SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Vortex Venom elevation/wind age not working?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vortex Venom elevation/wind age not working? Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the long term cost is time and ammo.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
I’m done with vortex.

I’m curious what your experiences have been.

There’s an adage that we only hear about the bad things on the Internet, but that’s obviously not true. There are some brands, for example, that it’s almost sacrilege to criticize because they get a following for some reason and all the talk is about how wonderful they are.* When the question arises, either they are perfect, or if the occasional complaint is heard, “They’ll fix it for you, no questions asked.” The latter is fine, but getting something fixed isn’t always convenient, and doesn’t do us any good in the middle of a firefight, a hunt, or a competition three hours from home.

* And then there are the brands that have “antifans,” people who are looking for any excuse to criticize them, but that’s a different matter.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
I feel like I've seen mostly good posts about Vortex. Interested in your experience as well. The guy I just bought a shotgun from said he had problems with a couple Vortex scoped not holding zero and falling off. I'm hoping that the minimal recoil of my Ruger PCC will help keep this Venom in good shape.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2433 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Hangout on the hunting forums if you want to see a large sample size of Vortex owners. Or Vortex haters as it seems. The general consensus seems to be that you'll end up using the warranty. Just like anything else, the guys who typically have "never had an issue" are guys that hunt or shoot a couple of times a year. Iv only owned one Vortex red ot that came in on a traded rifle and it failed. They replaced quick enough and I sold the new one. Ther low to midrange scopes never really impressed me so I skipped on their scopes all together as once you get to their high end scopes there are better option in the price range. I think Vortex has a place and a market for certain things and people and I don't fall into either one. The Vortex market isnt the die hard hunters and shooters on the forums. Thats why you find a lot of critical posts about them on forums where the members are more in tune with guns/optics vs the casual hunter or shooter.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
It’s unfortunate how we have to be “taken care of” to be a successful or to demonstrate how successful a company can be from their inconsistent quality. I’m done with them also.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Wonder if maybe I should just sell it and grab a tube style, which I prefer anyway. Again, I got this as a throw in on a trade and thought hey might as well try it. Wouldn't care giving it a try, but might be easiest just to sell it and buy what I want.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2433 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSauerP226:
Interesting. Wonder if maybe I should just sell it and grab a tube style, which I prefer anyway. Again, I got this as a throw in on a trade and thought hey might as well try it. Wouldn't care giving it a try, but might be easiest just to sell it and buy what I want.

A budget optic is a budget optic. Same for a quality optic. The name doesnt really matter for the most part. Either your particular rifle needs a quality optic on it or it doesnt. I wouldn't let the name deter you. Ive got plenty of guns with budget optics on them. I just happen to prefer different brands of budget optics as they usually meet my needs slightly better than the Vortex offerings or come in cheaper.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of trying the Romeo 5 before I got this Venom. Now thinking sell the Venom and get the Romeo 5. I would think even in budget optics, there are some that are better than others, but honestly I'm pretty new to red dots. I have an Aimpoint PRO for my AR and I like that, but figure I can get a solid red dot for my PCC that's a little cheaper. It won't see any adverse conditions or anything crazy.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I have a few Romeo Romeo 4's that have been perfectly reliable. My new favorite is Holson 507. About the size of an RMR with an Eotech style reticle. I havent had much time with these to say how they will hold up int he long run but I have one that's on a 20g that been eating a steady diet of Turkey loads. I lean towards minimalist red dots anymore withe the Aimpoint T1 being about the biggest I own now.

King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
The 507c looks pretty interesting, guess I need to start doing some homework on various models and maybe spend a little more to avoid a headache.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
I’m done with vortex.

I’m curious what your experiences have been.

There’s an adage that we only hear about the bad things on the Internet, but that’s obviously not true. There are some brands, for example, that it’s almost sacrilege to criticize because they get a following for some reason and all the talk is about how wonderful they are.* When the question arises, either they are perfect, or if the occasional complaint is heard, “They’ll fix it for you, no questions asked.” The latter is fine, but getting something fixed isn’t always convenient, and doesn’t do us any good in the middle of a firefight, a hunt, or a competition three hours from home.

* And then there are the brands that have “antifans,” people who are looking for any excuse to criticize them, but that’s a different matter.

Their razor line is pretty solid, I liked the razor HD LH scopes I used but I had a viper stop tracking and wouldn’t let me zero it, of course vortex replaced it but I was without a scope for awhile, I had a diamondback with a parallax issue and I had a viper spotting scope get water inside of it and become useless during a hunt.

I think their top level (razor and above) are quality but they lost my trust so I’m done with them. I still have a pair of viper HD 10x42 Binos which are actually ok but I’m not confident in them.

To be fair, there’s a lot of leupold hate out there as well but I’ve never had an issue with the dozen or so leupolds I’ve had. Anyways now days I like nicer leupolds, swarovskis, meoptas and Zeiss, I put fat too much time into hunting and often I’m solo so no backup rifle so I need to have dependable stuff.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
This^^^^^^^^

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Decided to buy a SIG Romeo 5 for $115. Still have the Venom for now, but if this Romeo 5 is good, I'll ditch the Venom and pocket a little bit of extra $. Figure if I keep it NIB I can get maybe close to $200 for it. I like the Romeo 5 has a crazy battery life and the shake awake deal seems interesting.

It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I had a Vortex Venom slide mounted on a Walther PPQ 9mm. After a couple of months it started turning off and back on with every cycle of the slide. So I sent it in and replaced it with a Burris Fast Fire 2 I had sitting around. So far the FF2 has survived a couple of months already. Not that I have a high opinion of the FF2, as I've had to send a couple of those back. General opinion of the guys I shoot with is that Vortex will take care of you, which they did, but way too many of their red dots need that CS.

I had one of their better scopes and wasn't impressed. The eye box wasn't as forgiving as a Nikon I have and the image was hazy at higher magnification.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Ya seems there are too many people needing Vortex CS. I sold it and grabbed a Romeo 5. Had the Romeo out today and it worked great. Very happy with it and sold the Venom for almost double what I bought the Romeo for, so I happy with the trade off.