in the world when another ammunition shortage hits.

Enough to shoot at cheaper prices for the foreseeable future.

Or, neckbeard around Wally world, burning gas money and time trying to find boolets. Complain about how you haven't seen <insert cartridge> for a "fair price" in years. Or wonder why people can't / won't "share what they have" when you are caught with your pants down and on your last magazine of FMJs when the next drought hits.

Me, I'll be shooting, laughing and having a good time, regardless of what you do or if the term "enough" is a trigger word. Wink

I guess I don't have enough either ... by your standard of "Enough to shoot without a care in the world when another ammunition shortage hits."
When the last shortage hit I could have gotten through it without buying anything but I didn't know that in advance so I would still buy a a case when it was reasonable for the time. Because we didn't know how long the drought would last I did shoot less 223, 9 & 45 but I shot more 22 ... I still had several cases of 223, 7.62x39 & 51 and plenty of components to load another 15K rounds so I didn't have enough to shoot without a care in the world, but I was better prepared than most of my friends.

quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
The best price I have found for .35 Rem is about $22/20 rounds plus shipping. .300 Win Mag also hovers around $1.00 to $1.25 per round for even the cheapest plinking stuff. (To the extent that ever shooting anything with a .300 is "plinking".)
.25 Gibbs?

It seems these would be good ones to reload for ... for the cost of a couple boxes of ammo you could pay for dies ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems these would be good ones to reload for ... for the cost of a couple boxes of ammo you could pay for dies ...

They are, and I have the dies. It's much cheaper, even with $.35 bullets to load for these.

[thread drift]The problem with the .25 Gibbs, is I am utterly failing at my efforts to fireform the brass, and Quality Cartridge hasn't made any .25 Gibbs brass in at least three years.[/drift]

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
perfect... sounds like I have enough for me and you have enough for you.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

I'd also recommend investing in ammo cans, and storing it loose. I do this and I can fit lots more ammo in less space.

+1

But be warned an ammo can with 2K 9mm's is rather heavy.

cc

Posts: 5298 | Location: S.E. NC | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
perfect... sounds like I have enough for me and you have enough for you.

Man, why did you come in with a rolleyes, and then this cop out?

Perhaps just stay out of discussions, if you have nothing to actually contribute.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccmdfd:
quote:

+1

cc

They are. I ladle out into smaller containers when it's range time.

Arc.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
RHINOWSO - I think there are a lot of new shooters due to the recent Panic(s) that they ran out and bought a gun and some ... maybe as much as a ammo can full of assorted ammo's

Maybe they are new shooters or they aren't regular shooters. Most of the people that I know here at work that ran out at given panic and bought a couple hundred rounds ... still have most of that ammo. They think they will always be able to go to Walmart or the next gun show and spend $100 on ammo and they are satisfied. They also don't understand why the AR they bought was $2000 and now its worth $300 now that the AR market has gotten into such a glut ... not everyone is like you, I and a few others, we understand these swings in economy and panic.

These are the one's we'll hear crying the next time there isn't any 22 on the shelves of Walmart for 2+ years, and/or the ammo that is available is 500% more than what it was 3 months ago.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

+1

cc

So, I should go and empty all those perfectly aligned boxes and just dump the bullets into the can?

Also, new cans (with, hopefully good seals), so is it okay to store those cans in the garage?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
quote:
quote:
quote:

+1

cc

So, I should go and empty all those perfectly aligned boxes and just dump the bullets into the can?

Also, new cans (with, hopefully good seals), so is it okay to store those cans in the garage?

Personal opinion here:

If you are happy with what you have, then I wouldn't change anything.

Arc was just pointing out that for those who are concerned with purchasing large lots of ammo due to storage space needed; you can store a whole lot if placed loose in a can in a small area of space.

If you plan on keeping a can in the garage, make sure it has good seals and I would also place a desiccant pack in with it, and remember to change routinely.

cc

Posts: 5298 | Location: S.E. NC | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
quote:
quote:
quote:

+1

You can put the boxes inside cans if you prefer to, but it'll be a lot bulkier than just dumping the rounds in the cans sans boxes. For range ammo there's no need to worry about the rounds damaging each other. Match or (maybe) hunting ammo, you might want to leave it in the original boxes or in the plastic ones found in reloading departments.

As for storing it in the garage, humidity is a bigger problem than temperature, especially if you keep the ammo in cardboard boxes. If the paper gets damp it can cause corrosion of brass and copper, and if the cartridges aren't well sealed (bullet and primer), can cause degradation of the powder. Desiccant is a Good Thing, but only really works if your ammo cans have good seals.

I keep most of my ammo, particularly the stuff that's not in ammo cans, inside the house. Some of my ammo cans, including desiccant, are stored in the (dry & relatively cool) crawlspace.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I've been a busy hand loader and have accumulated a comfortable inventory of various calibers. Now I'm assembling components stock. I've got 7 AR-15s alone to feed, not to mention several 9 millies, 45s, 10 millies, etc. I was taken unprepared during the first great panic of 08. Not going to let that happen again.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post