SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Shotgun for 13 y.o. starting trap shooting. Recomendation?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun for 13 y.o. starting trap shooting. Recomendation? Login/Join 
posted
My grandson turns 13 this week. He would like to start trap shooting and we are wanting to get him a shotgun for his birthday. I have never done it, so I have no idea what to buy.

His Mom (my daughter) would also like to learn. She has been invited to a couple of trap shooting hospital fundraisers, and would like to participate sometime.

Grandson is 4' 11" and 100 lbs. His Mom is about 5' 3". I would like to get something that will work for both of them. I assume we should start out with a 410 or 20 ga? Single shot? Other considerations? Thanks.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I was that age when I tried out a Remington 1100 12g. I hit 23 of 25, IIRC.

He can grow into it.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was once told to wait until a kid could handle at least a 20 gauge before starting them on shotguns. A 410 is an extremely short range weapon. The theory was that it's so hard to make decent hits with a 410 that there a danger that the kid will get frustrated and lose interest.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Is there a budget in mind? Maybe a chance it would be used for hunting down the road?

Any youngster that can handle a 410, can use a 20 ga. As a seasoned adult, I still use a 20 ga often.

Must it be new, as in for a present, or is used O.K.? Some of those dedicated ‘youth’ guns aren’t the best, have atrocious triggers. That includes the Mossberg youth.

I would keep the barrel at 24-26” for ease of handling. Nice semi-autos would include Browning and Benelli, but the price is up there.

Nothing wrong with a pump, more straightforward mechanics for new shooters too. There are plenty of great choices in the slightly used market too.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Another vote for 20 gauge pump gun as a starter. Lighter, less recoil, and with all the same features. Would help keep them from developing bad habits like flinching and trigger jerking and be lighter and more handy.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15575 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
How about that Caesar Guerini 20 ga. you've always wanted, just in case he doesn't take to it?

Seriously, I'd look for a 20 ga. Remington 1100, or even an older Remington Model 11, which is Remington's version of the Browning Auto 5, but which doesn't command the Auto 5 prices. I have a 12 ga. version from 1926, and it is one of my favorite shotguns. Easy recoil, smooth operation, great balance and nice sight picture.

For a pump gun, I'd go with a Benelli Nova. I have an 870, and a friend has the Nova. There is simply no comparison.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Beretta 390, 20 ga.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trap is a Single Shot shotgun sport, so no need for a semi or over/under. Also no need for a dedicated Trap gun when starting out. Because a true Trap gun can run into the really high dollars.

However Trap can be a rather long range shooting sport so there is a need to choose a shotgun and caliber that can break a clay as far as 50 yards out. This will rule out the 410 and 28 gage because at 50 yards you will have a lot of "holes" in the pattern. In addition the smaller gages REALLY demand accuracy even if you are fast enough to catch a clay as it's leaving the "house".

End result is the ONLY calibers you should be looking at is a 20 gage. Due to the need to only have one in the chamber for leads to considering a pump action because it is quite easy to charge the chamber by hand loading thru the ejection port. Note, the same may not be true with a semi because on some the bolt release can be rather stiff. In addition on a voice acting Trap Range releasing the bolt can trigger a release. Note, been there done that with a semi and now use a pump action.

So, what to look for. Ideally if you can find one a 20 gage Remington Wingmaster with a 30 inch barrel would be ideal. Odds are the Length of Pull will be too long but stocks for the Remington 870 series are easy to find and easy to swap. A big plus for the longer barrel length is it means a longer sight plain. However it's not essential and any 28 inch Field Barrel will do nicely for trap. However I would advise you look for an older 870 or Wingmaster because the current production 870's have gained a reputation for Ejection issues.

Another Pump Action worth considering is a Browning BPS. Advantage for the BPS is that due to the bottom eject it's a 100% ambidextrous shotgun. While it is more expensive than an 870 it does have a wonderful sighting plain and IMO a slightly better trigger than the 870.

Note, I have an shoot both an 870 and BPS in 12 gage at the trap range andboth allow me to get good hits, However I prefer the Browning because it's just slightly easier to get hits with the Browning. Downside to the Browning is that it's a face slapper unless I use a Beretta Gel cheek rest.

