SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Who amongst us have patterned our shotguns with buckshot?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who amongst us have patterned our shotguns with buckshot? Login/Join 
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
I have but have not recently. Given current events. Need to refresh. I have two 870's that have been to Vang Comp and two Benelli M1's I need to redo. Federal LE Buck with the shot cup for all guns. The 11-87 I have gets Hornady TAP Buck. it also has been to Vang Comp.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Ten yards. The two holes on the top and left of center are slugs and the large hole below center is three rounds of Federal LE low recoil flight control. Fired from my Mossberg Shockwave with the birds head grip. I’ve since got the tax stamp and put a real stock on the gun.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Yeah and I threw the flight control bullshit in the garbage because of it. I WANT spread at home defense distances, not all the shot still in the shot cup entering the bad guy like a slug.

Regular shot gives you fist size groups or smaller at home defense ranges. Flight control gives you slug size groups.

Three is not a realistic 25 yard shot at my home where the flight control would be beneficial.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The flight control is doing what it is supposed to do. Keep shot closer together, longer.

Probably not what you want inside a house, but at the same time pattern your regular buckshot without it. Its not remotely as far apart as one might think and nowhere close to the 'just aim in the general vicinity'.

https://www.theboxotruth.com/t...0-buckshot-patterns/

https://www.shootersforum.com/...kshot-vs-slug.49476/

Some examples from the second link. Granted, it can depend on the load / weapon, but you aren't getting a huge spread regardless.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I like the flight control. I think I’d rather the shot stay together even for HD, but I use a rifle for that purpose anyway so it’s a non issue to me.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
For predator hunting, mostly coyotes, my favorite was/is Remington ‘HD’ ‘T’ size shot. It’s like ‘Hevi-Shot’, but round, heavier than lead. It has great penetration on coyotes.

Since I was interested in longer ranges, I used a .680 choke out of a Benelli M2. So yes, I patterned at 45 yards.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
Did my Vang Comp 870 after I ran a qual one of my officers last September, 25 yard headshots I continue to be impressed with this shotgun

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
870 12 gauge 18.5 Imp. Home defense.

Federal Personal Defense #4 pattern the largest at about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" per yard from 2-7yds.

I truly don't get the concept of chasing a tight group or the Vang Comp mod for a home defense shotgun. Doesn't that defeat some of the advantage of a shotgun for home defense?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Generally speaking, I find my light modieifed chokes pattern the best.

3.5" 00 buck and Light Mod from my longer SBE was putting 5 to 7 pellets on a paper plate consistently at 56 yards. (for coyote hunting)

The best thing about 3.5" 00 buck is they always seem to be in stock. Wonder why? Big Grin

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Vote yes but not recent. Federal flight control is the tightest.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I have never patterned a shotgun in the traditional formal sense per se, but when familiarizing new officers with duty shotguns, I have them fire buckshot at 7 and 15 yards so they know how the shot spreads at those distances. There are many myths and misunderstandings about how buckshot behaves. Some people believe a single shot will clear an entire room and that no aiming is necessary.

I also point out the holes the wads make and their erratic flight that could pose a danger to hostages or bystanders.

Wads typically have the aerodynamics of a parachute and are also quite light, especially the plastic wads. At 10 or 15 feet they can tear a hole in paper but that is about the most they can do. So I would not be very concerned about a wad causing harm to a hostage or bystander. What you need to be concerned about is the shot string, that is one very serious cluster of Lethal moving at something north of 1200 fps. I'll also note that at 30 feet or less it doesn't matter if you are shooting 00 Buck or #9 Bird shot both will be in a tight cluster and both will be quite lethal.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have, but not recently. I've done it on both indoor and out door ranges. I highly recommend it. My personal recommendation is to pattern at 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 yards. Use a common aiming point and mark the spread at each distance. You'll wind up with a series of circles that will demonstrate the progressive spread of the rounds. You'll also be able to spot any consistent flyers. YMMV. Also, doing it out doors is more comfortable IMHO.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
None of the above.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
Not recently but I used the Federal 00 buck with the Flight Control in a 18 inch 870 and FN SLP. I had results similar to everyone else. At 25 yards the spread was about the size of a volleyball. I think it would devastating in an actual shooting.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did under for trap, skeet and upland bird hunting. Good friends father, basically insisted I do it if I expected to be consistent at matches. Since he was in the top 5 globally for about 50yrs on the live pidgeon circuit I didn’t question. Yes it made a world of difference

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A better question to ask might be "who's taken a training class with their shotgun?"

From some of the comments in this thread, I'd imagine very few.

Posts: 1698 | Location: USA | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
How 'bout who's given one?

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Thought this post by Mrgunsgear was relevant. I can't figure out how to embed it, sorry. It's an instagram post of police officer vs. bad guy with buckshot.

video from instagram

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post