SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How to fix a loose sight dovetail

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
How to fix a loose sight dovetail Login/Join 
Picture of billnchristy
posted
We took our mossberg 930 blackwater to the range the other day and when I pulled it out the front sight had removed itself. It will just slide in/out either direction.

What is the preferred way to fix this?

My thoughts were either epoxy or staking the sight front and back to peen the mount over a bit, but that would obviously be a little ugly.

Either method would keep adjustments from being possible but it is a shotgun.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe you can drill a small hole and install a set screw to avoid any permanent solutions? Or weld more material to the sight and file to shape?

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
If it were mine I would stake it with a small center punch.
Will not take much of a tap to destorte the holder of the sight.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Drift it out to the right, (muzzle facing away from you).

Use an automatic center punch to dimple (do several in a square pattern with one punch in center of square) on the bottom of the dovetail in barrel. Don't go crazy, just raise some ridges. All the dimples are hidden below the bottom of front sight.

Drift sight back in from the right, should be snug fit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/s...enter-punch-621.html

Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
I would remove the blade and use a punch to dimple the underside of the base of the blade and then reinstall. Same concept, raise some steel but on the replaceable part.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Report This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ceptor781:
I would remove the blade and use a punch to dimple the underside of the base of the blade and then reinstall. Same concept, raise some steel but on the replaceable part.

I think is the best solution. I had to do the same once on a Colt Double Eagle. You could even put a little locktite on as well.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Dimple the bottom of the sight base, as ceptor781 said.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Get some shim stock assortment. Cut and hone edges with a roughing stone so they are free of burrs and check fit under base of sight. The idea here is a slight press fit. Most of the time you can correct the issue with .001 .002 or .003 shim stock.

Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Dimple the cheapest part or shim it with a piece of rust-proof material. Aluminum cut from a beverage can works well. Aluminum is softer than steel so it reduces the risk of scratching your gun.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Report This Post