SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Practical levelness tolerance for muzzle brakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Practical levelness tolerance for muzzle brakes Login/Join 
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted
The installation of a muzzle brake on my .243 went less than smoothly for several reasons but the end result was the muzzle brake is not exactly parallel (I was using a torpedo level so exactly is being used loosely in my case) with the top of the receiver. I’m not overly concerned as I anticipate a suppressor hanging off of the end a majority of the time but the question did pop into my head as to just how far a muzzle brake can be from perfectly flat/level before it causes notable issues.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Sako recommends that the TRG-22 muzzle brake be rotated slightly off center to help with recoil control. I am not completely sure of the reason why, but I assume it has to do with rifling twist. This is how I install mine, but I admit I have no idea whether it helps. It has no detrimental effect that I can detect.

How far off is yours rotated? Can you post a photo?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CEShooter:
...just how far a muzzle brake can be from perfectly flat/level before it causes notable issues.

Regardless of a brake's rotational orientation, it will reduce recoil with the level of efficacy for which it was designed. If the brake's gas ports are only pointed 180 degrees from each other, there will be no up/down/left/right forces on the barrel. However, if the brake has other ports, these normally serve as a comp -- which should be pointed straight up, to impart a downward force on the barrel.

If the brake is oriented so that a port faces downward, additional dust will be blown up by the gas. This can be disconcerting to the shooter, but it really shouldn't affect the shot -- if the shooter is applying the fundamentals of marksmanship.

I have some brakes and comps with are not aligned to the sides -- 3 and 9 o'clock. They are suppressor attachments. On rare occasions, I've shot these rifles with the can. There is no difference is Point of Impact for the shots, other than that which occurs from the weight of a can on the end of the barrel.

"Proper orientation" of muzzle devices seems to be recent issue on this site. For shooters with good technique, port orientation means little.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I assume... hope you mean clocking?

On semi auto raceguns it's not unheard of to make them not-level on purpose. You tune it to shoot flat, where the ports point be damned.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't matter.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no clue what we are talking about and how one might be using a torpedo level to do something involving the threading of a device on a muzzle? Clocking might be an issue of course but I can't imagine level.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Perhaps not everyone is familiar with them, but some muzzle brakes, such as the Thunder Beast version, direct the muzzle gas left and right and have flats on the top and bottom. If one wanted that brake installed so that the top flat was exactly perpendicular to the vertical line of the bore if for no other reason than aesthetics, it could be accomplished by leveling the top of the rifle receiver with a level and then timing* the muzzle brake so that the flat was also level. I have installed my TBAC brakes by eye, but understand how a level might be useful.

It would still be interesting to see the muzzle brake referenced in the first post.

*(Or is “clocking” the word I want?)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Part of the problem is everyone is picturing something different in their head. lol

For a bolt gun, I think you'd REALLY have to get things askew to notice anything.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Part of the problem is everyone is picturing something different in their head.

No! Does that really happen‽ Eek

Well, hardly; not more than 95% of discussions about techniques and equipment. Wink

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
The installation of a muzzle brake on my .243 went less than smoothly for several reasons but the end result was the muzzle brake is not exactly parallel (I was using a torpedo level so exactly is being used loosely in my case) with the top of the receiver. I’m not overly concerned as I anticipate a suppressor hanging off of the end a majority of the time but the question did pop into my head as to just how far a muzzle brake can be from perfectly flat/level before it causes notable issues.

Some people intentionally clock them because a right handed shooter will generally naturally push the rifle to the right a bit under recoil.

So they may clock their muzzle brake at 1:00, but that depends on the design of the muzzle brake and whether or not it generates any downforce.

Shoot it offhand, very slowly and deliberately, at a target, and see if the muzzle pushes in a direction that you don't like.

If you plan to have a can on it most of the time, I probably wouldn't even worry about it.

I carefully time my competition rifles. Suppressor mounts I barely worry about.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I assume... hope you mean clocking?

On semi auto raceguns it's not unheard of to make them not-level on purpose. You tune it to shoot flat, where the ports point be damned.

This.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
https://imgur.com/a/BsFoXJF

Here is the mount that got the question going in my head.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CEShooter,

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here is the mount that got the question going in my head.

That won't be a problem.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: IndianaBoy,

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I agree that that degree of offset would have no noticeable effect on anything.

I just found a factory reference for the TRG muzzle brake inclination I referenced, and according to it, to eliminate sideways movement of the rifle when firing, the factory muzzle brake can be inclined 45°. That of course is far more than what I have tried, and much more than your angle.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I just found a factory reference for the TRG muzzle brake inclination I referenced, and according to it, to eliminate sideways movement of the rifle when firing, the factory muzzle brake can be inclined 45°. That of course is far more than what I have tried, and much more than your angle.

Wow, I never would have thought that there would be that much leeway in what angle it could be installed at. I wish I could have a little bit of that time back that I spent trying to get the brake aligned "just so".

---------------