SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help me pick a scope: 14.5" PreadtOBR 7.62
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me pick a scope: 14.5" PreadtOBR 7.62 Login/Join 
Picture of Amurr
posted
Hey Everyone,

I just picked up a 14.5" 7.62 Larue PredatOBR.

Also have a surefire SOCOM supressor on order to go with it:

Primary purposes will be:
1) Short/medium range hunting rifle
2) Main battle rifle think Recce+

To give you an idea i run a APC9 for HD but this will be my do all rifle anytime I stepped out of my house.

Would probably like a 1X on the low side but would consider a 2.5x10 maybe.

Things i am considering:
-Vortex Razor III 1x10
-Nightforce NXS 1-8
-Trijicon 1-8 offerings
-what else?

My priorities are probably as follows in order:
1) Durability
2) Weight
3) Performance 100-600 yards
4) Performance @ 1X

Thanks

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I always thought the 2.5-10 Nightforce would be well suited for that role.

Posts: 9955 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amurr:
Hey Everyone,

I just picked up a 14.5" 7.62 Larue PredatOBR.

Also have a surefire SOCOM supressor on order to go with it:

Primary purposes will be:
1) Short/medium range hunting rifle
2) Main battle rifle think Recce+

To give you an idea i run a APC9 for HD but this will be my do all rifle anytime I stepped out of my house.

Would probably like a 1X on the low side but would consider a 2.5x10 maybe.

Things i am considering:
-Vortex Razor III 1x10
-Nightforce NXS 1-8
-Trijicon 1-8 offerings
-what else?

My priorities are probably as follows in order:
1) Durability
2) Weight
3) Performance 100-600 yards
4) Performance @ 1X

Thanks

What's your budget?

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I would get a Vortex Razor 1-10 if you need 1x, its only downside is weight. If you don't need 1x like Voshterkoff said Nightforce 2.5-10 would be nice and would save weight.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NF ATACR 1-8 is king of the hill in the current 1-x for a 762 general purpose rifle IMO. It’s not perfect, nothing is. My only real gripe is that I wish it had a euro type diopter. I’ve shot mine effectively from 10yds to 970yds. It’s fantastic.

The nx8 is an awesome optic too, with a nod to the mil capped version. The eyebox gets tight at 8x, but it’s very useable. Multiple friends have them on 5.56 and 762 gas guns. I like the nx8 a lot and will likely add one to one of my 5.56 rifles.

The vortex 1-10 seems nice on paper. A friend has one on a 762 gas gun. I need to spend some time behind it to form an opinion. My friend also has the ATACR 1-8, has had multiple S&B 1-8 short dots, and prefers the ATACR.

Another friend has the S&B dual focal plane 1-8 short dot. It’s a ridiculous optic, but really pricey, has a big footprint, and the reticle is just okay. Additionally, it requires battery power to use the reticle on 1x. Whereas one of the great attributes of the 1-8 ATACR and the nx8 is that their reticle are very useable on 1x without illumination. I like that.

The kahles k16i is another awesome optic. It’s on the longer side, but lightweight. The glass is a-F’ing-mazing. The reticle is useable on 1x without illumination, but is less well suited to wind holds than the ATACR 1-8. That said, Kentucky wind age is easy out to 600 and I’ve shot my k16i out to 600 with ease.

Ymmv.

Skip the trijicon 1-8. The illumination sucks. The glass is mediocre compared to the vortex 1-6, ATACR 1-8, and nx8. And the reticle is mediocre.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2317 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run a SCAR17 in a similar role. I think the NF 1-8 is the second coming of the great all around gun optic. Short light and usable. at 1x decent dot (not aimpoint perfect but fully usable), easily use 8 x to the ranges I would consider OK for defense (that's not 600). And I have found it durable in lots of nasty stuff. But I have never run the alternatives so can't do a comparison. But no hesitation saying the NF is pretty satisfactory. I used to run a NF 2.5-10 and there is no chance that's a better option. none. The ATACR is way better but more money, and more mass, but at least look at it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
I feel like the answer is the NXS.

I know the ATACR is the best all around but it is hard to justify nearly 1k and 50% additional cost when the alternative is the NXS and the use case is probably not that frequent.

the NXS is next level slim for the 14.5" and not as bulky as the vortex. it's the kate moss???? Big Grin

Thanks,

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amurr:
I feel like the answer is the NXS.

