SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Galil Fans - State Of Magazine Availability?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Galil Fans - State Of Magazine Availability? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
So I'm still cooking over the idea of a .22 caliber Galil (second AR kit just came in from Apex). The first kit is unquestionably going to be built as a 7.62x39. The second kit may wind up being either a 5.56 (with a barrel twist closer to 1:9 rather than 1:12) or a 5.45.

I'm confident enough in the future supply of 5.45 to not worry about being able to feed the beast, especially since I'm already keeping a couple of other rifles fed that are chambered for that cartridge. The original chambering, though, was for the 5.56. I would've simply gone that route from the get-go if I could be certain of buying mags that would last.

So. What's actually available out there in terms of Galil 5.56 mags, and am I better off sticking with the 5.45? I can find beat to snot old mags, "refurbed" mags of uncertain provenance, and what are apparently Bulgarian civilian mags. The problems with them are twofold for me - I have no idea about quality or longevity for any of those options and and IWI is apparently not making any more mags or even springs.

TAPCO may or may not be the worst option but...do I really want to rely on TAPCO?

All guidance appreciated.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
Original Galil 5.56 mags shouldn't be hard to find, there's a lot of them out there.

On the other hand I've never heard of Galils being offered as a factory 5.45 so if parts logistics is your primary concern I'd stick with 5.56...

I'm also not entirely sure if you can build them in 7.62x39 unless you're using specialty receivers/barrels like those from Black and Lewis.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have to go through Black and Lewis anyway, I think, since TennGalil/Hillbilly Arms seems like the best way to go for the build. The logistical angle to going with a 5.45 is that I have a supply of relatively new magazines. The potential worry with going with Galil 5.56 magazines is that the ones available may or may not be in good shape or (as is the case with the "Bulgarian new" versions) may or may not work well. That's why I was asking about the 5.56 magazines.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Will TennGalil build on a CNC Warrior receiver or just his own?

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Other people on the internutz have said that they've had him build on a CNC receiver, but I haven't contacted him yet. I figured I'd wait until I had a clearer idea of what I wanted to do, if only to avoid wasting his time on the phone.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Yeah...I have my parts kit and receiver should ship Monday. I ordered five mags in my kit

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're readily available in South Africa. The Galil is still standard army/ police issue and was made under licence. The civilian market also takes a lot. The steel mags are very robust and last pretty much forever.

Nobelteq have them in stock.
http://shop.nobleteq.com/index...=70_72&product_id=51

I'm not certain about export restrictions but it may be worth contacting them.

Posts: 101 | Location: Jhb, South Africa | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I might. That's a little over $29 US.

Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
So I'm still cooking over the idea of a .22 caliber Galil (second AR kit just came in from Apex). The first kit is unquestionably going to be built as a 7.62x39. The second kit may wind up being either a 5.56 (with a barrel twist closer to 1:9 rather than 1:12) or a 5.45.

I'm confident enough in the future supply of 5.45 to not worry about being able to feed the beast, especially since I'm already keeping a couple of other rifles fed that are chambered for that cartridge. The original chambering, though, was for the 5.56. I would've simply gone that route from the get-go if I could be certain of buying mags that would last.

So. What's actually available out there in terms of Galil 5.56 mags, and am I better off sticking with the 5.45? I can find beat to snot old mags, "refurbed" mags of uncertain provenance, and what are apparently Bulgarian civilian mags. The problems with them are twofold for me - I have no idea about quality or longevity for any of those options and and IWI is apparently not making any more mags or even springs.

TAPCO may or may not be the worst option but...do I really want to rely on TAPCO?

All guidance appreciated.

Did they or do they make a 5.45 Galil? Never seen a 5.45 Galil mag. Truck loads of 5.56 though.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
No, although they have at least notionally offered the Tavor and (I think) the ACE in 5.45 (I don't know that any were produced). For me the attraction of the 5.45 is that I've got stinkloads of Bulgarian magazines and I tend to keep a fair supply of ammo in the joy locker - thus my question as to whether there are 5.56 Galil mags out there that I can count on to last for a while. I know I can get new or relatively new AK74 mags and springs for them.