SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Now that there's not a panic ... Yet
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now that there's not a panic ... Yet Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted
How much ammo are you keeping on hand?

I know we always have new shooters coming of age or deciding to dip their toe in the water, do you share your "knowledge"? Do they listen?

Have you learned anything from the last couple panic's we've had? Care to share?

I for one thing, know I need to get back to reloading and quit shooting up my stocks of factory ammo ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I try to have a minimum of 500, but preferably at least 1000 rounds of everything I regularly shoot or have multiple guns in that caliber.

Posts: 2480 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Well over 28,000 rounds to cover 23 calibers.
With the components and dies to reload for several thousand more rounds.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
One bullet. In my shirt pocket.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I've got 5000 rounds of 5.56..and trust me...that's not enough

but it will be enough for a good firefight

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
1. I don't have any exact count of my ammo stockpile. I'd say at least 20,000 rounds easily, in a dozen calibers combined:
12 gauge
.22 LR
9mm Luger
.45 ACP
.30 Carbine
.223/5.56
7.62x39
.30-06
7.62x54R
8mm Mauser

2. I do share my knowledge. I'm a firearms instructor, both for my agency as well as the local police academy. I also teach friends and family who want to learn.

3. I learned from the first panic back in 2008 not to expect to be able to walk into Wal-Mart and buy ammo anytime I wanted to go shoot. Hence, answer #1. Big Grin Prior to that, I rarely had more than a few hundred rounds on hand, and just stopped by the store for a couple cheap bulk packs anytime I wanted to go shoot. No more.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
With us poor saps in Kalifornia no longer ordering ammo online, the rest of you have a lot less "competition". Frown

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
10k + of 556.....counting 22lr...somewhere north of 30k

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I'm down to 6 types now....

.22 LR
9 mm
.45 ACP
.38 sp
12 ga

about 5,000 total between all.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10909 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've got a few thousand of most every caliber I shoot ... Except 22LR, during the last panic I went from 2 cases (10K) to about 3500 rounds and I've built that back up to a couple cases again only it's a better mix ... Several K of mini-mags and other good quality non-bulk 22LR along with a few K of subsonic and several 550-boxes of bulk, which I plan on picking up more of those just for plinking with the grandkids.

I've got lots of reloadable brass, 8-10K of 9mm, 45acp & 223 ... Plenty of powder but I'm shy on primers.

I think the one thing that keeps me from building up 10K of everything is ... We'll probably be moving in the next couple years

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+/- 35k rounds. Getting low. Time to re-stock.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
10,000 223/5.56

8,000 9mm practice

2,000 9mm Gold dot

1000 308 Sierra match king

2000 308 NATO

30,000 22lr

100 Assorted shotgun ammo

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Never less than 2k of any caliber I own.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to think first in terms of how long a panic might last and then translate that into amount. I believe a 5 year supply will allow you to shoot until a panic is over. The amount people shoot in a year will naturally vary, but annual consumption x 5 is my formula for a real sense of security. But annual consumption x 3 or even 2 might be adequate for most panics.

davemercer

Posts: 936 | Location: NE USA | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Still working off the Hillary stash.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
The order I received last week put me back to 20K.
I'd burned thru a few thousand and needed to replace them.
I've decided to add 500rds a month to the stockpile so I can shoot as much as time allows and still put some away.

Actually need to add a couple thousand rds of 300blk now that I think of it.
Not to mention adding more match grade 223 & 6.5 Grendel.

It never ends.
Pistol ammo seems to be very cheap these days.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Probably around 25k loaded rounds of various calibers.
Maybe half that in reloadable components.
Though my shooting is WAY down in past years.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My rule of thumb for minimum purchases is twice what you regularly shoot (centerfire).

Shooting 500rds a month? Buy 1K of the same caliber. That way you are always increasing and if you have to not buy for a couple months, you never really decrease of where you started.

For rimfire, buy 5K cases several times a year when you spot deals. Cheaper than neckbearding Wally World all year.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Plenty of pellets but maybe I better get the SCUBA tank refilled.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO competitors should have a minimum of one season of ammo on hand, plus any other consumable components that are expected to be used during the season. Ammo shortages during some administrations make it more prudent to have two years of ammo on hand.

But be wary of.....

I no longer have ammo in my possession.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post