I know the ATACR is the best all around but it is hard to justify nearly 1k and 50% additional cost when the alternative is the NXS and the use case is probably not that frequent.

the NXS is next level slim for the 14.5" and not as bulky as the vortex. it's the kate moss???? Big Grin

Thanks,

I guess the question is: The NXS leans closer to light weight and 1X. Is an "average" shooter" going to lose to much distance capabilities in the "mid range" with the NXS to want "more scope"

I think given the capabilities requirements and skills mentioned above:
-14.5" Barrel
-Average Shooter
-Mid range requirement

..The 1x8 even with some long range sacrifice vs the competition you make with the NXS will more than suffice.....your still buying a Cadillac.

Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
NXS 1x8 vs oldschool 2.5x10 X24....Smaller version.

????

posted Hide Post
You really need to look through the potential scope options. It's your eye that matters, it's your preference that matters.

You should consider:
- First focal plane (FFP) or Second focal plane (SFP) for the reticle
- Will you use the reticle for holdovers? If so, are you willing to learn the elevation hold overs/unders for distances other than your zero? Or do you want a factory-designed holdover reticle with estimated elevation holds for ballpark target distances?
- Will you dial elevation, when shooting at distances other than your zero?
- Do you have a preference for mil vs. MOA, assuming you will dial elevation or using reticle with mil or MOA hash marks?

Sorry, but I laugh when people get hung up on scope weights, when the scopes are in the same weight class:
- 21.5 ounces -- Vortex 1-10x Razor
- 21.0 ounces -- NF 1-8x ATACR
- 17.0 ounces -- NF 1-8x NX8
- 20.5 ounces -- NF 2.5-10x42 NXS -- the other versions of the 2.5-10x aren't in the same league. Not even close.
These are not a NF 7-35x ATACR, weighing in at a pudgy 40 ounces.
I've carried heavy competition rifles for miles. A few ounces here and there is insignificant. It's more important that the scope's magnification, controls, and reticle works for you.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a chance to look through the new March 1-10X24 with Dual Reticle a few weeks ago and I was impressed with it. I don't know much about these LPVOs, but that one seemed to me to be the emperor of LPVOs.

It's a 1-10 zoom. It has both an SFP and an FFP reticle. It is 8.4 inches long and weighs 17 ounces. It focuses from 10 yards to infinity and the illuminated dot is visible in daylight.

The reticle design is very interesting and it looks almost magical when you zoom in and out.

You can view the details here.
https://marchscopes.com/news/5780/

I should be getting my hands on another one shortly and will have time to review it more. Look for upcoming details in my stickied thread here.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
This is great feedback. Thank you sir. I will put some thought into these and get back to you.

quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
You really need to look through the potential scope options. It's your eye that matters, it's your preference that matters.

You should consider:
- First focal plane (FFP) or Second focal plane (SFP) for the reticle
- Will you use the reticle for holdovers? If so, are you willing to learn the elevation hold overs/unders for distances other than your zero? Or do you want a factory-designed holdover reticle with estimated elevation holds for ballpark target distances?
- Will you dial elevation, when shooting at distances other than your zero?
- Do you have a preference for mil vs. MOA, assuming you will dial elevation or using reticle with mil or MOA hash marks?

Sorry, but I laugh when people get hung up on scope weights, when the scopes are in the same weight class:
- 21.5 ounces -- Vortex 1-10x Razor
- 21.0 ounces -- NF 1-8x ATACR
- 17.0 ounces -- NF 1-8x NX8
- 20.5 ounces -- NF 2.5-10x42 NXS -- the other versions of the 2.5-10x aren't in the same league. Not even close.
These are not a NF 7-35x ATACR, weighing in at a pudgy 40 ounces.
I've carried heavy competition rifles for miles. A few ounces here and there is insignificant. It's more important that the scope's magnification, controls, and reticle works for you.

posted Hide Post
I'm a NF guy. That's been my go to and I've had really good experience over a very long time. I normally run the ATACR 1-8 or an aimpoint on anything I consider 'serious'. But when you get down to a shorter barrel (on the 17 its 13) you just plain run out of real estate for everything I like to potentially run on the gun. And the NX8 is short. So that's what I use in this very specific situation. Not a weight issue, but a length issue. just a consideration depending on how you intend to set it up.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post