SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Who amongst us have patterned our shotguns with buckshot?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who amongst us have patterned our shotguns with buckshot? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
I've been meaning to do this for a loooong time.

Other range day projects seem to have taken priority.

If you have, tell about your results and recommendations, please.

Question:
Have you patterned yours with buckshot intended for hunting, competition and/or self defense?

Choices:
Yes, and fairly recently.
No, I've been meaning to get around to it for some time now
No, I won't be using a shotgun for hunting or self defense.
No, but I have patterned it with claytarget/bird hunting loads.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
does 20 years ago count?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yes, but you need to define "fairly recently".

However it's not my first, second, or tenth choice for SD.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When all this crap in Minn. started I patterned my truck shotty (870) and my FN SLP with several flavors of shot to see the best way to load the tubes. I ended up with a nice selection of shells/patterns for near to far. From go away to toe tag time.

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course I don't have pics to produce, but as part of both my job as an LE firearms instructor and hobby as a shotgun enthusiast, I have patterned many of them. This would include a couple personal 870s (Mar Mag and Police), a 930 SPX, 590A1, Benelli M4, Beretta 1301, Winchester 1200, dozens of work 870s (18.5 inch Expresses - yuck, and now 14" SBS). Primarily beads (work guns), but also ghost rings and red dots.

For consistency and ease of ammo access in a pinch, I am using the same low recoil, nine pellet, Federal Flite Control buckshot at work and home. Pump and semi. 18.5 and 14 inch barrels. I find that with basically every gun, it's going to keep all nine pellets in a 12-15" circle, worst case, out to about 25-30 yards. Plenty workable for a person. On the best guns it might be useful to 40.

The best performance has been out of my Beretta 1301, which stays fist sized out to 20 yards or so. I have a Winchester 1200 that is probably the worst performer, getting large than torso sized around 20-25.

We have found through the roughly two dozen 14" 870 Ps we have with modified choke barrels (factory) that we get a "known flyer" in most guns past 15 yards. It's not a major issue as it is generally within a proportionate distance of the pattern as a whole, but it does happen. This is apparently common on the nine pellet load, so we will likely consider trying the eight pellet version when we get closer to exhausting our stock of nine pellet.

My general procedure is to use a couple clean targets, flipped over to provide a blank sheet, and place 4-6 pasters in a grid. One shell fired per paster, maybe two or three total per distance depending on performance. Measure from there. Replace targets as necessary and don't be stingy.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Yes, when I had my duty shotgun and my own. Don't own any shotguns at this time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've patterned my 870(IC choke) with Federal Tactical Buckshot. Pretty nice coverage from about 7-15 yards. Inside that was a slug, beyond had more than half the pellets off the silhouette target.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Like some, couldn't vote. Yes, I've patterned shotguns. No, it wasn't recently.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have patterned a couple "home defense" guns in the past out of curiosity.
I have patterned two for competition.
And two for hunting. One of those recently, to test max distance with 3.5" 00 buck.

Generally speaking, I find my light modieifed chokes pattern the best. FWIW they tend to shoot slugs decent as well, and Light Mod has become my all around go to.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have never patterned a shotgun in the traditional formal sense per se, but when familiarizing new officers with duty shotguns, I have them fire buckshot at 7 and 15 yards so they know how the shot spreads at those distances. There are many myths and misunderstandings about how buckshot behaves. Some people believe a single shot will clear an entire room and that no aiming is necessary.

I also point out the holes the wads make and their erratic flight that could pose a danger to hostages or bystanders.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Yup, I switched to a mossberg 12ga for home defense since we moved into a neighborhood. I used to use a AR15 but I don’t want a bullet to go thru an intruder and maybe hit a neighbor...

I went with #4 Buck after patterning at house distance (10-12 yards) I have slugs for longer than social distances....

I like the high likelihood that one round of buckshot will end said fight.

Also patterned 00buck, but was getting one flyer with all the ammo I tried. (12 pellet)

I didn’t get any Federal reduced Recoil OOBUCK like we used when I was a cop. No one local had it in stock.

ETA: 12ga Mossberg Maverick 18 1/2” cylinder barrel

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a CZ 712 Utility and patterned it at various distances with Federal Tactical Reduced Recoil OOB.
0ut to 20 yards, no pattern larger than about 4 inches.
22 inch barrel on the 712.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Yup, I switched to a mossberg 12ga for home defense since we moved into a neighborhood. I used to use a AR15 but I don’t want a bullet to go thru an intruder and maybe hit a neighbor...

I went with #4 Buck after patterning at house distance (10-12 yards) I have slugs for longer than social distances....

I like the high likelihood that one round of buckshot will end said fight.

Also patterned 00buck, but was getting one flyer with all the ammo I tried. (12 pellet)

I didn’t get any Federal reduced Recoil OOBUCK like we used when I was a cop. No one local had it in stock.

ETA: 12ga Mossberg Maverick 18 1/2” cylinder barrel

#4 Buck my favorite. I have double aught but in 2 3/4 shells as have read 3 inch yields uneven patterning. Got some federal reduced recoil OO buck loads from ammo to go several years ago. They used to have speciality 12 gauge not sure about now.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I voted 'Yes', but it hasn't been recently.

It's the same load that I patterned, so I doubt much has changed since it's been in my M4.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
Just a few rounds from last week, 10-15 yrds, 870 18.5 IC. Federal LE 133 00 flight control. Group measures 4+ inches.
This was with my raptor grip on my 870 and I must say it was stouter than I expected or I'm getting too old for this kid stuff. Almost too tight for home defense unless you have a large home.

IMG_20200615_210615829 [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/146780422@N05/][/url]

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
It's been several years and I don't have the targets anymore, but Federal LE 13200 gave patterns maybe 3" across where normal 00 buck was covering the entire torso of an IPSC target. Distance was about 15 yards IIRC, out of my 18" cylinder bore 870. The similar 20ga load (3 or 4 buck) did about the same more recently from my Shockwave.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
It's been several years and I don't have the targets anymore, but Federal LE 13200 gave patterns maybe 3" across where normal 00 buck was covering the entire torso of an IPSC target. Distance was about 15 yards IIRC, out of my 18" cylinder bore 870. The similar 20ga load (3 or 4 buck) did about the same more recently from my Shockwave.

I got identical results but I used Federal flight control. I decided to use slugs instead.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One more "yes" but not recently.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I put a cardboard box with a paper target with paster circle at about 15 yards. From the bench or braced on the vehicle - fire 1 round of the ammo being tested.

Repeat for each round you wish to test. I write on the target which round was used.

Then I go buy case lots of what works.

Same for slugs, but 25 yards - and you can use a single target for multiple rounds by just identifying each POI with a Sharpie.

I don't consider a shotgun to be effective at distances beyond 25 yards with liability attached to each pellet. Under 25 yards, there is nothing better. Beyond 25 yards - it's rifle time.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greyeyezz:
Just a few rounds from last week, 10-15 yrds, 870 18.5 IC. Federal LE 133 00 flight control. Group measures 4+ inches.
This was with my raptor grip on my 870 and I must say it was stouter than I expected or I'm getting too old for this kid stuff. Almost too tight for home defense unless you have a large home.

IMG_20200615_210615829 [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/146780422@N05/][/url]

I've gotten similar results with the Fed Flitecontrol 00, I have the following:
7yds- 1 hole
15yds- 1 slightly larger hole
25yds- 8" spread
35yds- 12" spread
40yds- 16"-20" spread

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post