I would advise looking at both and asking for a test drive before making a final decision. Because Stock contour can be critical to how well a shotgun "fit's" and you don't know if you have a good "fit" until you actually shoot the gun.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used is fine. Would like to stay under $500-600. Apparently trap shooting is a very big deal in high school here. They have a couple of national championships in the past few years. I talked to a very knowledgeable young man at a store here and he recommended a Mossberg Bantam 500, 20 ga pump for $320. Said that was his 1st gun and a lot of kids here start with that and then move up. Trigger didn't seem too bad but I am no expert. Apparently a lot of kids shooting trap in school starting in 7th grade, so I should be able to find something used as these kids trade up.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I just bought my 11yo a used Remington 1100 LT-20 for him to start trap for $450. It is exactly what you’re looking for. Get one built on the small frame.

Many kids are getting semiauto 12ga youth models for trap simply to give them a larger payload with less recoil. The recoil of a 12ga 1100 is about equal to a pump 20ga.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is so much versatility with a 12 with super light loads available that in the heavier 12 ga guns will recoil probably less than a 20. Increasing power loads as kid ages and grows. Since trap is a single shot sport shooting a light load in a semi that doesn’t even cycle the action fully is no big deal. Stock fit is critical with almost all shotguns coming with too long a stock even for most adults. A youth length stock is essential

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
My dad started me at trap at age 12 or 13 one thing I really struggled with his full size shotguns at that age in trap. Length of pull was always way to long and I learned to hate 30" plus barrels and still do. These days I bird hunt with 26" barrels and still shoot trap with them. These days many shotgun makers have youth shotguns that have around a 12 3/4" length of pull I would have your grandson look at some of these.

Trap ranges around here only allow one shell in the shotgun at a time so break open shotguns work as good as anything.

You could look at the Stevens 301 single shot compact.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can find a used Benelli Montifelpro 20ga youth length model your son would be happy happy...
This is one soft shooting shotgun...Bought my son one when he was 12 for dove hunting and after he shot it for 5 years my wife took over it and she has been shooting it for the last 12 years and we have had ZERO issues with this wonderful shotgun.....Just my 2 cents worth...Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trap is a Single Shot shotgun sport

Perhaps for some, but I have shot doubles many times through life. Besides, he may wish to move over to the skeet range once in a while.

I recommend a 12 ga because that's what the competition will be shooting.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I just bought my 11yo a used Remington 1100 LT-20 for him to start trap for $450. It is exactly what you’re looking for. Get one built on the small frame.

Many kids are getting semiauto 12ga youth models for trap simply to give them a larger payload with less recoil. The recoil of a 12ga 1100 is about equal to a pump 20ga.

THIS, you want a semi-auto because the recoil is A LOT less than pump or O/U. The Remington 1100 20 gauge youth is a great gun for trap, if it's a bigger 13 year old (I was 6'3 and 200 lbs at 13) go with a 12 gauge/28 inch barrel 1100 or even 1187 and can use reduced recoil loads. The gun has to fit him so his size is going to determine youth or adult stock. There are some big 13 year old boys these days.

TRAP is not a single shot sport always. I've shot doubles and also shot wobble, both you can take 2 shots.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
go semi auto, I started out with a super x model one many moons ago when I was that age I still have it. I would get the trap version you can still hunt with it. my current is a beretta 303 but they don't make them anymore I believe they are the 390 now.. if the gun is a little big he will quickly grow into it. Go with 12 gauge, if he shoots doubles or sporting clays semi is a big plus. dont waste you time on a pump. another consideration is to go talk to the regulars who shoot trap all the time at the club.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My daughter tried a 410 break open and hated it. I gave her a 12 gauge Benelli Nova with a mercury recoil reducer in the buttstock and she loved it. The 410 is not suitable.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
.410 is only suitable for shooting rats in a corncrib, killing skunks inside the city limit, or showing off when you get REALLY good at busting clays. It has no business in the hands of a novice.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post